Noob question

msloat

I have not got emby yet but I have been looking for something to run ota live etc and I heard that Emby was good.  Anyway...  I had heard that if you have a free account that you are limited to so many seconds of playback.  Does that mean that each member of my family would have to get a premiere account to watch videos and stuff on my server? Or can they piggy back on my paid Emby account?

You only need to pay for one Premiere Account for the Server. Everyone else can log into the server without paying but there is a 25 (I think?) Device Limit. The Emby LiveTV works great as it is but is in process of an update now too. You can test Premiere for $5 for a month and decide. I bought a lifetime Emby Premiere long, long ago in early beta when it was MediaBrowser 3.x (MB 3.x >>> Emby..) for a ridiculously low price and now pay monthly to support development. Try it, you'll like it but for LiveTV you'll need a Hardware Tuner such as a SiliconDust HDHomeRun or similar or a legal iptv service with an m3u stream as Emby doesn't provide content for you, just a means to playback your content or LiveTV.

5 minutes ago, Sammy said:

You only need to pay for one Premiere Account for the Server. Everyone else can log into the server without paying but there is a 25 (I think?) Device Limit. The Emby LiveTV works great as it is but is in process of an update now too. You can test Premiere for $5 for a month and decide. I bought a lifetime Emby Premiere long, long ago in early beta when it was MediaBrowser 3.x (MB 3.x >>> Emby..) for a ridiculously low price and now pay monthly to support development. Try it, you'll like it but for LiveTV you'll need a Hardware Tuner such as a SiliconDust HDHomeRun or similar or a legal iptv service with an m3u stream as Emby doesn't provide content for you, just a means to playback your content or LiveTV.

To access the server does everyone in the household need to setup an account from here?  I was worried about the only allowing only a few seconds to watch. I saw that on line that said that free accounts only get to watch from the server for a few seconds unless from browser. Thanks for you help by the way.  Does the 25 devices also include a nas server if I went that route?

Edited by msloat

No. You can do one account for all but then all users have Server Admin Rights so you should do at least two with your account having full access and the other having restricted rights such as not being allowed to delete content. If you have kids you can do another and restrict based on content rating too. Any and all devices, including your server, will count towards the device limit. For family you shouldn't need to worry about hitting the limit and if you do the device used longest ago gets booted so a new device can log in IIR.

LiveTV is not one of the 60 second test items. It costs $5 to try it out for a month after setting it up.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001173099-emby-premiere-feature-matrix

4 minutes ago, Sammy said:

No. You can do one account for all but then all users have Server Admin Rights so you should do at least two with your account having full access and the other having restricted rights such as not being allowed to delete content. If you have kids you can do another and restrict based on content rating too. Any and all devices, including your server, will count towards the device limit. For family you shouldn't need to worry about hitting the limit and if you do the device used longest ago gets booted so a new device can log in IIR.

LiveTV is not one of the 60 second test items. It costs $5 to try it out for a month after setting it up.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001173099-emby-premiere-feature-matrix

Thank you!!  Do you know anything about their Roku app?  I was wondering if it can schedule recorded programs thru roku.   Thanks for your help.

Edited by msloat

17 hours ago, msloat said:

To access the server does everyone in the household need to setup an account from here?  I was worried about the only allowing only a few seconds to watch. I saw that on line that said that free accounts only get to watch from the server for a few seconds unless from browser. Thanks for you help by the way.  Does the 25 devices also include a nas server if I went that route?

Hi.  No one has to setup an account on our site to use your server.  You can create local users and give them the address and credentials to log in.

Users

In your case, the playback limits in the apps are not relevant because you want to use Live TV which requires a Premiere subscription anyway.

Emby Premiere

Please let us know if this answers all of your questions.

• Thanks 1