ET inuseable on RPI4

nostradamusmc

nostradamusmc

Hi ,

In the past 2 days i tried ET on  RPI4 2GB

i tired the emby-theater-pi image , emby theater 3.0.14 deb files on both ubuntu and raspbian and  i just can't get it to work smooth.

ET interface is super leggy , playing 1080p is almost impossible since it get stuck every second , not to mention 4K videos.

I tried to disable HW acceleration but for some reason i cant change it as it become blank  and always turn back to auto when i exit.

image.thumb.png.ece5b33a151870880b582cb6e527a9a3.png

I managed to play perfectly 4K videos on :

raspbian + vlc

libreELEC + embycon.

It's clearly not HW problem , so it most be something with ET or something i did wrong.

any suggestions ?

Edited by nostradamusmc
  • Like 1

ConsueloRoso

Having the same issue on a Raspberry Pi 4 8GB with latest version of Raspberry Pi OS. Actually it works much smoother if I access through the web browser instead of through Emby Theater.

Not only video, but audio is also horrible in ET

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ET interface is super leggy

Hi, can you give it another try and let me know how it compares now? Thanks.

drinkin_park

@nostradamusmc i am using Raspberry Pi 4 with DietPi OS and it is working fine.

I had some problems too, but all were caused by settings. So I encourage you to first scroll through all settings and get to know how it is working. I dont advise you to quit trying, because even years after using Raspberry machine along with Emby, I found some more things which I can automate and now my media experience is great, I am so happy with it. 

EdwinH
On 7/28/2021 at 7:40 AM, drinkin_park said:

@nostradamusmc i am using Raspberry Pi 4 with DietPi OS and it is working fine.

I had some problems too, but all were caused by settings. So I encourage you to first scroll through all settings and get to know how it is working. I dont advise you to quit trying, because even years after using Raspberry machine along with Emby, I found some more things which I can automate and now my media experience is great, I am so happy with it. 

@drinkin_park 

What version of DietPi OS did you use ?

Could you please share the settings changed ? Does it play H265 as well ?

I would love to try and duplicate your results.

Cheers

Update :

I installed DietPi OS,

then wget ET.3.0.15.deb but installing did not quite go is normal, had to use command below.

sudo apt-get install -f ./emby-theater_3.0.15_arm64.deb

But Emby Theater is not starting :

root@DietPi:~# emby-theater
[1031:0731/110519.850150:FATAL:electron_main_delegate.cc(254)] Running as root without --no-sandbox is not supported. See https://crbug.com/638180.
Trace/breakpoint trap

root@DietPi:~# emby-theater --no-sandbox
Segmentation fault
root@DietPi:~#

dietpi@DietPi:~ $ emby-theater
The futex facility returned an unexpected error code.
Aborted

dietpi@DietPi:~ $ sudo emby-theater
[1090:0731/110644.466969:FATAL:electron_main_delegate.cc(254)] Running as root without --no-sandbox is not supported. See https://crbug.com/638180.
Trace/breakpoint trap

dietpi@DietPi:~ $ sudo emby-theater --no-sandbox
Segmentation fault
dietpi@DietPi:~ $

Using DietPi OS to instal ET is not that straight forward.

Edited by EdwinH

drinkin_park

After installing DietPi you can install Emby from the dietpi-software.

In case you cant, you can follow this guide here from dietpi.com.

@vdatanet help me with this: 

Enable "Allow video playback that requires transcoding", when disabled some apps does not allow change video quality. Enable it and then increase video quality on LG app.

After that, you should disable video transcoding if your TV support 4K and leave audio transcoding checked.

Try it and let us know if that is helpful.

EdwinH
On 8/1/2021 at 11:54 AM, drinkin_park said:

After installing DietPi you can install Emby from the dietpi-software.

In case you cant, you can follow this guide here from dietpi.com.

@vdatanet help me with this: 

Enable "Allow video playback that requires transcoding", when disabled some apps does not allow change video quality. Enable it and then increase video quality on LG app.

After that, you should disable video transcoding if your TV support 4K and leave audio transcoding checked.

Try it and let us know if that is helpful.

Thanks for clarification.

But the Guide link is how EMBY Server is installed into DietPi OS, I like to install EMBY Theather ( EMBY server is already running on my Qnap NAS)
Any options on that ?

I did install X11 environment and Firefox and tried to start a movie from my EMby server (192.168.0.100:8096 )( on my NAS) , but that is a bad idea, movie playback is horrible

@Drinking_park , DId you install Emby Theater on your DietPi OS ? If yes , Then I like to know how.

If it was Emby server, then never mind, I already have a successful server running ( when needed a 2nd on my backup NAS)

Edited by EdwinH

drinkin_park

I don’t have NAS and don’t know how I can help on that. I have only emby server on my dietpi and I thought emby theatre is the long name for emby client app  with enabled premium features. What is the difference between Emby Theatre and Emby client app?

EdwinH
18 hours ago, drinkin_park said:

I don’t have NAS and don’t know how I can help on that. I have only emby server on my dietpi and I thought emby theatre is the long name for emby client app  with enabled premium features. What is the difference between Emby Theatre and Emby client app?

Emby theater is a RPI Emby client app. found here :

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron/releases/download/3.0.15/emby-theater-rpi_3.0.15.zip

Your question proly is: what is difference between Emby Server and Emby Theater client.

Emby Server : server side of Emby, connected local or shared folders containing Movies/ series/ music.

You connect to server via web interface : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8096 to control / configure the server.

Emby Theater

A Emby client , running on dedicated hardware, which logon to a (remote) Emby server capable to play contend listed on the Emby Emby server but using the local Emby theater hardware, not the Emby server hardware to encode movies/series.

Feel free correct me if I am wrong.

A dedicated Emby Theater Rpi image can be found here

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron/releases/download/3.0.15/emby-theater-rpi_3.0.15.zip

But on a RPI4 it does not play any content as expected, movie stutter noticeably.

For arguments sake , I did install Emby Server on DIetPi OS ( on my RPI4) and added movie folder share from my NAS.

But playback is horrible.

I think DietPi OS with EMby server only will smooth when local content is played. ( But I doubt it will run H265 at all)

Till now my RPI4 with LibreElec Kody installed with EMby-con addon ( so also a plugin to connect to my NAS emby server) does run all content smooth ( even H265 codex movies)
With that I have proven it is not hardware related that RPI4 has stutter issues under ET.
The issue remain with Emby theater since version 3.0.9 ( that is the earliest version I ever tried on my RPI4) up to 3.0.15.

Edited by EdwinH