Setting to Optimize Streaming

sundevil67

sundevil67

When watching live TV through Emby, I get some skipping & failures (returns to channel screen, cutting broadcast). About 50% of the time, it's annoying enough to switch to VLC, where it streams flawlessly. Therefore I'm wondering if there is some setting I might be able to adjust to perhaps reduce the bandwidth requirements or otherwise smooth out the stream so I can stick with Emby.

• Like 1

sundevil67

Of course now, when I go back to try and isolate the issue, it's not happening. It's always pretty intermittent & difficult to pin down. Next time it starts happening again, I'll take note of the specifics.

• Like 1

canada99
On 2/14/2021 at 11:44 PM, sundevil67 said:

When watching live TV through Emby, I get some skipping & failures (returns to channel screen, cutting broadcast). About 50% of the time, it's annoying enough to switch to VLC, where it streams flawlessly. Therefore I'm wondering if there is some setting I might be able to adjust to perhaps reduce the bandwidth requirements or otherwise smooth out the stream so I can stick with Emby.

Depending on the device you use for streaming you can set an external iptv player and use vlc as that player to watch live tv, worth a try.

8 hours ago, canada99 said:

Depending on the device you use for streaming you can set an external iptv player and use vlc as that player to watch live tv, worth a try.

That's a good workaround but the ultimate goal should be having Emby handling it just fine.
I also see the same from time to time but it isn't really reproducable and therefore difficult to get a proper log for it.
My big hope is the LiveTV overhaul that is currently ongoing and appears to be something major.

• Like 1

sundevil67
On 2/21/2021 at 3:29 PM, canada99 said:

I have the option to use VLC on my primary "watching" device/setup, but it is a little cumbersome. I'd all but given up on live TV after struggling with unreliable providers and channel mapping issues until a very helpful & generous forum member helped me sort all that out. I use Emby to consume literally every other kind of media, from family photos to podcasts, so now that I'm set up with a reliable IPTV feed, I'd really hoped to stay in Emby for Live TV, and even start being able to count on the DVR. I think I've finally sorted out the problem of scheduled tasks (that halt all other functions) running much more often than necessary (though "refresh Internet channels" still seems to run more frequently than the schedule), but there are still far too many occasions where I still can't maintain a live stream without enough interruptions to send me back to VLC. I hate to say it, but maybe the software has grown to a point where the resources necessary to run Live TV & associated functions are just more than my hardware can handle, even without any scheduled tasks running in the background. I just wish I had a way to confirm that with some certainty before I give up on Live TV until a new Mac Mini is within my budget.

sundevil67

If there's anything in the logs that's related to the live tv issue, it'd be in the ones I posted here. I'm watching a recording right now of the show "Bridge and Tunnel" that I made in Emby by opening the .ts file in VLC directly from the USB drive connected to my media server. It plays without skipping in VLC, but unwatchable if I play from Emby. There's no other tasks running now to eat up CPU resources, so maybe this is the same problem I'm having with live TV. I suppose it's encouraging that it's not recording the skips, and that it's happening during playback. If by directing me to the "how to report a media playback issue" again means I should be doing something more than posting another log file, I'm not seeing it. Thank you.

embyserver.txt

What time did you try to play in this log file? Was there an ffmpeg log? If so then please attach that as well. thanks.

sundevil67
On 2/27/2021 at 10:56 AM, Luke said:

What time did you try to play in this log file? Was there an ffmpeg log? If so then please attach that as well. thanks.

Apologies I've been away for a bit... The FFMPEG log I posted in that other thread would have it; though I'm afraid I don't recall the exact time. Like @neiksaid above, it's really intermittent & hard to intentionally replicate. Sometimes it's fine, more of the time it's not. Right at this moment (and for the last 15 minutes or so) I've been trying to watch live feeds (History Channel & then MSNBC) & it just keeps freezing. I'll add the current FFMPEG & full log here too... time is 10:12am MT 3/7

ffmpeg-transcode-d058c70e-64a8-49e0-8aae-38b1729e1bd7_1.txt embyserver.txt

On 3/7/2021 at 12:15 PM, sundevil67 said:

Apologies I've been away for a bit... The FFMPEG log I posted in that other thread would have it; though I'm afraid I don't recall the exact time. Like @neiksaid above, it's really intermittent & hard to intentionally replicate. Sometimes it's fine, more of the time it's not. Right at this moment (and for the last 15 minutes or so) I've been trying to watch live feeds (History Channel & then MSNBC) & it just keeps freezing. I'll add the current FFMPEG & full log here too... time is 10:12am MT 3/7

ffmpeg-transcode-d058c70e-64a8-49e0-8aae-38b1729e1bd7_1.txt 123.96 kB · 0 downloads embyserver.txt 11.01 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks. As a test, can you try Chrome and see how that compares? Thanks.