flag items as "missing" from playlist instead of removing them

Jägs

I've recently switched from Subsonic to Emby for music streaming and one nice feature that Subsonic has is that if an item in a playlist is missing—has been removed, renamed, etc.—it is flagged as missing (see attached image).

Because Subsonic is not entirely tag based in its organization—it's based of folder hierarchy—it's a bit more forgiving if things are not tagged correctly.  Now that I'm in Emby, I'm trying to clean up things using MusicBrainz Picard, but once a song is renamed after being properly tagged, and if it was in a playlist, it is simply removed from that playlist.  That said, it would be great if Emby could flag these missing items in playlists instead of removing them. 

My particular use case is for music, but I imagine this would be useful for other content as well.

Thanks for your consideration!

subsonic missing.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...
Jägs

Apologies if this is not allowed, but I just wanted to bump this item.  To get my music to better "behave" with Emby, I'm trying to tag everything with MusicBrainz which usually means renaming the files—I know I can disable this, but I'm going for consistency.  This means that any music that was in a playlist simply disappears without trace, making it difficult to maintain them. 

I've been trying to rebuild the playlists as I've been tagging but it is a tedious process as I have quite a few them and I never am completely sure I catch everything, so having Emby do something similar to Subsonic would be very useful.

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, Jägs said:

I'm trying to tag everything with MusicBrainz which usually means renaming the files

You don't need to rename files to change/update embedded tags.  What program are you using as they all should have options to not rename or reorganize?

But I see how renaming and or reorganizing will break playlists though.

I would assume when Devs get to revamping Playlists, this can be something that is looked at.

Jägs
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

You don't need to rename files to change/update embedded tags.  What program are you using as they all should have options to not rename or reorganize?

But I see how renaming and or reorganizing will break playlists though.

I would assume when Devs get to revamping Playlists, this can be something that is looked at.

I'm using Picard and I know I can disable renaming—which I do, sometimes—but some of my files are so wrongly named or poorly formatted (e.g., "Track 1.flac," etc.) that I want to change their names.  Another issue I didn't note is that I'm also deduplicating as I go—the tagging helps this—so sometimes I delete from a file in a compilations that I had linked to the playlist and need to re-associate the file with the remaining one after deduplication.

Edited by Jägs