Disable audio tracks in an album

ryancey

ryancey

I like to have complete albums but sometimes I really dislike some of its tracks at the first listen.

I'd like for them not to appear in the playlist, wether it's from Play All button on the album page or the whole music library Shuffle button, but be able to play them manually (by clicking on it or adding it the to playlist myself).

Just like knowing it's here and that I can give it a new try sometimes :)

What do you think?

• Like 6

Bigmack3000

That wouldn't work when doing a full media shuffle, though.  Something like the checkmark that itunes has would be perfect for this.  Unchecking it prevents it's inclusion from any shuffle.

• Like 1

ryancey
On 1/29/2021 at 5:16 PM, Bigmack3000 said:

That wouldn't work when doing a full media shuffle, though.  Something like the checkmark that itunes has would be perfect for this.  Unchecking it prevents it's inclusion from any shuffle.

Yeah that was the idea! I liked this feature a lot.

On 1/29/2021 at 4:38 PM, Luke said:

Hi, why not think of this in reverse, and create a playlist of the tracks you do like?

I like the vast majority, so it would be like creating a whitelist of thousands of tracks to exclude only a few dozens. Plus it adds an extra step when importing an album.

Spoiler

I forgot to mention it in my first post but I really like what you've done with Emby, I use it all day every day for music & movies/tv shows. Everything works (almost) perfectly, that's a great piece of software. Happy Premiere Lifetime customer ✊

Edited by ryancey
  • Like 1

Bigmack3000

Yea sometimes there's a skit you don't want on shuffle, or maybe a bonus disc has a 40 minute outtake.  It's much easier to deselect these instead of making a playlist for the other 95% of your library.

• 3 months later...

Not yet, sorry. We are monitoring this for community feedback. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I'd have to agree with the other commentators here too. It would be completely impractical to create a playlist for each album just to exclude songs.

Also playlists don't get downloaded to the mobile devices, so it wouldn't work very well offline.

I like to have whole albums and while I am listening to them, just to be able to tap "dislike". Then it just means by default they don't get played or downloaded offline.

I think it would be more useful than the favourite button, its a lot easier to decide if your not a fan of something than if it really is your favourite. I wouldn't want to favourite 95% of the library.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

@Luke I want the functionality this request is pushing for but I don't think the requested feature would work.  I'm unlikely go go through my tracks and mark each one with a 'like it/don't like it' tag.

That said, if you added a control during playback that make it easy to flag songs I dislike and then filtered them out for the future, that would be awesome.  So when playing a playlist, using instant mix, or shuffling a genre or artist and a track that I don't like plays, I could click the 'this sucks' icon.  The track would then be skipped and marked to be ignored in this kind of playback in the future.  If it's a playlist the track could automatically be removed from the playlist too.  Over time those tags would shrink the list of content emby would select from when playing in various mix modes to just things I might want to hear.  I'd love that.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

@Deathsquirrel That is what I am after; when playing an album, playlist, instant mix (just when playing music) to be able to tap dislike. You can tap the heart to add to favourites when playing so I imagine a broken heart next to it for "dislike".

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel
18 hours ago, monotok said:

@Deathsquirrel That is what I am after; when playing an album, playlist, instant mix (just when playing music) to be able to tap dislike. You can tap the heart to add to favourites when playing so I imagine a broken heart next to it for "dislike".

I would recommend this not disable the tracks when playing an album.  There are many tracks I don't want to listen to in a mix play mode but which are part of the album experience.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Deathsquirrel

Bumping this as it would go a LONG way toward making music usable for me.  I'd love to dump my favorite artists into a playlist and then bump specific tracks off the playlist as they come up.  That's far, far easier than trying to pick individual tracks to add.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
ryancey

Bumping this again, I found out that it would be great to exclude radios (for example, in strm files) from being played while in shuffle mode

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
wordlover

This is related to the idea of a 'thumbs down' option for tracks, which has been suggested elsewhere. +1 from me.

Bigmack3000
3 minutes ago, wordlover said:

This is related to the idea of a 'thumbs down' option for tracks, which has been suggested elsewhere. +1 from me.

I think they should work in tandem with one another.  Similar to how itunes has the star rating as well as the checkbox for inclusion in shuffles.

A thumbs down alone wouldn't work here, unless "thumbs down" weighed very heavy in the shuffle algorithm.

• 2 months later...

+1 for a "thumbs down/this sucks" button.

Also trying to transition from iTunes/iPod being heavily reliant on smart playlists. A basic 3 option rating should be more than enough to segregate favorites, leave the filler, and filter out unwanted tracks when playing albums, entire artist catalogs, playlists, etc. 

• Like 1