how to prevent them from downloading content over the web

danieluna1989

mgworek
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, does this relate to Emby? I don't know anything about JDownloader.

JDownloader lets you take video/music urls and download the files from like youtube and such.

There is nothing in the code on the page that I see when playing a video that give the path to the movie and the url when playing a movie is generic.

I don't see a need to worry about it.

Chyron
35 minutes ago, mgworek said:

JDownloader lets you take video/music urls and download the files from like youtube and such.

There is nothing in the code on the page that I see when playing a video that give the path to the movie and the url when playing a movie is generic.

I don't see a need to worry about it.

Just now, while I played a video in Emby 's Web Client, I opened the Inspector tool and searched for ".mp4". It found a string of code that says

<video>src=[...]stream.mp4[...]</video>

I extracted that whole "src" link and pasted it into a new tab. It streamed the video in the new tab.

image.thumb.png.d3337140a283c34dff74a59ac6af89b7.png

So you can bet that JDownloader (et al.) could probably extract and download this.

Edited by Chyron

mrfragger

You can’t prevent this if they look at the source and copy the src links to videos. Even using javascript with “nodownload” it just prevents from right clicking on the web page. Usually distillvideo and pastedownload will get the links regardless. 

mastrmind11

but you need to authenticate.  so while its possible to use the url after logging in, it's not as if you can just grab the url and send it to someone to download.

Hi.  Since the urls need to be playable by video players that we don't completely control, I'm afraid there is no way we can prevent these types of "grabbing" techniques.  Kind of like how someone can "record" something from Netflix with certain products.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...