Still no HDR on Apple TV 4K

Lexizilla

vdatanet
7 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

You will have to ask Apple that question.  Will they support the native playback of MKV files or will they continue to refuse to use this open standard and stick with mp4.  Since Apple LOVES to make their devices force you to use their content, the answer is more than likely a big no, as introducing mkv support would open the floodgates to media piracy.  At least that is what they are probably thinking.  I would not be surprised if the new box makes it even more difficult to play your own content.

It is clear that Apple will never add support for MKV direct playback. The question should be, Any chance HLS fMP4 will become available in the future on Emby Server? or Any chance HDR passthrough, dynamic range, frame rate match and DTS decoding will become available in the future on Emby MPV player for Apple TV? If none of these questions have an affirmative answer, the future of the application is seriously compromised.

vdatanet
36 minutes ago, Yorin01 said:

If infuse can do the job why can’t Emby ? 

That is the same question rephrased in another way. 😀

Lexizilla

Not only the Infuse App ,MrMC and Plex can do it as well.

For me it looks like, that Emby had no focus on Apple TV. In my opionen is that a big fault.
The Apple TV Hardware and Software is much better then the most of the Android Boxes. I had a lot of those Android Devices in the past, but they are only good for Kodi, Plex and so on, but if you like to have Netflix, Prime and so on also in 4K without any Problems, they all runs into big problems :(

I´m thinking about to switch back to Plex.
everything works for now in abo pricing modells. And paying two apps monthly for one function feels not right.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

vdatanet
8 minutes ago, Lexizilla said:

For me it looks like, that Emby had no focus on Apple TV. In my opionen is that a big fault.
The Apple TV Hardware and Software is much better then the most of the Android Boxes. I had a lot of those Android Devices in the past, but they are only good for Kodi, Plex and so on, but if you like to have Netflix, Prime and so on also in 4K without any Problems, they all runs into big problems :(

everything works for now in abo pricing modells. And paying two apps monthly for one function feels not right.

Indeed, I think Emby has given up on Apple TV users, most of the users who used to post on Apple's forums have pretty much disappeared completely.

Yes, it is true that the application has improved, but not enough.

• Like 2

sross44
25 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Indeed, I think Emby has given up on Apple TV users, most of the users who used to post on Apple's forums have pretty much disappeared completely.

Yes, it is true that the application has improved, but not enough.

I would love to hear from some of the developers on this? Beyond just "we are focused on improving all of our applications". Is there any focus on the Apple TV interface at all? I don't need/want a specific road map, but just a general, this is what we'd like to see down the road. Sadly I find myself going back to Plex more and more for things like 4K HDR movies and live TV when using Apple TV. I just prefer the Apple TV interface over Roku, Android etc etc. Infuse is great, but why pay for multiple programs (I'm a lifetime Emby premier subscriber) when Plex does it all built in? 

Just my thoughts on all of this and someone who genuinely wants to see improvement here. 

• Like 4

samuelqwe

I really don’t understand how, something that is at the core of the media server experience, has been set aside for so long. It’s really strange how it has not really received many improvements over the last few years, while many third-party apps have received improvements in this area.

I understand that there might be obstacles in getting to that point, but it really feels like Apple TV users are being ignored.

• Like 5

Yorin01
1 hour ago, Lexizilla said:

Good to know Plex can play 4K HDR on Apple TV. I have a lifetime Emby and Plex pass, so I will move back to Plex, however I prefer Emby. But I really want to get the most out of my HomePods with Apple TV. Shame on Emby developers and the silence on this matter.

Edited by Yorin01
  • Like 6

Lexizilla

Nice idea, but i don´t think, that the emby team has focus on the Apple TV.
I migrated my database to Plex already and use the native Plex App on the Apple TV. It works great inkl. Dolby Vision in MP4 and MKV Files.
I canceld my empy premium account.

• Like 1

sross44
57 minutes ago, Lexizilla said:

Nice idea, but i don´t think, that the emby team has focus on the Apple TV.
I migrated my database to Plex already and use the native Plex App on the Apple TV. It works great inkl. Dolby Vision in MP4 and MKV Files.
I canceld my empy premium account.

Sadly I catch myself using Plex more and more because of all of that. I don't love Plex by any stretch, but on the Apple TV devices, I do catch myself using Plex a lot more. So I do have to run Emby and Plex side by side. I'd love for there to be a bigger focus on Apple TV. Plex has uniform apps across all their devices including Apple TV. Emby seems to say Apple TV won't allow that somehow. Still have yet to figure out why the Apple TV experience is so different on Emby when using the Apple TV versus an android based device or Roku. 

• Like 2

arrbee99

I thought I'd get myself one of them newfangled Apple TV 4Ks. Can I assume that most of the problems mentioned here and elsewhere go away if you use Infuse or maybe MrMC in conjunction with Emby ?

vdatanet
8 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

I thought I'd get myself one of them newfangled Apple TV 4Ks. Can I assume that most of the problems mentioned here and elsewhere go away if you use Infuse or maybe MrMC in conjunction with Emby ?

