Restore Purchase Not Working After Migrating iPhone to Same-Model Replacement

czsmith

I purchased the regular Emby app. 

I had to replace my phone with the identical model and used the "put your phones next to each other" method to transfer apps and data.  I moved the old SIM care to the new phone & the old phone goes into a drawer, presumably never to be used again.  Both are iPhone SE (1st gen) A1662, 64GB models running iOS 14.4.

Emby worked fine on the original phone. It doesn't on the new phone after transfer.

I am signed into the App Store account where I purchased Emby.  I can see it in the App Store as one of my Purchased Apps and there's an Open button which will launch the app properly.

Emby (iOS version 2.0.2) launches and lets me sign on to a server.  Everything looks fine until I hit Play on a video.

I am then taken to the Unlock Feature screen where I'm given the 3 unlock choices.

I choose "Restore Purchase". which takes me to the Restore Purchase screen.

When I hit "I purchased this app," I'm taken back to the Unlock Features screen immediately.

This loop can go on forever.

I am successfully signed into the app store and can see Emby in my "All" list of purchased apps. It is missing from the "Not on this iPhone" list, confirming that the purchased version is installed.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Emby app, but the identical problem remains.

If I try the "Unlock 4.99" option, I'm taken to the app store where a purchase is attempted (I temporarily removed payment method to avoid doubly purchase).  The app store does not mention that I have already purchased Emby.

How do I get Emby restored on the replacement phone?

Thanks.

The app store does not mention that I have already purchased Emby.

Hi, what exactly does it say?

By "does not mention", I mean that in attempting to purchase the unlock, I get no messages from the app store that I'd previously purchased the unlock.

I mention this because an older post said one way to unlock is to purchase the unlock again.  That post said the App Store would recognize that the user is attempting to purchase something he already owns and won't allow it to proceed.  I just got no such notice and the App Store proceeded to attempt to charge my credit card.

That leaves me scratching my head a bit since the App Store app on my phone shows Emby as a purchased application but does not seem to have any problem if I try to purchase it again.

Also, the fact that I am instantly returned to the Unlock Feature screen when I hit "Restore Purchase" suggests that Emby is not even invoking the App Store; possibly failing even to make the request.

Here's the Purchased display from the App Store.  I shows Emby.  When I press the OPEN button, it launches.  But I'm still being asked to purchase it again.

I also tried going into Airplane mode when prompted to unlock.  That would prevent any communication with Apple's App Store servers.  No difference... when I press "I purchased this app", it returns immediately to the Unlock Feature screen.

Screenshot 2021-02-09 at 1.53.31 AM.png

Hi.  That looks like just an install of the app, which is free, much like YouTubeTV showing there, which is also free (the app, not the service).  But, both of them have in-app products you can purchase.

What you should see if you have purchased the unlock would be a purchase of "Unlock Playback".

Good point.

So, I just went back to the old phone (no SIM) where I never had any problem watching video and launched Emby.

It prompted me for permission to attach to the local network (something new!) and then showed the same behavior.

The only difference I can see is that it was working prior to updating to 14.4 and isn't afterward.

Has something changed here?  Did Emby go from free to paid recently?  (I've purchased it for other phones and set-top devices, so I'm beginning to question whether I actually paid for the iOS version)

so I'm beginning to question whether I actually paid for the iOS version)

My guess is you only downloaded the app and didn't purchase the unlock. In the iTunes app store, downloading a free app is considered a purchase, so that's why it shows up there. The Emby app is free to download, and then it has the in-app purchase.