Show IPTC description or Exif when looking at photos.

12vibes

Hi

It would be helpful to me and perhaps others if the IPTC description could be shown when viewing photos.

Thanks really enjoy Emby and you have helped me a lot so I have signed up to Premiere.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Hi there, yes we plan to expand on photo presentations and features in future updates. thanks for the feedback.

• 4 months later...
sfatula

Yeah, what Emby calls "Overview" in photos metadata, would sure be nice if there was a way in the client to overlay photos with button click of some sort while viewing. Yes, I know you can "edit metadata" in web interface and such but not speaking of that, just view the comments (er Overview). And original date as well (Emby says "Release Date")

I add comments ("Overview") in the photo metadata for some photos for memory sake and it would be nice to be able to see those. Emby correctly captures them.

Edited by sfatula
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...

If you have a some good photo files for testing that contain a range of iptc/exif/xmp metadata, then please zip them up and attach them here and I'll make sure Emby Server supports reading all of the embedded information.

Thanks !

• Like 1

sfatula

I will do my best to get to this and get you some. I just got back from a couple weeks in the Virgin Islands and need to catch up on all sorts of things first!

• Thanks 1

sfatula

Here's 3 photos (and an XMP sidecar). All of these photos have a title and a caption, when viewing photos, I like to see the title and caption overlaid or easily accessible at least. I picked one of each file type I use.

Sample Photos.zip

3 hours ago, sfatula said:

Here's 3 photos (and an XMP sidecar). All of these photos have a title and a caption, when viewing photos, I like to see the title and caption overlaid or easily accessible at least. I picked one of each file type I use.

Sample Photos.zip 21.28 MB · 0 downloads

Excellent, thanks !

• 2 weeks later...
espoulin

I also want to see this. I was using Plex (pretty much only for home photos and videos) and finally took the plunge with Emby and am pleased to see that it reads metadata! But yes, the only thing lacking, the only thing I need, is for Emby to display that metadata when viewing a photo. For example, I have scanned photos where as I'm scanning, I write a metadata caption of whatever is written on the back. Emby shows it in overview (and I can edit it there), but it won't display. I'd like the caption displayed, as well as the date that I add in the metadata (when the picture was taken).

We like to view home photos and video on our TV, and also share our home gallery with my in-laws who also like to view on their TV at their place. That would be my primary use for Emby (we stream movies and TV in a streaming app).

• 4 months later...

After a long time I installed Emby on my TrueNAS Scale Server yesterday and I am positively surprised at first sight.
A pleasant surprise was that Emby now reads some metadata of photos. Unfortunately, the AppleTV app cannot handle this.

Two improvements:
- It should be possible to sort the photos by the date they were taken. This should be the default setting.
- It would be nice if Emby could also read the tags for faces. There is the IPTC4xmpExt PersonInImage field for faces. DAM-Software like Mylio, Neofinder, etc. is using this field for faces. https://www.iptc.org/std/photometadata/specification/IPTC-PhotoMetadata#person-shown-in-the-image

Edited by 27k
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
dlynch

I would also like the ability to display either captions or titles with my photos….This would be fantastic when showing photos on the TV to someone…

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
luser

It would be amazing if someone from Emby could document what metadata tags can be used for each file type. Here are the "supported" (utilized) quicktime tags I've found through testing:

For images (png, jpg), I've only been able to get the "Title" XMP tag to work. All others (description, copyright, genre, and so on) don't work.

It's a mystery when/if/how emby uses embedded metadata. I'd be so appreciative if an emby developer with access to the closed-source code could document this and potentially extend functionality (support more embedded tags). I prefer to tag files myself. This way I don't have to rely on the integrity of an emby database; lose the database, lose ALL your metadata.

Final thought:
This feature ALREADY exists. I'm just asking for it to be documented and for potentially more tags to be supported.

Edited by luser
  • Thanks 1

luser

I submitted a new request, but it's loosely related to this one

• Thanks 1