Emby for Kodi (4.1.22) - Subtitles No Longer Display after Upgrading to Emby Beta 4.6.0.20(1)

DarWun

DarWun

@quickmic @Luke After upgrading to Emby Beta 4.6.0.20 (and subsequently to .21), subtitles no longer display when playing HEVC content using Emby for Kodi v 4.1.22. Logs attached. Should note that Subtitles display when playing media directly from the server (i.e. media playback using Edge).

Let me know if there are any other logs you want to take a look at.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-984c20d5-e593-4fb6-8d9f-2c022f51df2d_1.txt kodi.log

The player never attempted to download any subtitles, so as far as I can tell they were not enabled.

DarWun

I noticed that too. They were enabled. When I selected the video to play, Emby for Kodi offers the option to select subtitles. I picked English subtitles, which in the past resulted in the subtitles playing. That is no longer the case after updating to 4.6.0.20(21). Once the video starts playing, subtitle streams can longer be changed. I believe this is by design, as that resulted in other issues which @quickmicfixed by locking subtitle selection on HEVC content.

Edited by DarWun

DarWun

After some additional testing, there isn't an issue with subtitles appearing when playing non-HEVC content using Emby for Kodi. Subtitles not displaying seems to only be an issue with HEVC content.

quickmic

Can you try with next-gen? ->

Please be aware and upgrade from 4.X to 5.x wipes your Database. Please take a full Kodi backup first!

DarWun

@quickmicSorry for taking so long to acknowledge your response. Shortly after I posted I began to realize that although the upgrade from 4.6.0.10 to 4.6.0.20+ seemed to have gone well, metadata and images were being overwritten post-update as the Legacy ImageSavingConvention setting in system.xml was no longer being respected. It was making a mess of my media folders, so I decided to revert back to 4.6.0.10. It took me longer than I would have liked to get things back up and running on account of real world stuff getting in the way.

Anyway, after rolling back I installed Emby for Kodi Next-Gen. I'm not sure why I held off on doing so for as long as I did. The update went flawlessly and setup was much easier than I remember it being with the legacy app. As for whether or not it addresses issues with subtitle playback when transcoding HEVC content, I have no way of evaluating that. There currently (as of Emby for Kodi 5.0.0.11) are no settings available for forcing transcoding of HEVC content like there were in the legacy app. So when I play HEVC content transcoding doesn't occur. The content plays, but the Kodi client (LibreElec on an Rpi4) is not powerful enough to play it without issues.

quickmic

You are right, I disabled specific transcode options. If you need that, I can re-enable this feature. For the moment, only option to force transcode is to set the network bandwidh below the bitrate of the movie.

as far as I know, RPI4 still have very poor GPU support. I also have a RPI4 with libreelec and it's worse that my vero4k which is CPU wise much slower than RPI4. I hope it become better in future.

Your issues with 4.6.0.20+ should be also addressed. @Luke

Edited by quickmic
  • Like 1

DarWun

No need to reenable transcode features at this point if you aren't ready to support it yet. It's a feature I'm hoping will return at some point. But based on user feedback nobody else seems to be missing it as of now.

Luke has indicated the issue I had with the Legacy ImageSavingConvention being ignored will be fixed in a future beta release. When the next release goes live, I'll install it and do some additional tests using Emby for Kodi Next-gen.

DarWun

Thanks @quickmic. I'll update to 5.1.12 tomorrow when I have time to test the new transcoding features. I'll post back in the "embyforkodi 5.0.0 preview" thread to let you know how it goes. 

Edited by DarWun
  • Thanks 1