Question about my user transcoding permissions

Sanras

The issue I'm having is that I get the error "No compatible streams are currently available" when trying to play an mkv video using the web player. I would like to note that the mkv file does have dual audio and subtitles. I do not have any mkv files without subtitles, so I am not sure if those would work or not. Playing a file that is mp4 in the WebUI does work fine, as expected. The mkv files also play fine in the Android app, but I currently cannot use the app due to a very big issue with it (more details on this later), so I need to use the Web App. I have tested the same mkv on the Android Chrome browser, Windows 10, and Chromium on Linux. They all behave the same way. Basically, I click on the video, the picture for the series pops up with the loading circle, then I get the error (I will attach an image of this). Interestingly enough, the audio plays, but there is no video. I would also like to note that I have only "allow media playback" checked, and do not allow transcoding. However, as mentioned earlier, the videos play fine on the Android app with these same settings, so I do not think this is the issue. This is a lan-only server, there is more than enough bandwidth to play a 1080p HEVC mkv file with only direct play.

Now, for the Android app. As I mentioned above, it does work the most reliably. All the videos play, and it would actually be a great experience. The one huge issue with it is that it crashes my phone. I had the emby app installed for around two weeks, until I realized the Emby app was the one causing issues. Basically, ever since I installed the Emby client android app, my phone would completely freeze and lock up sometimes when switching wifi networks or turning off the wifi, then force-reboot. I would like to emphasize that this issue started a day after I installed the app, and no other changes to my device's configuration occured. No other apps were installed, no settings were changed. The issue also never occurred before. What convinced me that the Emby app was the culprit is that uninstalling it completely fixed the issue. I haven't had a single issue with switching wifi networks or turning off the wifi ever since I uninstalled the Emby app. It can also be seen running under the Running Processes menu in Developer Options, so, it is not unreasonable that it was causing issues. If this helps, the phone is a Moto Z3 Play, running Android 8.1 Oreo (ARM64-v8a).

Anyway, I do hope that you guys can look into both of these issues and fix them, If you want me to post the Android issue on the Android thread, I can do so. I am also uploading my embyserver.txt, and the screenshot of the error. The server version is 4.5.4.0.

Emby error.png

embyserver.txt

Right, ok. But if the problem is that transcoding is turned off, then why do the videos play fine on the Android app, with transcoding also disabled? Just doesn't really make sense to me.

3 hours ago, Sanras said:

Right, ok. But if the problem is that transcoding is turned off, then why do the videos play fine on the Android app, with transcoding also disabled? Just doesn't really make sense to me.

Because the app embeds it's own video player that allows it to handle more formats than the browser is able to.

2 hours ago, Sanras said:

Also, about the Android app, should I post the issue in the Android client thread?

Yes please, thanks.

10 minutes ago, Luke said:

Because the app embeds it's own video player that allows it to handle more formats than the browser is able to.

Ok, thanks for explaining that. Ill go and make a thread on the Android forum as well.