DiskStation DS1821+

kaledi

Hi, I currently use a WD PR4100 and provides most of what I need in terms of hard ware transcoding etc. I'm thinking about getting a bad with greater storage possibilities and the new DiskStation DS1821+ looks great. The question I have is whether emby is fully compatible with this nas in terms of hardware transcoding etc. Anything the PR4100 can do that the synology can't? 

Hi, yes we support hardware transcoding with that Synology model, and I don't believe there's anything the WD can do that the Synology can't.

Cool, so it doesn't need a gpu or anything to do the transcoding? I ask because it is a rare nas that has an amd ryzen processor 

Right I mean most users are on intel-based Synology's, so that would be my suggestion as it's easier to troubleshoot. But AMD should work using VAAPI.

OK i didn't actually look at the specs of the unit to see what it actually supports.

What i meant to say was, if the NAS supports hardware acceleration, then yes Emby Server can utilize it.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Ok got it.  Luckily nothing of mine needs transcoding which is why I had no problems getting the DS1821+.  The ryzen has better benchmarks for read/write speeds than the Intel models and can still transcode if needed using cpu. 

However, if you need to transcode 4K you may want to consider the DS1520+ which has an Intel processor/gpu like Luke mentioned.  1080p probably won't be an issue

So to be clear. Will it direct play everything if the renderer supports it? I don't need to transcode very frequently, but direct playback is must

Will it direct play everything if the renderer supports it? 

Yes, that's true of the server on any platform.

• Thanks 1

FrostByte

My main clients are the nVidia Shield and Samsung TV apps.  Everything that is supported by those two clients direct plays and renders just fine using my DS1821+.  I'm using the latest server beta .22

18 hours ago, FrostByte said:

My main clients are the nVidia Shield and Samsung TV apps.  Everything that is supported by those two clients direct plays and renders just fine using my DS1821+.  I'm using the latest server beta .22

That's great. I also use shield TV and some 4k fire tv sticks so everything I play direct plays on these bar some audio on fire tvs 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Banquero

En respuesta a todos estos comentarios, decir que yo adquirí un DS1821+..Anteriormente tenía un DS918, con GPU, y la verdad que cuando he necesitado transcodificar, incluso no teniendo el 1821 la GPU, me ha ido mejor en este NAS..Es mucho más rápido y las transcodificaciones de peliculas  en  Emby, sin problemas..

On 4/13/2021 at 1:39 PM, Banquero said:

En respuesta a todos estos comentarios, decir que yo adquirí un DS1821+..Anteriormente tenía un DS918, con GPU, y la verdad que cuando he necesitado transcodificar, incluso no teniendo el 1821 la GPU, me ha ido mejor en este NAS..Es mucho más rápido y las transcodificaciones de peliculas  en  Emby, sin problemas..

Hola, gracias por los comentarios.

• 1 month later...
Midaz
On 4/13/2021 at 2:39 PM, Banquero said:

Question ... How many transcode are we talking about ? 

Banquero
1 minute ago, Midaz said:

Question ... How many transcode are we talking about ? 

No me refiero a transcodificaciones simultaneas en si..Me refiero a la velocidad de transcodificación...Es mucho más rápida que la de mi anterior DS918..Estoy muy contento con este NAS DS1821...Saludos...