Automatic export and sync of playlists to m3u

sjkiss

Hi there:

My current set-up involves a music library stored on a QNAP web server running an Asset UPnP server and played through a HEOS at home and through the Emby web interface at work.  One of the really nice features of Emby as opposed to Plex is that it allows for access to playlists created in the web interface through its media server. However the Emby media server is *not* as reliable as the Asset Server. But, I cannot make playlists directly through Asset, but it will read and play m3u playlists that are saved on the NAS. It would be really great help if Emby playlists could be *automatically exported or synced to m3u lists in real-time.* This would let me play with, create or modify playlists in Emby and then have those immediately and always available on my HEOS. Thank you. 

• Like 2

MBSki

If you can get all your playlists into m3u's, you can edit in Emby, and then point HEOS at Emby rather than the Asset UPnP server. I originally created all my music playlists in Windows Media Player and saved as m3u's. All my editing of the music playlists is done in Emby unless I just want to copy / paste using Notepad to move things around a little easier. When I use HEOS, I just select the Emby DLNA server and queue up my m3u playlists. the only issue I had was that the Emby Server would keep disappearing in the HEOS app. Once I changed the blast alive messages to 10 seconds it started to work more reliably. Now I rarely see it drop from HEOS. 

Are you seeing different reliability issues with Emby? I know for me Emby always drops when going from WiFi to Mobile, but that seems to happen with most of my apps. Emby is just worse at making the transition.

image.png.0dc5bb3870c230ad1493443e97350a5f.png 

Yes, I know, but I tried to say that the Emby DLNA server is *not* as good as the Asset UpnP Server. Just as an example: On Asset, you can search through Album Artists by with names grouped into categories, eg. ABC, DEF, GHI. It makes searching *much* quicker. With Emby, you get a screen with all Album Artists at one shot; If you want to listen to ZZ Top, you'd be scrolling forever!

MBSki
12 minutes ago, sjkiss said:

Yes, I know, but I tried to say that the Emby DLNA server is *not* as good as the Asset UpnP Server. Just as an example: On Asset, you can search through Album Artists by with names grouped into categories, eg. ABC, DEF, GHI. It makes searching *much* quicker. With Emby, you get a screen with all Album Artists at one shot; If you want to listen to ZZ Top, you'd be scrolling forever!

Yes, agreed. Same thing with Serviio which I used for a long time. Is your QNAP server also your Emby server? what about just making all the playlists m3u's and just pointing Emby and Asset UPnP at the same m3u playlists?

I have Asset and Emby both installed on my server and running. Both read the same music libraries. It's just that Asset does a far better job interacting with the HEOS then the Emby server does. If I make the playlists in Emby I can export them as m3Us and Asset will read them and so they will be accessible by the HEOS. But that does not solve the problem of syncing! 

MBSki
11 minutes ago, sjkiss said:

But that does not solve the problem of syncing! 

What are you trying to sync if both servers are using the same m3u's? Sorry, I'm not understanding. If there's only 1 version of m3u's, there's nothing to sync.

The m3us are created either in Emby via export or by other music software. When they are exported onto the NAS, then Asset can read them. I would like Emby to automatically sync or export the playlists in Emby to m3u so that any changes I make in Emby are immediately available on Asset.

MBSki
8 minutes ago, sjkiss said:

The m3us are created either in Emby via export or by other music software. When they are exported onto the NAS, then Asset can read them. I would like Emby to automatically sync or export the playlists in Emby to m3u so that any changes I make in Emby are immediately available on Asset.

Sorry, I'm not following. Emby can consume m3u's. Stop exporting. Just let Emby and Asset use the same m3u's. There is no need to export or sync if you just use m3u's. If you're creating NEW playlists in Emby, then the playlists won't be m3u's, I get that, but you can create a shell of an m3u for any new playlists, Emby and Asset will then pick it up, make your edits to the the new m3u in Emby and as long as Asset is pointing at the same m3u it'll refresh with the changes you made to the m3u. I would do the same exact thing with Serviio and Emby. Both just pointed at the exact same directory for m3u's and I made my edits in Emby. If I ever wanted a new playlist, I'd just copy and paste an m3u file to the playlist directory and as soon as Emby picked it up, I'd started editing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, yes at some point I would like to drop our proprietary playlist xml and just have our playlist features generate regular m3u files.

• Like 2

MBSki
48 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, yes at some point I would like to drop our proprietary playlist xml and just have our playlist features generate regular m3u files.

So, set it up so if we create a new playlist in Emby it would actually generate an m3u that we can also edit with notepad? That would be great if that's what you're saying.

• Like 1

sjkiss

That's what I would love to see myself. I mean, I would not really use the editing feature. I would just like other players that to be able to access the playlists. 

• Like 1

sjkiss
On 4/5/2021 at 2:12 PM, Luke said:

I'm just curious @Luke: what are the barriers to this? Is it technical? Is there some advantage Emby gets by using XML?

• 8 months later...
VicMoore

I have created a javascript tool for building emby playlists. I can select library content and use the emby API's to create and edit playlists.  I would now like to convert the emby playlist into an m3u8 file. I think I can easily do it but don't know how to convert the Path info from Emby to the URL needed by an msu8 file. My code is below. I think all I need to do is figure out what URL I need to reach the emby library.  If anyone knows how to do this I would be grateful for the URL data.  My goal is to create IPTV playlists to play my emby content in a channel like format. In other words, I would create an IPTV m3u8 channel and EPG for emby.  Then with my IPTV client I can watch emby like it is a cable channel.   I know about virtualTV and it's my favorite plugin.  I am doing this project as a way to learn iptv and the emby API.

Vic

EmbyTagApp22.html

Painkiller8818
1 hour ago, VicMoore said:

I think all I need to do is figure out what URL I need to reach the emby library

Is there an API to get the local IP or WAN IP? so you can grab the needed URL, after that you could replace the local or NFS Path with the correct one, eg using regex.

28 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

Is there an API to get the local IP or WAN IP? so you can grab the needed URL, after that you could replace the local or NFS Path with the correct one, eg using regex.

Yes there is.

VicMoore

What I dont know is how to put them together to create the URL that I need in the m3u8 file.

Vic