UHD Movie Playback

DHos

Running Windows 10 x64, Emby server 4.5.4.0.  Finally have the tools to rip my UHD discs and am having some issues on playback. First tried playing through the server and could not get 7.1 sound, now understand that not supported via browser. Emby theater (both 3.014 and the mpv test build 3.12) give me 7.1 sound, but I h=get stuttering video. Stats for nerds show constant frame dropping. I have tried both libmpv and gpu for video output as well as some of the other video options. I can play the video via Microsofts Movie & TV app (with the HEVC extension) but would really like to have all within Emby. I did try adding the Movies & TV app via external players and the video worked, but, I could not get 7.1 sound. Am I missing a setting or..... 

Just a note that it is direct playing and not transcoding.

Thanks

Edited by DHos

A little more info in case it helps. The movie plays well until the video bit rate goes over 60Mbps, then the frames start dropping and the video stutters. I have tried most of the video settings and nothing seems to help. Any ideas.....

Well, I loaded emby theater on my main PC in another room and I am able to direct play the same movie with libmpv (which my theater machine just displays a blue screen for video, have to select gpu). Would this be indicating that the video on my processor (i5 4690k w/ Intel HD 4600 graphics) can't keep up? Or, am I missing something?  Thanks

Edited by DHos

Try setting local downmix to stereo. This worked for the same direct play 4k video stuttering issue I was having on a Shieldtv. No clue why though. Since I dont need anything more than stereo on that one I have let things be as its running flawlessly now. 

If it works well then maybe itll help narrow things down.

Edited by arx237

• 4 months later...

Brought this back up just in case someone else has a similar issue. It does seem to be that my video (intel HD4600) was not able to keep up. Added an outboard video card (GeForce 1050 ti) and am not seeing the issue. Even on John Wick 2 which can hit 80 something Mbps. Probably should have seen this from the get go.

• Like 1