Suggestions on Dynamic DNS Updater

Sammy

Recent issues with Spectrum has caused me to have several Dynamic Public IP Addresses over the last week or so. Because of this I need to keep updating information on Cloudflare. What do you guys use to automate this? How have you set it up?

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020524512-Manage-dynamic-IPs-in-Cloudflare-DNS-programmatically

mastrmind11
11 hours ago, Sammy said:

Recent issues with Spectrum has caused me to have several Dynamic Public IP Addresses over the last week or so. Because of this I need to keep updating information on Cloudflare. What do you guys use to automate this? How have you set it up?

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020524512-Manage-dynamic-IPs-in-Cloudflare-DNS-programmatically

https://www.dnsomatic.com/ and look no further.  

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020524512-Manage-dynamic-IPs-in-Cloudflare-DNS-programmatically#h_161458650101544484552881

Edited by mastrmind11
  • Like 1

Thanks!

So is "Host Name" the public IP address issued by my ISP?

Edited by Sammy

mastrmind11
1 hour ago, Sammy said:

Thanks!

So is "Host Name" the public IP address issued by my ISP?

no just put in whatever you want there.  i just put "dynamic".   

rbjtech

Those local apps/router etc are just updating the Internet DNS record with your new Public IP address on a schedule.

Replication of the DNS record around the globe may take a while - so any change may not be instant.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CBers said:

Yes, if you can't add it to your router. 

I use a Unified Dream Machine Router.  Where/how to install it there?

41 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Those local apps/router etc are just updating the Internet DNS record with your new Public IP address on a schedule.

Replication of the DNS record around the globe may take a while - so any change may not be instant.

Yes but it seems that the change in public ip needs to be sent from my location because once it changes the DNS will not be able to find it again, right?

rbjtech

Correct.  I believe the UDM can do DDNS, but it may not necessarily be compatible with your DDNS provider.   I sent back my UDMPro so I can't help you with specifics I'm afraid.

CBers
8 minutes ago, Sammy said:

I use a Unified Dream Machine Router.  Where/how to install it there?

You may have a DDNS option on the router, where you enter the required details. 

Not all routers have that option. 

image.thumb.png.1b0329d96107cb287562347c97c63f30.png

I know all fields but "Server" I think this is the Cloudflare nameserver but am not sure.

Edited by Sammy

mastrmind11

no, thats for your ddns.  you also have to tweak cloudflare, which is outlined in the tutorial I pasted above.

image.thumb.png.477de11bf3ccc5b5aeb6e21568b9f7ac.png

2 hours ago, mastrmind11 said:

no, thats for your ddns.  you also have to tweak cloudflare, which is outlined in the tutorial I pasted above.

image.thumb.png.477de11bf3ccc5b5aeb6e21568b9f7ac.png

So I need to do it by tweaking cloudflare and making changes in my router's settings?

Sorry, I'm so 😕.

mastrmind11
2 minutes ago, Sammy said:

So I need to do it by tweaking cloudflare and making changes in my router's settings?

Sorry, I'm so 😕.

just point your router to dnsomatic, and then point dnsomatic to your cloudflare, and in cloudflare make the tweak to that it points back to dnsomatic.  it's not hard at all. once you set your router towards dnsomatic, just google "cloudflare dnsomatic", plenty of tutorials how to do it, but it's literally a single record added to your cloudflare dns.  im in a meeting right now but if you get hung up i'll get to help later today.

• Thanks 1

Q-Droid

You need a dns updater client that runs from within your network to update your dns provider when your public IP changes. 

Dns-o-matic is a service where you can setup other services to be updated, think of a hub. Then your dns updater client only needs to update Dns-o-matic. 

... Yeah, what mastermind said... 

Edited by Q-Droid

True.. The local client is built into the UDM. I think I can figure this out.. I'll report back in a bit.

• Like 1

So I think this will do..

I made these settings in dnsomatic using the API token from Cloudflare and my Cloudflare login information along with the hostname I have from namecheap for my emby server:

image.thumb.png.08250e03ed2307422e96520b3eaee714.png

Then I made these settings in my UDM router using the Username (email, not shorter Username as they both work to login) and Password for dnsomatic.

image.thumb.png.6b7107130cdea449517f009aa9b4f1c1.png

Correct me if I got something wrong in these settings.

mastrmind11
1 hour ago, Sammy said:

So I think this will do..

I made these settings in dnsomatic using the API token from Cloudflare and my Cloudflare login information along with the hostname I have from namecheap for my emby server:

image.thumb.png.08250e03ed2307422e96520b3eaee714.png

Then I made these settings in my UDM router using the Username (email, not shorter Username as they both work to login) and Password for dnsomatic.

image.thumb.png.6b7107130cdea449517f009aa9b4f1c1.png

Correct me if I got something wrong in these settings.

your dnsomatic domain and hostname fields are reversed.  your UDM looks ok.  I think you also want to go over to cloudflare and add an A record with the name dynamic and your current WAN IP address.  then create a new CNAME record with the name of your domain (whatever.com) and content of dynamic.whatever.com.  

thats how it used to be set up, not sure if cloudflare changed anything to make that step unnecessary.  maybe try it like you have it (with the domain and hostname fixed), and if you notice it not working, try my way.

edit: I think if you do it your way, the hostname has to actually point to your hostname, so if your FQDN was emby.whatever.com, you'd put whatever.com in the domain field and emby in the hostname field.  if you want more than 1 hostname (ie, emby, ssh, plex, etc), i think you have to do it my way so that dynamic always updates on cloudflare, and you add your additional CNAME fields for each domain (which will all roll up to the IP address dnsomatic is feeding to the dynamic A record).

Edited by mastrmind11
  • Thanks 1

So I switched this:

image.thumb.png.47358e8dd8e4f5753cbed7b3534494ee.png

entering emby.*****ge.tv goes directly to my Emby server.

Edited by Sammy
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, mastrmind11 said:

your dnsomatic domain and hostname fields are reversed.  your UDM looks ok.  I think you also want to go over to cloudflare and add an A record with the name dynamic and your current WAN IP address.  then create a new CNAME record with the name of your domain (whatever.com) and content of dynamic.whatever.com.  

thats how it used to be set up, not sure if cloudflare changed anything to make that step unnecessary.  maybe try it like you have it (with the domain and hostname fixed), and if you notice it not working, try my way.

edit: I think if you do it your way, the hostname has to actually point to your hostname, so if your FQDN was emby.whatever.com, you'd put whatever.com in the domain field and emby in the hostname field.  if you want more than 1 hostname (ie, emby, ssh, plex, etc), i think you have to do it my way so that dynamic always updates on cloudflare, and you add your additional CNAME fields for each domain (which will all roll up to the IP address dnsomatic is feeding to the dynamic A record).

Currently I only run the Emby server but eventually I want to do this for other servers I have running.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sammy said:

So, now that that's out of the way, how to test it?

Manually change the DNS entry so it's wrong.

Reboot your router and it should pull and IP, then go through the update.

Check DNS record. :)