Control over shows watched status on Emby/Trakt when things go wrong

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

Just spent a while trying to settle my Emby watched status on a show.

When trying to zero my watched status on a show, i was finding that Trakt and Emby kept cross contaminating each other.

with half the episodes showing watched in emby and trakt....i was toggling all watched then all unwatched on emby....but this was confusing trakt...and by the time of the next import from trakt...some of the shows episodes were rewatched. putting me back to the beginning

no doubt there was a better way of doing it...but in the end i

• fully watched / unwatched on emby
  • turned off plugin schedule..
  • waited for trakt watched history for show to get contaminated..
  • zeroed trakt
  • waited a safe amount of time.
  • re-enabled the plugin schedule.

has anyone else had similar challenges? its possible i was making a dogs dinner out of things.

I wonder whether the plugin could 'do more' to protect against incorrect flip flopping during 'maintenance corrections when things have gone wrong', whilst registering 'real' watches / unwatches.

my settings

image.png.7f7050e388d4d80437c6d3c6e057f744.pngimage.png.75a8053f22c623f17fa32213e935f67b.png

i was toggling all watched then all unwatched on emby....but this was confusing trakt.

Well maybe let's start at the beginning. What does this mean?

ginjaninja
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Well maybe let's start at the beginning. What does this mean?

for the show in question..on the shows root page...press the tick icon in the web client...then untick...

to have the effect of 

all watched then

all unwatched

(a command on the menu to mark all unwatched (without marking all watched 1st) , may of been helpful against sending conflicting trakt updates in quick sucession, but this is premature speculation, as quick succession might not be the cause of the issue)

and by confusing trakt i meant

the end result was not 100% unwatched on trakt

Edited by ginjaninja

I am having this issue as well. Sometimes I accidently hit unwatched or watched on Emby and it totally wipes out all watched data for that episode/movie on Trakt. I rewatch a lot of things so this is quite distressing when it happens.

Ultimately I want to have my status to Trakt to scrobble but Emby not to affect past scrobbles. On Trakt I can set a show to Rewatch --- It would be good for Emby to be able to mimic that if the show is in my Emby Library. 

The bottom line is: Trakt should not be wiping data just because of an Emby tick/untick. I get a show to put in my Library that I've watched on Netflix or in the past somewhere. Sometimes I have data in Trakt for that show, sometimes I don't for another. It's not 100% understandable when Trakt doesn't send watched sometimes, but other times does for an entire past watched show when added. Watching a show that has this happen to it makes next up worthless.

ginjaninja

i think ive found a repeatable probably related example. i have an episode (not a whole show) that if i mark watched b4 bed...will  be unwatched by the next morning...will provide debug logs..transcription.

ginjaninja
3 hours ago, ginjaninja said:

i think ive found a repeatable probably related example. i have an episode (not a whole show) that if i mark watched b4 bed...will  be unwatched by the next morning...will provide debug logs..transcription.

9 hours ago, Luke said:

We'd have to go over a specific example. Thanks.

the flipping of the single episode from watched to unwatched was due to the episodes being moved on TVDB from S02E07 to S00E01, and trakt respecting that. this was an unrelated issue but still an issue.

image.png.9d25193912af929934dfd1d630823a9a.png

So even though with these settings S02E07 was marked watched on Emby, the trakt plugin marked it unwatched.

I performed the test again by creating a non existent (as far as tvdb is concerned) S02E08 on file system and marked it watched....again the trakt plugin marked it unwatched on next scheduled import.

there was nothing in the debug logs to show anything...the episode didnt not have a corresponding line

If there was a way that the plugin could determine what episodes trakt was authoritative for, then it could prevent the plugin marking watched content as unwanted just because trakt is not aware of that content (i assume this is what is happening this instance). the current algorithm of "if trakt doesnt tell me the watched status of the episode, i will marked unwatched" is not ideal if fixable (without skipping unwatched import entirely / enabling that setting)

if the plugin could import all watched and unwatched content for shows in users library to have awareness of what trakt was authoritative for...then emby could check trakt was authoritative before coming to the wrong conclusion. if the trakt api supported that. maybe if the user synced collection, the collection could be used to check what trakt was authoritative for.

the original issue was different, I will look for repeatable example.

edit

i notice special epsiodes not present on trakt are immune to the issue of having their watch status undone in this circumstance...so there seems to be protections for specials which is probably where there is most disagreement with trakt....Maybe S01+ protection can be achieved by removing provider ids to prevent the trakt plugin overwriting. Wont be required very often as user's shows S01 onwards should generally match trakt.

