Going back n forth from library to media item is a total pain

CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick

I believe this must have been mentioned many times already.

In a large, multi-thousands items library, say you're at item 2134/13000 and click a media item, and then use Emby back button, you're crudely brought back to the very top of library, instead of the library area you were looking at just before. The back button is acting as library home button instead of an actual back button. I am guessing Emby cannot "remember" if you had previously scrolled down 10, 100 or a 1000 pages down. I'm wondering why the back button displayed whithin a specific media item can't be coded to bring you back to around that specific item in the list.

If once in a media page, there would be a "forth" arrow (next to back arrow) so you can "jump" from one media item to the next media item without even needing to go back to whole library and having to scroll all the way back down. At least that would be some form of workaround. 

Edited by jlr19
  • Like 1

GrimReaper
11 minutes ago, jlr19 said:

I believe this must have been mentioned many times already.

In a large, multi-thousands items library, say you're at item 2134/13000 and click a media item, and then use Emby back button, you're crudely brought back to the very top of library, instead of the library area you were looking at just before. The back button is acting as library home button instead of an actual back button. I am guessing Emby cannot "remember" if you had previously scrolled down 10, 100 or a 1000 pages down. I'm wondering why the back button displayed whithin a specific media item can't be coded to bring you back to around that specific item in the list.

If once in a media page, there would be a "forth" arrow (next to back arrow) so you can "jump" from one media item to the next media item without even needing to go back to whole library and having to scroll all the way back down. At least that would be some form of workaround. 

Where exactly are you encountering this? Emby Web? Android TV? 

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, jlr19 said:

Emby web

I suppose something is interfering then, as I have no such issue (nor ever had), either Emby back button or browser back button returns me at the spot in the Library I was before entering any detail screen. It certainly ain't by design that you go back all the way to the top of the Library. Maybe compare with another browser? 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Typo

CharleyVarrick

I forgot to mention if you "just look" at media page, the back button work as expected.

If the media has metadata refreshed, then back button act as home button.

Same behavior with Firefox and Chrome

Edited by jlr19

GrimReaper
Just now, jlr19 said:

I forgot to mention if you just look at media page, the back button work as expected.

If the media has metadata refreshed, then back button act as home button

That certainly gives another perspective. 😉

GrimReaper

Unfortunately, on 4.5.4.0 stable I cannot recreate your issue, even with metadata refresh, Back returns me to the exact Library spot. Note that the changes, tho, are not visible (not dynamic?) until I re-enter Library (or F5 refresh, which puts me on top). 🤷‍♂️

Edited by GrimReaper76
Append

CharleyVarrick

Its still the same media item, same title, spelling, etc.

Why does refreshing metadata makes emby forget position in library list ?

GrimReaper

Ok, what DOES produce same result is Detail view > Refresh Metadata > F5 Detail page > Back, returns to the top of the Library. 

Edit: Same result even without Metadata refresh: Detail view > F5 > Back - top of the Library. 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Append
  • Like 1

CharleyVarrick
7 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Unfortunately, on 4.5.4.0 stable I cannot recreate your issue, even with metadata refresh, Back returns me to the exact Library spot. Note that the changes, tho, are not visible (not dynamic?) until I re-enter Library (refresh?). 🤷‍♂️

You're right: Once metadata is refreshed, if I do nothing else and hit Back, works a expected.
But, In my usage case, I "F5" the page seconds later to see what refresh metadata did change (or not).

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

Right again, F5 is culprit that "break" back button.

Hence my FR to have back and forth* arrows in media page (detail view)

* forth as in next media item detail view

Edited by jlr19
  • Like 1

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, jlr19 said:

Right again, F5 is culprit that "break" back button.

Hence my FR to have back and forth arrows in media page (detail view)

Don't really know if that's quite feasible, if Emby "forgets" your Library position after F5 (as it looks like), I don't think it would know where to point you, as different items would be "next" in the list depending on your Sort method or various Filters applied, not really sure there's such granularity embedded. Good idea, tho. 

• Like 1

GrimReaper
Just now, jlr19 said:

If F5 detail view breaks back button, it might very well  break an eventual forth button as well.

Yeah, that too. 🤔

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jlr19 said:

But, In my usage case, I "F5" the page seconds later to see what refresh metadata did change (or not).

You don't need to do this.

CharleyVarrick
34 minutes ago, Luke said:

You don't need to do this.

But if I dont "F5" I have no way to see what effect it had, if any.

But I understand what you mean.

1 minute ago, jlr19 said:

But if I dont "F5" I have no way to see what effect it had, if any.

But I understand what you mean.

Yes you do. The user interface will refresh itself.

CharleyVarrick
43 minutes ago, Luke said:

Yes you do. The user interface will refresh itself.

???

How long is that suppose to take, I've been staring at a refreshed metadata detail view for close to 10 minutes and nothing's happening.

When I hit F5 five seconds after refresh MD, its immediate.

EDIT:

After 30+ minutes without any apparent change, I hit F5 and 3 empty placeholders were immediately replaced with 3 missing actor placeholder (inconclusive)

I just tried refresh MD (without F5) on another movie with some well known main actors empty and again, I do not see any auto-refresh happening.

Wondering if anyone else could confirm If I'm the exception or the rule.

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

What exactly did you do?

From detail view of a movie, 3 dots, refresh metadata (replace all), then wait (and wait and wait)

EDIT: I just tried different way: refresh md (replace all), then click back to library, then click back to same movie and yes, I see changes without F5.

Is that what you meant ?

Edited by jlr19