Move emby data folder to differnt volume

nick naim
Go to solution Solved by nick naim,

nick naim

I have a Synology with a main storage volume (volume1) and a separate SSD volume (volume2). I would like to have the entire Emby data folder (library database, metadata, etc.) on the SSD volume. Is there a way to change the program data folder location from /volume1/Emby/ to /volume2/Emby?

• Solution
nick naim

I actually found a good solution right after I posted my question: I uninstalled the emby package and reinstalled it on volume2 (DSM let's you select the target volume when you install a new package). That way, the Emby program data folder gets created on volume2 as well. I then copied all the data from /volume1/Emby/ to volume2/Emby/ before I started the Emby service. Seemed to work without a hitch...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
nick naim

@kaledi: Yes, having emby installed on a separate SSD volume has been working well for me. I am very happy with the performance. The database and metadata loads nearly instantly and it only needs to access the HDDs when your starting playback, scan the library, etc. I can very much recommend this setup, if you have a spare slot for an SSD in your NAS.

I have tried several setups of emby server in conjunction with my Synology: Regular install on my main volume, having a symlink point to a fast USB drive that contained the library data, having emby server run on a separate PC and accessing the data on a network share, etc. They all have their advantages and limitations, but the setup I have described above is the cleanest and most performant setup I have found.

• Thanks 1

Great, thanks. I've done the same as you but I may replace the ssd and think I have the process to do so. I'm new to synology and so far super impressed. So easy to use and very powerful software. My main nas was previously a western digital pr4100, which to be fair just worked as an emby server including hardware transcoding but I was running out of space and gigabit lan has become a bottleneck for speed of transferring large amounts of data. The synology gives me a whole lot more flexibility 

speedy78

Beware thats only working for SSD in Bays (SATA-SSDs) not M2-SSDs.

Synology don´t creates a volume on M2-SSD, just cache.

There are ways to use M2, but everything on SSH, not with GUI - look at Syno Boards or Reddit for commands

• 5 months later...
kandiman

Hi there, I'm thinking of doing the same. I would like to move my Emby installation from volume 1 to a SHR volume. When you did the move the metadata and artwork are intact?

@cayars

On 9/4/2021 at 7:23 AM, kandiman said:

Hi there, I'm thinking of doing the same. I would like to move my Emby installation from volume 1 to a SHR volume. When you did the move the metadata and artwork are intact?

@cayars

If you copy everything from the Emby (DSM 6) or EmbyServer (DSM 7) folder it should work.

How many bays does your NAS have and how many drives do you currently have installed?

kandiman
3 hours ago, cayars said:

If you copy everything from the Emby (DSM 6) or EmbyServer (DSM 7) folder it should work.

How many bays does your NAS have and how many drives do you currently have installed?

Hey cayars, you answered my questions to my dilemma here thanks 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
nick naim
23 hours ago, Matot said:

Hi,

Would this solution works with an external SSD plug in USB ? 

I don't think Synology DSM will let you install applications on a USB drive. So I don't think this specific approach will work.

You can probably copy the program data on a USB drive and have a symbolic link point to the folder on the USB drive, but it might not be the most reliable solution.

1 hour ago, nick naim said:

I don't think Synology DSM will let you install applications on a USB drive. So I don't think this specific approach will work.

You can probably copy the program data on a USB drive and have a symbolic link point to the folder on the USB drive, but it might not be the most reliable solution.

Ok, thank you.