Edited by ginjaninja

ginjaninja

heres a slightly different example where even a special keeps getting flipped unwatched by trakt plugin

https://thetvdb.com/series/friday-night-dinner/episodes/4457598

image.png.b1c69fc25b7977c548914d1b1c6e11cf.png

https://trakt.tv/shows/friday-night-dinner/seasons/0

trakt is somewhat not aligned to tvdb, which may be a cause of the issue; in that trakt thinks the episode is both s00e01 and s00e13.

mark it watched in emby

2021-01-31 12:15:41.490 Debug Trakt: POST {"shows":[],"episodes":[{"watched_at":"2021-01-31T12:15:36Z","ids":{"tvdb":4457598}}]}
2021-01-31 12:15:41.490 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.trakt.tv/sync/history

trakt thinks it has been told to mark s00E01 watch

image.png.d8bfaa6921b0cd387ecbb0f1fe14146e.png

however s00e13 remains unwatched...and so emby is flipped back to unwatched on next sync

image.png.41b8e46243e3cf2bbdb364ab18740de8.png

on trakt s00E13 has a tvdb link of 

https://www.thetvdb.com/dereferrer/episode/4457598

on trakt s00E01 has a tvdb link of

https://www.thetvdb.com/dereferrer/episode/4457598

which i assume is the crux of the issue.

@Luke i dont know if the plugin can do more than just supply a tvdbid to the api to distinguish between these duplications/mistakes on trakt...they are causing a bad outcome of emby. maybe, if a specific match is not possible, get result for a episode tvdbid and post watched for both?

workaround...manually mark s00E13 watched on trakt..

ginjaninja
On 30/01/2021 at 12:10, ginjaninja said:

so there seems to be protections for specials

this example gets flipped back to unwatched, even though it is a special

image.png.05a572d40ae426e48bbf324aa057882a.png

image.png.dc93352d828defb34a5d23e6d90e76de.png

interestingly trakt is preferring tmdb now for some shows it seems

https://trakt.tv/shows/black-mirror

interestingly S00E02 / tvdbid 6959083 doesnt exist on trakt

image.png.14d54d476bf0392109bfe9e8d4f35459.png

so it appears that not all specials on emby are protected from being flipped when they dont exist on trakt

workaround: none that i cant find....the only way i can keep this episode in my library watched is to skip unwatched import from trakt for all episodes...maybe emby's "lock metadata" could lock watched status from being flipped?

Spoiler

mark it watched in emby

2021-01-31 13:11:34.120 Debug Trakt: POST {"shows":[],"episodes":[{"watched_at":"2021-01-31T13:11:29Z","ids":{"tvdb":6959083}}]}
2021-01-31 13:11:34.120 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.trakt.tv/sync/history

2021-01-31 13:11:34.120 Debug Trakt: POST {"shows":[],"episodes":[{"watched_at":"2021-01-31T13:11:29Z","ids":{"tvdb":6959083}}]}
2021-01-31 13:11:34.120 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.trakt.tv/sync/history

nothing registered on trakt (presumably because tvdbid does not exist)

on next sync episode is mark unwatched in emby

Happy2Play
8 hours ago, ginjaninja said:

trakt is somewhat not aligned to tvdb, which may be a cause of the issue; in that trakt thinks the episode is both s00e01 and s00e13.

This shows Trakt has dated data as TVDB has removed S00E01, I would assume and replace it with S00E13.  Per their site.

https://thetvdb.com/series/friday-night-dinner/seasons/official/0

ginjaninja
11 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

This shows Trakt has dated data as TVDB has removed S00E01, I would assume and replace it with S00E13.  Per their site.

https://thetvdb.com/series/friday-night-dinner/seasons/official/0

sure, maybe its not a pervasive issue, but it is an example of how the emby watched status can be vulnerable to flip flopping if only tvdbid is submitted to the trakt api. either the post to trakt api needs 'protection' or the get from the api needs protection...unless the poor outcome is just accepted.