TV Shows - Season 0 episodes and specials being put into the same folder

jmsaxman

jmsaxman

I'm relatively new to Emby, but I've been extremely impressed with it so far :)

One issue I've been trying to figure out how to address is TV shows that legitimately have a season 0, such as MST3K.  I'm finding that all of the season 0 episodes are getting put into the same display folder with the various specials that I have in my collection, and that folder is called "Specials".  I have all of my season 0 episodes in a subdirectory called "Season 0", and all of the specials in a separate subdirectory called "Specials".

I've also tested enabling and disabling the "Display specials within the season they aired in" advanced library option with no change in behavior.  I've also started editing the metadata for the specials to ensure that the season listed is null instead of 0, but this also doesn't seem to be changing the behavior so far.

Is there anything else I can do to display the season 0 episodes (for MST3K, these are also sometimes referred to as the KTMA episodes or the Season K episodes) separately from the specials?

I'm running Emby Server 4.5.4.0 on Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS.

Edited by jmsaxman
correct a typo

Hello jmsaxman,

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Happy2Play

No not that I am aware of as Specials and Season 0 are the same thing to Emby.

Specials
Specials should be named using one of the following season folder names:

Season 0
Season 00
Specials

GrimReaper
17 minutes ago, jmsaxman said:

I'm relatively new to Emby, but I've been extremely impressed with it so far :)

One issue I've been trying to figure out how to address is TV shows that legitimately have a season 0, such as MST3K.  I'm finding that all of the season 0 episodes are getting put into the same display folder with the various specials that I have in my collection, and that folder is called "Specials".  I have all of my season episodes in a subdirectory called "Season 0", and all of the specials in a separate subdirectory called "Specials".

I've also tested enabling and disabling the "Display specials within the season they aired in" advanced library option with no change in behavior.  I've also started editing the metadata for the specials to ensure that the season listed is null instead of 0, but this also doesn't seem to be changing the behavior so far.

Is there anything else I can do to display the season 0 episodes (for MST3K, these are also sometimes referred to as the KTMA episodes or the Season K episodes) separately from the specials?

I'm running Emby Server 4.5.4.0 on Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS.

TVDB (if your default metadata scraper for TV Shows) also lists them under Specials, S00E00 to S00E21, so they'll at least be at the beginning of the list. 

GrimReaper

@Happy2Play

What do you think, could he possibly scrape the metadata as is, with nfos enabled, then make a non-existent Season folder (for this particular Show, TVDB lists 12 season, so I reckon Season 20 should be high enough to accommodate for any future potential ones? Heck, he might as well go with S50), bunch-rename to S50Exx and move all files into that folder, rescan library? Will Emby accommodate that scenario? 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Process

pwhodges

I have found that (so long as you disable merging folders of the same series) you can get away with breaking the naming conventions.

My chief example is the anime series known as "-monogatari", which was broadcast rather haphazardly.  The seasons contained several stories, but some stories were broadcast separately, not as part of a "season", and some, but not all, of those were given s00 numbering.  The numbering on TVDB makes zero sense for actually presenting the sequence of stories in a way that matches how they were written.

I named the folders and files as shown in this example of the filing (the "cover" images I supplied - they are the covers of the books that each season corresponds to):

monofiles.thumb.jpg.ebcbb13ea5abfddd395f4c783f090905.jpg

and this gives me the "seasons" which I actually want, like this (including one for actual specials, in the usual way):

monoemby.thumb.jpg.2f5972f4a7bc10cd44cac91aaf94040b.jpg

Naturally, the episodes in each story end up being shown with strange numbering, often not starting at 1, but the metadata is all there, and it works for me.

Of course, as this is not in accord with Emby's defined naming conventions, there is always the possibility that a future version of Emby will break it - but it hasn't yet!

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
  • Like 1

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

I have found that (so long as you disable merging folders of the same series) you can get away with breaking the naming conventions.

My chief example is the anime series known as "-monogatari", which was broadcast rather haphazardly.  The seasons contained several stories, but some stories were broadcast separately, not as part of a "season", and some, but not all, of those were given s00 numbering.  The numbering on TVDB makes zero sense for actually presenting the sequence of stories in a way that matches how they were written.

I named the folders and files as shown in this example of the filing (the "cover" images I supplied - they are the covers of the books that each season corresponds to):

monofiles.thumb.jpg.ebcbb13ea5abfddd395f4c783f090905.jpg

and this gives me the "seasons" which I actually want, like this (including one for actual specials, in the usual way):

monoemby.thumb.jpg.2f5972f4a7bc10cd44cac91aaf94040b.jpg

Naturally, the episodes in each story end up being shown with strange numbering, often not starting at 1, but the metadata is all there, and it works for me.

Of course, as this is not in accord with Emby's defined naming conventions, there is always the possibility that a future version of Emby will break it - but it hasn't yet!

Paul

In that case he might just move those files into "Season 50", without renaming nor nfos? 

Happy2Play
14 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

@Happy2Play

What do you think, could he possibly scrape the metadata as is, lock the item, then make a non-existent Season folder (for this particular Show, TVDB lists 12 season, so I reckon Season 20 should be high enough to accommodate for any future potential ones? Heck, he might as well go with S50), bunch-rename to S50Exx and move all files into that folder, rescan library? Will Emby accommodate that scenario? Would nfos facilitate in that case? 

Yes from a fake metadata standpoint this can be done.  But there are other ways as shown above.

my1.jpg.b307ac22a88c530a5b17adeb9033b32a.jpg

my2.thumb.jpg.a0d05fca895475ca7667f160b6f8c79c.jpg

Applies season 99 to Season and episode metadata.

• Like 1