Won't connect over LAN, but connects over WIFI

hazeee

So basically I set up my Emby, connected on Wifi normally, but bad connection so I get a cable and run it through my house. However, now it won't connect, it just spins until it says connection failed. If I go through PIN it actually starts connecting triggered by me entering the PIN on the website, however, fails again. What could be causing this?

9 hours ago, SamES said:

Try disabling/deleting the Wi-Fi connection in the tv. 

Thank you for your quick reply. It was already disabled.

I would like to add another thing, I am able to connect via the same local IP with my phone. If it matters, both my TV and PC server are connected in the same 5 slot switch which is connected to a router and that router is connected to my main modem. Shouldn't matter but in case it does.

Internet > Modem > Router > Switch < PC server + TV 

Edited by hazeee

On 2/16/2021 at 12:12 AM, Luke said:

Hi, could you try rebooting your TV and router?

I've unplugged and plugged in my router, switch and turned on / off TV (is there another reboot for TV?). Now the connection via PIN immediately throws me to the "connect to server" screen like it ejected. And the manual connection LAN and WAN still gives a failure, just faster.

rbjtech

Can you post the emberserver.txt log please - this will give us an insight into what may be happening.

On 2/18/2021 at 6:57 PM, rbjtech said:

Can you post the emberserver.txt log please - this will give us an insight into what may be happening.

Hey, where could I find that?

Happy2Play

If LAN connections are failing it is usually a firewall issue.  But you say a wifi connections works.  Sounds like a network not being seen as local issue to me.

Are all the devices on the same network subnet?

As for the log all I am seeing is localhost connections.

44 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

If LAN connections are failing it is usually a firewall issue.  But you say a wifi connections works.  Sounds like a network not being seen as local issue to me.

Are all the devices on the same network subnet?

As for the log all I am seeing is localhost connections.

Correct, I could connect with wifi on TV but signal was weak so I used a cable and connected the TV to the same switch where my PC is, and that switch is connected to a router which is getting the connection from main modem in another room. My TV has internet from this connection, just cant connect to the Emby. I wouldnt know what a subnet is...

Happy2Play

Would need to know the IP assigned to TV and Server.  Possibly a IPv6 issue also as that is all I see in log above (loopback ::1)

rbjtech

There is nothing in your log to suggest clients are attempting to connect with your emby server - suggesting they are not on the same network. 

If your TV is plugged into the same switch as the emby server and your pc - there really is very little to go wrong here.

Are you able to provide the IP address of your PC,  Server and ideally from the TV (you'll find it in the menu's somewhere).  They should probably all start with 192.168.somethingA.somethingB

As long as all 3 have the same 192.168.somethingA - but different somethingB - then we can rule out the network.

hazeee
On 2/28/2021 at 1:48 PM, rbjtech said:

There is nothing in your log to suggest clients are attempting to connect with your emby server - suggesting they are not on the same network. 

If your TV is plugged into the same switch as the emby server and your pc - there really is very little to go wrong here.

Are you able to provide the IP address of your PC,  Server and ideally from the TV (you'll find it in the menu's somewhere).  They should probably all start with 192.168.somethingA.somethingB

As long as all 3 have the same 192.168.somethingA - but different somethingB - then we can rule out the network.

Well this is embarrasing. I literally hooked my TV with a 20m cable and drilled two holes in my walls to do this, just to plug in the wrong cable in the TV... 

I'll plug in the correct one tomorrow and that should do the trick. However, why can't I connect with the external connection via Emby PIN? That one starts loading but then just asks me to connect to a server again.

hazeee

Working as intended! However, getting the error no available playback or stream something like that on some MP4 and MKV files. Some work, some dont. Here's a log file again.

embyserver (1).txt

rbjtech

Good news is the network is now all on the same LAN :) .. bad news is your transcoding is not working.

I think this is due to the subtitles (.sub files) - so try playing with subtitles turned off. 

If this then works, then we can look at options, the best being download .SRT subtitles as these will play without transcoding.

rbjtech

Yes, external .SRT is directly playable on most devices without any further processing.

If you only have .sub files, then try and convert them with something like 'Subtitle Edit'  or get the .srt files directly from the subtitle download feature in emby via open subtitles but sync 'may' be an issue.