Scheduled Task "Refresh Internet Channels" Running Outside of Schedule

sundevil67

sundevil67

After discovering this task was running far more frequently than necessary, and that it was responsible for seriously bogging down the system & rendering Emby practically unusable, I scheduled the task to run at 3am every Sunday morning. I'm wondering how/why I just discovered the task running at 6:30am on a Wednesday.

Anyone know why this might happen & if there is a way to prevent it if it's not part of some kind of essential process?

Thank you.

scheduled_task.jpg

1 hour ago, sundevil67 said:

why I just discovered the task running at 6:30am on a Wednesday

If it wasn't able to run at its scheduled time and that time had passed, then it will run when the server starts back up.

Your guide is likely to be quite stale running this only once per week.

sundevil67

Thanks for the quick reply. That makes some sense, that it might have been interrupted for some reason during the originally scheduled time, causing it to try again...but why make that 2nd attempt 3 days later? There was no doubt plenty of opportunity to retry long before then...

Because it may have failed on all previous attempts so, when you re-start the server, it tries again.

However, I just noticed this is actually the "internet channels" task.  I mis-read that because this topic was originally in our guide data forum.  So this isn't related to guide data at all and my comment about a stale guide isn't relevant.

It depends on what channel plugins you have installed. Some will fire it internally after something has updated in order to save you from having to do it manually.

sundevil67
On 2/3/2021 at 8:22 AM, ebr said:

Because it may have failed on all previous attempts so, when you re-start the server, it tries again.

However, I just noticed this is actually the "internet channels" task.  I mis-read that because this topic was originally in our guide data forum.  So this isn't related to guide data at all and my comment about a stale guide isn't relevant.

Forgive my ignorance of the semantics... I thought "Internet channels" was just how "guide data" was being referred to in those settings. If it's not updating guide data, what is that scheduled task accomplishing, and do I even need it? It's the only task I have in there, is definitely running much more than 1x/week, and is for sure the cause of the resource-hogging that slows Emby to a crawl. Because it doesn't stick to that schedule anyway, I'm assuming removing the task won't solve my problem. Any thoughts on what might? Thank you!

It's refreshing content from internet channel plugins. You must have at least one installed or it wouldn't have any work to do.

sundevil67

I'm still not sure what an "internet channel" is, so I can't really identify which plugin could be behind it. I'm sure I could safely eliminate 50% of these & never know the difference, but do any stand out to you that could be the culprit?

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 1.53.43 PM.png

Take a look at the access tab for a user and you'll see channels listed if you have any.

image.png.afd42f214e2c6ef982019e8de607f73f.png

• 3 weeks later...
sundevil67

While the "Refresh Internet Channels" seems to be happening less often after this adjustment, "Refresh guide data" and "Downloading subtitles" tasks are now the ones that seem to be running too often & bogging down the system until they're completed. I'm noticing a number of "alerts" alluding to failed attempts at downloading subtitles for certain shows ("ffmpeg subtitle extraction failed for file..."), which I assume is related to the frequency of this task being re-run. When you set the preference for # of days worth of guide data to download, does it just schedule the task that many days from the time that preference is selected? It does seem to be refreshing the guide more frequently than every 5 days too.

Any ideas?

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-57e61587-8443-4f45-bacb-a00ba894e2a5_1.txt

They are running according to schedule. You can always click on them and customize their schedule to run at a time of your choosing.