Bookmark

breezytm

breezytm

Hey guys, 

Do MBC has a bookmark feature? Not favorite. Bookmark. 

Example: If I am watching a TV show series and I like an episode I would like to show my friends, I would like to bookmark it. Yes I know I can add it as a favorite but that's cumbersome. At least to me it is. 

• Like 4

breezytm

No, but I don't understand what the difference would be...

I guess in a personal level it would make a difference. But if it's too much work and you don't think anyone else would actually use it I understand. Plex used to have it and removed it so they can redesign it. It was also used in plex to bookmark scenes. If you are watching a movie and there is a part you like you can bookmark it. If you want to show it to a friend later on you can just go to the movie and select the bookmark and it puts you right into the scene. If I remember correctly you could bookmark many scenes from a video. It was amazing. 

• Like 1

Well, now that is talking bout something very different.  That would be saving a particular position within a video whereas your initial request was simply marking a video in some way (which is what we have with favorites).

Saving specific positions within videos may be an interesting feature but would need to be implemented at the server level.  I suggest creating a post in the feature requests forum and we'll see how much support it gets from the community.

• Like 1

breezytm

Well, now that is talking bout something very different.  That would be saving a particular position within a video whereas your initial request was simply marking a video in some way (which is what we have with favorites).

Saving specific positions within videos may be an interesting feature but would need to be implemented at the server level.  I suggest creating a post in the feature requests forum and we'll see how much support it gets from the community.

As I explained above. It did both. I would like it to do both if it was to be implemented in MB. But I am not picky. I will take whatever I can get.

I will add it to the feature request sections as you suggest.

i like the idea of favorite scenes, so i would definitely like to do that. but i'm not sure i'd want both bookmarks and favorites in the server. i'm not sure what you mean by cumbersome. maybe you're just thinking the process of marking and/or accessing said markings. if that's the case, i'm sure then that is what needs to become easier because the same problem would just carry over to bookmarks.

• Like 1

breezytm

I can see why you would see it as an over kill.

It's cumbersome to me because of the reason I use favorites most likely is not the reason others use it. I use favorites to add movies and tv shows I plan on watching in the future whenever I can find time. It's much faster than scrolling with a remote. I will not add a show or movie I already saw to favorites. 

If you don't want to do it as i suggested before (favorites) you can just add an indicator on the poster like "watched". I can live with that. A red ribbon would be nice. 

With bookmark I can go to let's say Two and half men season 1 and find the one episode with the bookmark indicator. Imagine If you can also create a filter of media with bookmarks similarly to recently added/Unwatched/etc... That would be totally awesome.

Edited by breezytm

Cheesegeezer

i like the idea of favorite scenes, so i would definitely like to do that. but i'm not sure i'd want both bookmarks and favorites in the server. i'm not sure what you mean by cumbersome. maybe you're just thinking the process of marking and/or accessing said markings. if that's the case, i'm sure then that is what needs to become easier because the same problem would just carry over to bookmarks.

I really like this idea too.  and I think they could co exist.  

Yea but if you look at the web client, collections, playlists and favorites are all basically the same idea. you can use those functions to create various lists. adding a fourth seems like it might be overkill. so i might just add a way to do favorite scenes and call it a day. You look at web browsers and they have favorite or bookmarks terminology. You don't see any of them with both functions. it just would be overkill. If he's saying the favorites system of MBC is cumbersome, that's not really the server's issue.

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

I agree with you but the bookmark would basically create a startpositiontick at the point you pause it and add the bookmark... This would of course mean adding a new function to all players to all to capture this. The collection, playlist and favourite are full items that start at 0.

• Like 1

MrWebsmith

theres some interest over in the FR area for a "shortlist" which to me sounds similar.. a "queue" or "area for marked media to go back to" for any number of reasons..

breezy, id head over to that thread and see if the requests are similar enough to be merged.. that way the support and likelyhood that anything would get developed would potentially increase

• Like 1

breezytm

theres some interest over in the FR area for a "shortlist" which to me sounds similar.. a "queue" or "area for marked media to go back to" for any number of reasons..

breezy, id head over to that thread and see if the requests are similar enough to be merged.. that way the support and likelyhood that anything would get developed would potentially increase

I read it and it sounds identical to one of the two features in bookmarks.

1. Watch Later - Labeling a movie, tv show series or simple a season as something I want to go back to (similar to favorite and shortlist)

2. Saving specific positions within videos

The reason why I would be okay with having both favorites and bookmarks doing the same identical thing is because they would be used for different purposes. I can like a movie or tv show I watched already so i add it to my favorite list. However, If I never watched something before how can it possibly be a favorite. I have no clue if I would even like it.

I plan on watching a movie or tv show sometimes in the near feature and I am not sure If I would like it but just to remember that I intend on watching I am just going to bookmark it. If the term bookmark sounds confusing since the feature would have two purposes maybe you can just call it "watch later". Give it like a golden star icon or something. I just like the term bookmark - something I plan on going back to. Whether its a position in a movie or just a movie i plan on watching.

