Emby App / LG 55UH8509 / Firmware 05.30.95

Petros1974

Petros1974

Hi Folks.

Since yesterday (13.02.2021) the Emby App (Version 1.0.24) is not able to play any media (mkv, mp4, avi) which resides on my Emby Server (4.6.0.22)

On Friday Evening (12.02.2021) everything worked as it should.

I did not alter my configuration on the Emby Server. I did not alter the configuration of the Emby App on the TV.

The Menus, Pictures, Synopsis etc. are shown correctly and as soon I start a Video to play, the Screen goes Black and I have to kill (Magic Remote -> Click X) the App and restart it,

Media play well in Browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Chromium, Edge)

I tried installing latest stable Server Release 4.5.4.0.  No Luck, same thing. Tried Screenplay on LG TV with Server 4.6.022 and Server 4.5.4.0 -> the same.

In the Dashboard you can see the file playing. (Screen attached)
er378099956_Screenshot_2021-02-14Emby.png.599b0b8a7bfe35a4eb8947687ebe7a7f.png

You can also send a Message to the TV. The Message will be displayed correctly. So I think the App does not crash completely.

Streaming over DLNA Plugin (1.0.45) works.

In the Log-File (Debug enabled)  there is no clue why it shouldnt play.

Would be nice if someone would send me in the right direction to solve this mystery.

Regards,

Petros

embyserver.txt

Edited by Petros1974
Uploaded embyserver Logfile

Is it every file or just some files?  It is possible that this does happen on some files on LG. Make sure you try something that you know was working previously. 

Petros1974

Hi SamES,

Been there, done that. 🙂
Nothing plays anymore.
That was my first test, to check if the Movie i watched Friday in the evening worked.
No luck.

Regards,
Petros

Can you play on any other device?  What about just from a web browser?  We need to determine if it is a server or tv issue. 

I can see lots of DLNA traffic. Can you try disabling dlna, even just as a test?  It’s a plug-in now so you can even just delete it and reinstall it later if it’s needed. 

Sorry, just re-read your first post.  Browser ok. I’m curious though if you disable dlna if that changes things

Petros1974

Hi SamES.

Yes..as i wrote in my original Post:
"Media play well in Browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Chromium, Edge)"
I only turned on the DLNA Server to check if the problem at Hand comes from the client "Emby Theater" or the TV.
Usually I never have DLNA turned on.
So we have no luck there either.

Petros1974

For further testing, I installed the Android app and Emby Theater for Windows.
Both work well and stream from the server without any problems.
Right now I'm installing another Raspberry Pi 4 with ubuntu 20.04.01 to install emby theater 3.0.14 on it.
I will then connect the Pi to the LG TV via HDMI.
I'll get back to you soon.

You could try uninstalling the app from the tv, cycle the power, then reinstall. I’ve seen that fix some strange issues. 

Has any thing changed on your network, or any os packages that have been updated on the server?

Petros1974

Please excuse me if I sound precocious....
Uninstalled the app, disconnected the TV from the circuit. Waited 2 minutes, plugged it in and reinstalled the app.
No improvement.
As I said before. No changes were made on either the server or the TV. Automatic updates are turned off on both devices. (Server is raspberry pi 4 (8gb))
The server has been in operation for 260 days till now and has worked flawlessly so far.Emby was used on a daily basis.
Network is also fine. Checked it with Wireshark and netcat during the night. Gigabit copper network. 🙂

No problem, all I can do is throw you some options to try that have worked for others. I’ve not seen this specific issue before, so I don’t have anything obvious to suggest. 

@Lukemight see something in the log. 

what might be useful is to disable dlna, restart the server, test a few playbacks just on the tv, then shutdown the server again and fetch the log. This way we’ll have a very compact log with minimal noise and several playback attempts. That may make it easier to spot an issue. 

Petros1974

I have now set up a new emby server 4.6.0.22.
I have made a selection of files from various codecs and containers available to the server as media.
I started the server and tried to play the media with the TV.
All files were not played. I also had to "kill" and restart the Emby Theater client after each playback attempt on the LG because I could not exit the black screen.
The last media (DivX Avi), was displayed completely garbled (green/blue/red artifacts with no sound).

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-e1ddb85e-8c97-4d19-adf7-a124e120c570_1.txt hardware_detection-63748891614.txt

Edited by Petros1974

So if everything works fine on other devices, then that would suggest the server is fine.

The app has not changed on LG for quite a while, so it shouldn't be an issue.

It comes down to network or TV.

Try rebooting all your network routers/switches just to eliminate that issue, then test again.

Then I would change the network connection on the TV from LAN to WiFI or WiFi to LAN, depending on how you are configured.  This would mostly eliminate the network issues.

After that, I can only suggest a factory reset on the TV, then reinstall the app.

Petros1974

Hi SamES.

Thanks for your advice.
I appreciate your help.

I can really rule out the network.
However, I had already completely restarted the network equipment over the weekend.
I think it will come down to resetting the TV.

If that doesn't work, it CAN only be the server (Hardware-> Raspberry Pi4 8Gb with 64bit raspios), even though no updates have run on the thing.

I will keep you informed.

Regards.

rbjtech

Also be aware on the LG OS you need to explicitly disable Wifi for it to not work - as it will run in preference to a LAN connection if you have both connected.

edit - looking at your log - it is FULL of network errors.

Can you turn off DLNA, rotate the log file and send a fresh log immediately after trying to play something on the LG TV ?

The LG IP is 192.168.178.50 correct ?  Is that the LAN or Wifi address ?

Edited by rbjtech