Allow Hardware Transcoding?

msloat

Planning on getting a HDhomerun Extend here shortly.  I am having issues with my DS418 transcoding.  The micro can't handle so I thought if i got a Extend then it would do most the work. I have not been with Emby long so I wanted to ask about this Allow Hardware Transcoding.  Will this option allow the Extend to do all the work and save it as a 720 instead of something larger?  Or did I just waste my money?

1 minute ago, Luke said:

Hi, in most cases, yes, although there could be cases where Emby will transcode on top of that.

To stop it from that would I just disable transcoding?

2 minutes ago, Luke said:

To stop what exactly?

6 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, in most cases, yes, although there could be cases where Emby will transcode on top of that.

As you were saying that it would allow it to save as a lower resolution in most cases.  But other times it would transcode.   Logically I was thinking if I disabled transcoding  also for users it would stop that.  Unless you are talking about the saved file.  

Correct. If the server is transcoding on top of the HDHR already transcoding, then there's a good reason for it, so it's better to look at that reason rather than just turn things off and risk causing problems.

1 minute ago, Luke said:

Correct. If the server is transcoding on top of the HDHR already transcoding, then there's a good reason for it, so it's better to look at that reason rather than just turn things off and risk causing problems.

So in other words (because I wasn't thinking in these terms initially) it should work all the time but if it doesn't I should say something so you guys can fix it. Correct?   I was expecting to dance around this if it didn't work.  Thanks.

No, it will always work, but you may still get server transcoding depending on your setup and configuration. That's what you would look at. It's not something you would report a problem on.

mastrmind11
1 hour ago, msloat said:

So in other words (because I wasn't thinking in these terms initially) it should work all the time but if it doesn't I should say something so you guys can fix it. Correct?   I was expecting to dance around this if it didn't work.  Thanks.

To clarify, emby will transcode if the client accessing the server is unable to play the native format stored on the server.  What Luke was trying to say is that in this situation it's not an emby problem, its a format problem causing your client to request a transcoded version of the media.  So basically, if you're trying to not transcode on your server at all, ensure all of your clients are able to play the media type natively.

16 minutes ago, mastrmind11 said:

To clarify, emby will transcode if the client accessing the server is unable to play the native format stored on the server.  What Luke was trying to say is that in this situation it's not an emby problem, its a format problem causing your client to request a transcoded version of the media.  So basically, if you're trying to not transcode on your server at all, ensure all of your clients are able to play the media type natively.

Wasn't sure where he was going with his explanation.  But this helps.

• Like 1

So I got my HDhomerun extend today.  Did some recordings but it doesn't seem to record at the default, which I set to mobile.  Is this normal and is there a way I can change it?  So that the recorded video isn't so high.

Edited by msloat

14 hours ago, msloat said:

So I got my HDhomerun extend today.  Did some recordings but it doesn't seem to record at the default, which I set to mobile.  Is this normal and is there a way I can change it?  So that the recorded video isn't so high.

Currently recordings are requested from the tuner at original quality, although configuration around this is always possible for the future. Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Luke said:

Currently recordings are requested from the tuner at original quality, although configuration around this is always possible for the future. Thanks.

Ok thank you.  That would be cool to set it as internet480.