Emby server plugin development tutorial on youtube

chef

My ability to create youtube videos has much to be desired. Putting my terrible video production abilities aside, I am putting together some tutorials on how to setup a development environment to create plugins for emby, on youtube.

This is video 1.

Like I say, I'm not very good at video creation, but since the world still doesn't seem to need to employ chefs full time, this seemed like a fun time to try it out. 😬

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
chef
8 hours ago, SirBen said:

This is great!!!

Thank you chef

Thanks 😂 Should I make more? 😆

Edited by chef

• 10 months later...
ginjaninja
On 24/03/2021 at 03:48, chef said:

Hi @chefthanks for videos, i am trying to learn c# and move from scripting against api to be able to actually write a plugin, its a steep learning curve. Something that would help myself and perhaps others who can follow a programming language logic once they understand the syntax, would be a run through of a plugin, explaining the c# language structures in play, so they can go away and learn more about them before trying to understand in more detail. I think these videos are at a bit later stage than i am at.

as someone unfamiliar with c# but who feels quite confident following logic, i am disheartened by how incomprehensible a plugin on github is...if there was a video signposting the c# language structure/concepts involved in a simple plugin, then i think that would help me learn more and get started. eg This is a interface, this is a lamda expression, this section defines this for the purpose of that, the developer uses 'programming concept x' here because reason.

I appreciate i may not have enough experience to be the target audience for the type of content you are producing. and i dont under estimate the effort. but you did ask if more videos would be appreciated. (And even if my thoughts above miss the mark, any more videos will certainly be gratefully received)

Now that i have actually watched 100 videos on youtube about c#, i think i will have a fighting chance to follow a plugins source code, but there's probably a bit of gap between understanding how a console app flows from "main".....to appreciating the concepts in play in a plugin and where initialisation points start and where they flow. its seems a different world and that saps confidence.

maybe rather than a noddy video thats beneath you 🙂 , can you suggest any particular subjects that should be searched for to help appreciate a bit more about the structure of a plugin rather than a console app.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ginjaninja said:

Hi @chefthanks for videos, i am trying to learn c# and move from scripting against api to be able to actually write a plugin, its a steep learning curve. Something that would help myself and perhaps others who can follow a programming language logic once they understand the syntax, would be a run through of a plugin, explaining the c# language structures in play, so they can go away and learn more about them before trying to understand in more detail. I think these videos are at a bit later stage than i am at.

as someone unfamiliar with c# but who feels quite confident following logic, i am disheartened by how incomprehensible a plugin on github is...if there was a video signposting the c# language structure/concepts involved in a simple plugin, then i think that would help me learn more and get started. eg This is a interface, this is a lamda expression, this section defines this for the purpose of that, the developer uses 'programming concept x' here because reason.

I appreciate i may not have enough experience to be the target audience for the type of content you are producing. and i dont under estimate the effort. but you did ask if more videos would be appreciated. (And even if my thoughts above miss the mark, any more videos will certainly be gratefully received)

Now that i have actually watched 100 videos on youtube about c#, i think i will have a fighting chance to follow a plugins source code, but there's probably a bit of gap between understanding how a console app flows from "main".....to appreciating the concepts in play in a plugin and where initialisation points start and where they flow. its seems a different world and that saps confidence.

maybe rather than a noddy video thats beneath you 🙂 , can you suggest any particular subjects that should be searched for to help appreciate a bit more about the structure of a plugin rather than a console app.

Excellent! I can make some more videos if you want. 

Also, my GitHub has a bunch of code you can copy and paste from if you want.

Chefbennyj1 on GitHub.

There are definitely some more gotchas with plugin development when. It comes to creating the plugin html pages.

So maybe I can create some some videos.

7 hours ago, ginjaninja said:

For c# development, check out early videos from:Tim Corey and also Jamie King on YouTube.

Tim taught me almost everything I know about c#. Jamie King is hilarious to watch.

For css/html, for the front end check out: Kevin Powell on YouTube.

For JavaScript check out: freeCodeCamp, JamesQ Quick, and Developing with Mosh.

But, FreeCodeCamp can teach you a lot for free. 😂

And also, trial and error.... A lot of trial and error.

Console apps are the easiest way to learn.

I can also answer any questions you have.

I became intermediate in coding. Not a pro, but I learned a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Chef, i just found this post after giving up on the idea of writing an emby plugin myself ~2 years ago and I think this is awesome! I know this is an old post, but I second ginjan. I'm a react node.js dev, so i can do all sorts of api work and web work, but I'm clueless with c#.

i don't expect you to teach c# and i plan on picking up a class, but any content you can create that lowers the barrier of entry from programmers of the popular script languages like python and javascript to start doing some light c# work to help extend the functionality of emby, i FULLY support! Part of the reason I think ginjan hit the nail on the head, is that, even after watching some vids on C# I'm afraid i wouldn't be able to accomplish my goal of developing anything for emby because there's such a big gab between "class" and "practice", and this I've noticed even after taking courses and udemy/youtube courses on javascript and then working on production projects. So literally anything you can record that walks through some of those differences on say, how the emby codebase is structured that way, what modules do what, and some practical examples of how to achieve XYZ functionality while discussing it from your perspective as one of the devs, would be A M A Z I N G!!

Again, i know this is a dated post, but I just wanted to comment because I remember looking through the emby plugin tutorials and github wiki and going... "okay, so what part of this just makes a blank screen and embeds a "movie object" into it?" and feel disheartened, but after finding your youtube posts, that you'll hopefully continue to add too, I feel revitalized!

bakes82
On 3/23/2021 at 11:48 PM, chef said:

You need to cover channels, and schedule tasks.  Maybe Library mgnt like collections ;)

• Agree 1

chef
3 hours ago, bakes82 said:

You need to cover channels, and schedule tasks.  Maybe Library mgnt like collections ;)

Sounds like a good idea.

Cheesegeezer

@chef Just came across these.  Gonna watch them now.  That's awesome you done this!!