XBMB3C Trying to Play Videos, Chokes

scanner50

scanner50

I've been trying to get XBMB3C to play nicely with MBS, but haven't had much success. They are on the same machine (Windows 8.1 Pro x64) and I am using the modded Confluence skin. I think I have the add-on set up correctly, as it populates the Home menu just fine and lists everything in the different libraries. But when I go to play the files, no matter the format, XBMB3C will pause for several seconds, say "Working" for several seconds more, show the first frame of the video, then abort back into XBMB3C, where then it acts as if it's frozen. Any ideas?

scanner50

Ok, I turned on logging as you said and then tried to play back video. Where would the log be located?

xnappo

It is playing from http instead of smb. Check that you are using UNC paths in the server setup and that you have the smb user name/password set correctly in the xbmb3c settings.

xnappo

scanner50

Check that you are using UNC paths in the server setup and that you have the smb user name/password set correctly in the xbmb3c settings.

Sorry for my n00bness, but:

1. By UNC paths do you mean path substitutions? I created path substitutions in case that's what you meant.

2. Not sure what my SMB username/password would be? Never messed with SMB before. Would it be the same as my PC username/password? That's what I put in, but it still chokes.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by rainking430

elcabong

1. Yes, path subs in mbs

2. The smb user/password refers to network access. This can include the pc user/pass or additional users that are added to the smb share. I usually create another user "xbmc" or "media" for all my media clients to connect to the share with limited permissions, and keep my main user with full permissions for editing files over the network.

Edited by elcabong

Spaceboy

You don't need path subs, just use unc paths in the library. I.e.

\\server\share\folder\

Took me a while to work out that using unc paths or path substitution was an either or for windows users. Path sub is mainly for Linux users

im85288

No you can use path substitution in combination with UNC paths. For example I have the following:

6ATrN7a.png

I only map mine to the NFS protocol as the Synology DiskStation supports it and it is a very stable protocol.

@ - perhaps you can screenshot your server paths as I have done...like xnappo says it looks like what your playing is being transcoded when it should be direct playing..however even then it should not be stuttering..

im85288

I have a synology as well, why do you prefer nfs?

It's just something based on some older research I did where I read that the NFS protocol works better than others such as SMB etc...and usually Linux stuff is more efficient so I have always used is since the Synology supports it.

Some useful info here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=NFS

Edited by im85288
  • Like 1

scanner50

Sorry for the delay in response. Thanks guys for the help. I've sort of had to put this on the back-burner as I've gotten pretty busy these last couple of days. I thought it was going to be more quick and straightforward than it has turned out to be, and right now I need to prioritize. When I get the chance, I'll try again. You guys are doing amazing work, keep it up! :)

• 2 months later...
Spaceboy

No you can use path substitution in combination with UNC paths. For example I have the following:

6ATrN7a.png

I only map mine to the NFS protocol as the Synology DiskStation supports it and it is a very stable protocol.

@ - perhaps you can screenshot your server paths as I have done...like xnappo says it looks like what your playing is being transcoded when it should be direct playing..however even then it should not be stuttering..

@@im85288 could you repost that pic please? i'm just trying to work this out again and it seems to have expired. cheers