Chris2

Hi Luke,
Think this topic got lost in the move, but there was talk about some compiling for linux, using mono.
Have you had any sucess?

space2001

This would be great since I have all my stuff stored on a synology NAS.  They have a plex app on it right now.

Is there plans for a synology app

• Like 1

AlwinHummels

This would be great since I have all my stuff stored on a synology NAS.  They have a plex app on it right now.

Is there plans for a synology app

For now the devs theam is working on the server on mono.

The mono version at the synology Package Center is to old :( so we have to wait for an update from Synology.

I requested it at synology and the said:

We already have this feature include in future evaluation.

Best Regards,

Andy Yu

Synology Inc.

Maybe after that it's possible to make a Synologypackage for MediaBrowser Server.

Edited by AlwinHummels
  • Like 2

The biggest problem with a Synology version and even with Plex is that it will struggle to transcode because the horse power just isn't there in those boxes. I am running a 1511+ and just don't see how it could ever transcode things properly. If your never transcoding then it would be fine.

yea but with the way the devices are improving, as time goes on encoding will be needed less frequently.

SLIMaxPower

I agree. Transcoding not really required for ppl running off a nas. I recently moved to PLEX as I had issues running the MB3 server on my HTPC; was causing time out issues with my N36l running freenas scanning every time the HTPC woke to record or started by user.

I still have MB3 server installed on the HTPC - never used though.

I have requested for a plugin for MB3 @ freenas forums and @ freebsd pbi. I assume once nix is done done it will will go there.

I agree. Transcoding not really required for ppl running off a nas.

There really isn't any correlation between the need for transcoding and whether or not you have network attached storage.  The main factors are the format of your content and the clients you use to play it back.

space2001

this will be for me streaming to hTPC's. So for my requirments I do not need transcoding.

Right now I am using XBMC, but I love the fact of a server so I can keep all media synced over all the systems. With my 2 systems everything is split.

Hello,

I just wanted to throw my hat in the ring... I have a Drobo 5N, and while I'm not familiar with the product you are discussing, it sounds like a similar scenario. NAS with embedded, specialized Linux distribution with Plex available along with several other "DroboApps," both sanctioned and otherwise.

If you are interested, I recommend visiting the following site:

http://www.droboports.com/

They have a lot of information about porting over existing Linux applications.

Thanks,

Andrew

SLIMaxPower

You know you can turn off the scan on wake up right.

I asked this question a while ago and told it wasn't an option.  Can I set it for a specific time ?

cheers

I asked this question a while ago and told it wasn't an option.  Can I set it for a specific time ?

cheers

Whoever told you that was mis-informed.  You can adjust the schedule of any task.  Simply click on the task (not the play button) in the scheduled task area.

cheers

Yes you can set it to daily, weekly, at a specific time.

Influencer

Hey everyone. I use to be really active in the MB world (jcalton88) but fell out of it for quite a while. Lots of moving and changes, life getting in the way of hobbies.

Anyway, I digress, I had built an unraid server a couple years ago so my HTPC didn't have to be on all the time. Having a decently high-powered machine on all the time to serve media just wasn't cost effective. The HTPC was used as a server/gaming machine/encoding/blah blah. Since MB was Windows only I had to part ways and settled with Plex.

Plex is good at what it does, a no fuss interface, works quite well. But I started with Media browser, actually started using it right before the name change. I love the community, the customization and the program itself and I would love to be able and use MB again. Since I want everything to run on the unraid server I'm not currently able to do so, but would love to test things out when it gets to that point. I'm Influencer on the unraid forums and would love to help anyway possible.

In other news, I installed MB3 Server to my laptop and installed the Roku app to play with things. I like it, a bit of unused real estate but I know everything is still beta. I'll have to explore more later and see what all I've been missing!

+1 on MB for UnRaid. I am in the same situation as you are. I have 2 UnRaid servers and would love to have MB running on them. Hopefully the devs here will eventually get this up and running.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I could use some help with a coupe laborious tasks such as creating ready-made vm's that can be used for debugging. If anyone can help please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
claftchi

Hey everyone,

I've been a long time fan of this project, and have installed MB on every Windows PC I've had that's had WMC.

I did step away from the project when I made a debian based central server for my home network, so naturally, I'd love to be able to put a MB server on my debian box. So +1 for these efforts, and for MB3 in general!

In terms of help that is needed, are you still waiting on these VMs?

yea, some premade VM's with the latest version of mono (3.2.4) would be fantastic. if i can get those i'll start putting more time into this again.

claftchi

So to spell it out, as it were... Do you need any particular linux distribution? x86, x86_64? I only see rpms built for OpenSuse 11.4, but I could probably pull it from git and make it on something else. Also, any particular VM format?

I could probably set up some machines in my free time.