Video transcoding options

nevolex

HI guys :)

I have noticed that Emby is a little bit worse when it comes to transcoded videos streamed to mobile devices on an average quality  mobile network 

I think it just uses  different logic compare to Plex, for example Plex starts on lower bitrate and resolution, dynamically adjusting  as the traffic flows and "connection stabilises"

Emby on the other hand starts with quite  a high quality stream initially that might result in a stutter / buffering until connection speeds up.

I tried to test  a 4k file over the mobile network it took almost a minute to open, played a bit and stopped - changed the bitrate to 720p and the stream was perfect

Another thing is you cannot really adjust the stream until the video actually arrives so you have to wait until it starts playing somehow and then the cogwheel button shows up to adjust the quality 

so wanted to ask please

- Is there anything can be adjusted, maybe Emby also starts with lower quality first on  slow mobile networks and gets better  as it goes

- can we adjust a quality of the video file before it starts playing on the device?

Thank you all

Edited by nevolex

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, nevolex said:

Is there anything can be adjusted, maybe Emby also starts with lower quality first on  slow mobile networks and gets better  as it goes

Emby does not dynamically change the playback sessions.  Pretty much first come first server with available bandwidth.  Auto tries to start at the best available bandwidth.  I personally just apply a "Internet streaming bitrate limit" so no one person/device tries to use all available bandwidth. 

5 minutes ago, nevolex said:

can we adjust a quality of the video file before it starts playing on the device?

All clients have a playback quality setting.  But this is for the device for all playback not just the current item.

3 hours ago, ebr said:

Thank you ebr and Happy2Play for explanation, so basically Emby cannot adjust the sessions just yet, that post is from 2 years ago, do you guys think it might take a while to implement?

In my case I cannot apply internet limit bitrate limit, because I use VPN to access emby across the internet, Emby is not allowed to  be accessible directly

Thank you

From my experience Emby developers always listen  to people wishes ))

Edited by nevolex