Yes, using Infuse is a good workaround. But you don't get the same experience as using Emby. It's just a video player which must synchronize the metadata, although there is a plugin that makes this action practically instantaneous.

arrbee99

Sounds promising.

Would that be an Emby plugin or a Infuse plugin or.....(never used AppleTV before)

vdatanet
1 minute ago, arrbee99 said:

Sounds promising.

Would that be an Emby plugin or a Infuse plugin or.....(never used AppleTV before)

That's an Emby plugin that helps to sync Apple TV local data with Emby server. It even works in background with the Apple TV on standby. Metadata is synced and artwrok is fetched on the fly.

• Like 1

vdatanet

BTW I forgot to mention that as long as we have enough bandwidth, using Infuse we have direct play of any kind of content including DTS, DTS-MA... HDR passthrough and if necessary (our display does not support HDR) HDR to SDR tone-mapping perfect.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

sfatula
On 4/22/2021 at 1:31 AM, vdatanet said:

It is clear that Apple will never add support for MKV direct playback. The question should be, Any chance HLS fMP4 will become available in the future on Emby Server? or Any chance HDR passthrough, dynamic range, frame rate match and DTS decoding will become available in the future on Emby MPV player for Apple TV? If none of these questions have an affirmative answer, the future of the application is seriously compromised.

Yeah, HLS fMP4 would be great esp for remote users for smooth playback under varying conditions. 

10 minutes ago, sfatula said:

Yeah, HLS fMP4 would be great esp for remote users for smooth playback under varying conditions. 

Why do you think switching from ts to fmp4 would have an impact on "smooth playback under varying conditions"?

sfatula

In an ultimate world, fmp4/abr. Right now, remote playback is highly variable and finicky.

59 minutes ago, sfatula said:

fmp4/abr

The ability to have multiple bitrates within the container is completely unrelated to fmp4.  That is a feature of HLS and could be utilized with what we are doing now.  However, it isn't very practical in our environment.  When you see this used by the major streaming providers, they are delivering pre-encoded streams - not live transcoded ones.

sfatula
3 hours ago, ebr said:

The ability to have multiple bitrates within the container is completely unrelated to fmp4.  That is a feature of HLS and could be utilized with what we are doing now.  However, it isn't very practical in our environment.  When you see this used by the major streaming providers, they are delivering pre-encoded streams - not live transcoded ones.

I understand it's unrelated to fmp4. But we were discussing fmp4. I merely added on extra feature to go along with it to make remote users have a much better experience than today.

I also understand they are using pre encoded streams.  However, it could be done live as well. I am merely imagining the ideal setup, for us at least. Local/remote, smooth playback. As an example, Wowza can generate adaptive from live content, not the only game in town.

Even better than hls fmp4 is LL HLS/fMP4.

Edited by sfatula

sfatula
On 5/4/2021 at 5:13 PM, arrbee99 said:

I use infuse with Emby and it works great. Missing things include live tv, guide, dvr timers, etc.  But for playing dvr recordings or movie library, pretty much plays anythings and you can make it look like Emby. It also has additional features Emby is missing, and I like their rating integration better.

arrbee99
25 minutes ago, sfatula said:

I use infuse with Emby and it works great. Missing things include live tv, guide, dvr timers, etc.  But for playing dvr recordings or movie library, pretty much plays anythings and you can make it look like Emby. It also has additional features Emby is missing, and I like their rating integration better.

Thanks. Sounds promising. Pity bout the Live TV though. Hopefully a fair bit of that will be covered by On Demand apps for local TV anyway.

Can be made to look like Emby - Is that an Infuse skin or something ?

sfatula
1 hour ago, arrbee99 said:

Thanks. Sounds promising. Pity bout the Live TV though. Hopefully a fair bit of that will be covered by On Demand apps for local TV anyway.

Can be made to look like Emby - Is that an Infuse skin or something ?

No, just configurable feature of infuse, can rearrange, add/subtract things, etc. For livetv, Emby app actually works now, at least for me. You can schedule via IOS/Android app, or, pc. I actually don't watch any live tv for the most part, living room uses Tvs tuner, theater room would use Emby for live tv but for me that's a few times a year. 

I do record a lot of live tv, but only play back using infuse once it's recorded. I can wait, lol.

arrbee99

Also don't do a lot of live tv, but despite that usual comments around here of the rubbish they show, some of its actually pretty decent.

Obviously, one size fits all would be nice, but the Emby app apparently has its HDR bug thing and Infuse doesn't do Live TV like Emby. Might try MrMC which I think is on TV 4Ks and does both, but thats another interface to get used to.

I generally use our Shield, but thought, what the hell, lets see if Apple TV 4Ks are as good as Apple says they are...