DLNA stopped working

intellectually

intellectually

Is there a way I can reset or repair the DLNA service?

After an update my Emby server rarely shows up when trying to connect to the DLNA service. I tired every combination of settings to fix this to no avail although it worked fine previously. When it does show up there is no icon for the server and when trying to connect it just spins and never displays any content. DLNA worked fine for a long time and broke a few months ago. I have used a couple of DLNA clients and no success. The clients I use day to day are primarily TCL roku smart TV's.

I installed the emby 'client' via the roku channels and it works. I can also stream from the went interface. It just seems that DNLA is broken. I am running it on Debian 

I finally got frustrated enough today to come ask for some help. I am running (Debian 4.19.160-2) as a virtual machine on VMware ESXi 6.5. There is no firewall running and all devices are in the same network.

Edited by intellectually

• 4 weeks later...
intellectually

It was the update to 4.5.4.0 I suppose. It automatically updates so I had not worried about it until it broke. I'll be disabling this in the future if it ever works again.

All of my Roku TVs worked previous to this update. Now none of them work. It either does not see the server or on the occasion when the server 'rarely' shows up I select the server and it just sits there spinning and never loads any content. 

Since originally posting this I have tried reinstalling the DLNA plugin on the Emby server. I have also removed and reinstalled "Roku Media Player" on just about every Roku TV in the house (I have 5). And just today out of frustration I installed the 4.6.x beta. Nothing fixes it.

Prior to discovering Emby I had used Plex for years without issue. Out of curiosity I spun up a Plex virtual server and the TV's could see the Plex DLNA server so it seems to be an Emby issue.

I can use the Emby client to access my videos and music (this has worked on every TV) but honestly I only want to use DLNA. I don't want to use the client. This has me so frustrated because it has went on so long. 

• 4 weeks later...
intellectually

I've fixed it. It was the update that jacked it up but not because Emby had bad software. The particular ESXi host it ran on had a dirty air intake filter for the drive array and had cooked a hard drive. Since the media existed on a different datastore (didn't lose anything important) the Emby server was able to function for the most part.

In any event, I moved the Emby server side of things to an SSD datastore and everything this fine once again. Better even, more responsive. No DLNA problems so far after the OS and Emby reinstall.

Thank you for your patience.

Personal Musings::  Real pita to track down because moving videos to the video files datastore obviously showed no problems. And of course they streamed from there without issue. It was only when I started to move packages to the VM and noticed it was very slow and kept pausing that I looked into the drive.

intellectually

I have a tangent question. Is having the Emby server multihomed a problem? It's working fine so far. I didn't want the DLNA interface to route, only to communicate on a broadcast network. I very complex network for home.