I really think this feature has great potentials. Let me know what ya think.

nydude25

I read it and it sounds identical to one of the two features in bookmarks.

1. Watch Later - Labeling a movie, tv show series or simple a season as something I want to go back to (similar to favorite and shortlist)

2. Saving specific positions within videos

The reason why I would be okay with having both favorites and bookmarks doing the same identical thing is because they would be used for different purposes. I can like a movie or tv show I watched already so i add it to my favorite list. However, If I never watched something before how can it possibly be a favorite. I have no clue if I would even like it.

I plan on watching a movie or tv show sometimes in the near feature and I am not sure If I would like it but just to remember that I intend on watching I am just going to bookmark it. If the term bookmark sounds confusing since the feature would have two purposes maybe you can just call it "watch later". Give it like a golden star icon or something. I just like the term bookmark - something I plan on going back to. Whether its a position in a movie or just a movie i plan on watching.

I really think this feature has great potentials. Let me know what ya think.

Netflix has their feature called My List, which used to be called Instant Queue. Similar to what you propose, users browse through the Netflix offerings, add selections they plan to watch to the My List, and then use that list for future viewing choices. Netflix even adds their "You Might Also Like" magic to the My List by putting your selections in order starting with what they feel you will most like. Items in the list have special indicators, like new episodes for a series in the list, or a warning indication that Netflix only has the rights to that selection for a more few days.

This is a key feature of Netflix, and according to their blog, they spend considerable resources on it and keeping it accurate and updated. It's definitely useful to keep track of all the possible choices available on Netflix since they have so much content. Something like this in MB would probably be overkill though. The big difference is that a MB user at home already has chosen everything in their library. You've either recorded or ripped a movie/show to your server because it is something you want to watch. It's not the same as with Netflix, where you won't know everything they have to offer. And as you rip and add stuff to your MB library, an area called Latest additions helps you remember recent items you may want to watch.

Maybe some limited form of the My List that Netflix uses might be an option.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

I don't think it's overkill. Even with 250 series and1200 movies it's difficult to keep track if things. I think a to watch list would be great. Actually I think I'd use it more than favouriting things. Only likely to favourite music and the playlists cover this

• Like 1

breezytm

Thanks @@ebr for moving this thread to the right section of the forum. I was just about to ask you to kindly move it for me and realized you already have. #thumbsup

@@nydude25 - You are right about Netflix, they do that. I wasn't even thinking about it when I wrote this but you are right on the money. I actually use it a lot. I was planning on asking @@Luke to make app for us to provide us with movies and tv shows recommendataion based on our library. There are tons of databases like rotten tomatoes and IMDB already have that and can be access through their API. I wouldn't recommend this being built into MB. An app would do just fine. 

@@Spaceboy, I agree with you 100%. If I look at a trailer and it looks fascinating to me so I get the movie. If I watch 10 trailers and I purchased all 10 movies, ripped them to my libraries, life, work and the kids kick in. A day or two later I forgot all about them. Currently I am using favorite to keep track of what I potential would like to watch. 

Guys, I also want to know if anyone is interested in bookmark(s) section of a movie or tv shows. I think that feature would be a game changer. Some of the devs think so too. But without your vote it will never happen. 

Edited by breezytm

Cheesegeezer

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/9523-shortlist/&do=findComment&comment=123313  ;)

• 2 years later...
Tremas

In regards to a "short list" or "watch later," that is one of the ways I use collections. In fact, this is one of my favorite features of EMBY.

As I add new movies or shows (or remember old ones) I add them to a "Watch Later" collection. Valentines Day coming up? I look through my movies and use multi-select to add the ones I want to a "Valentines Collection." That way, when the baby is finally asleep and my wife and I can collapse on the couch, we go right to the "watch later" collection and look at what we had flagged.

I understand that this is different than the way some use collections, but the benefit makes it a no brainer for me. Plus collections can hold a mixture of Movies, Series, Episodes, Music, Special Features (featurettes, interviews), Music Videos, etc., and they are all separated in the view.  It works just like Netflix; when I'm browsing my media and I think "I should go back and watch/re-watch this," I add it to my "Watch Later" collection. I should note that Collections only work in this way if you do not check "Group Movies Into Collections" in the display settings because then they wont also show up in your movie listings. You also need to check "Display Collections View" to have collections in the main navigation.

Bookmarking a scene would be nice too.

Edited by Tremas

overClocked!

Bookmarking a scene would be nice too.

Yes, it certainly would. +1 to this feature request Edited by overClocked!

breezytm

I still believe both features are worth having along with recommendations outside of what are currently in the local library. 

• 3 years later...
Schtief

What about this feature? I recently thought about this and found it here. But what is the actual status of the request?

This discussion morphed in a few different directions.  Exactly which feature are you asking about?

Schtief

The feature to bookmark a special scene in an episode or movie and the option to play this bookmarked scene from the emby menu. An overview of all bookmarked scenes would be great, too.

• Like 1

Okay, so a sort of "Favorite Scenes".  That is an interesting feature but nothing has been done with it yet.

• Like 1