Suggestions on Dynamic DNS Updater

Sammy

3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

'nslookup emby.yourdomain.com'

should bring back your public IP address .. :)

This returned two ip6 and two ip4 addresses, none of which match my public IP address.

23 minutes ago, cayars said:

Manually change the DNS entry so it's wrong.

Reboot your router and it should pull and IP, then go through the update.

Check DNS record. :)

Where do I manually change the DNS entry?

I don't always get a new IP address when rebooting my router, modem; either or both.

Where do I check the DNS record?

Now I get it. I don't need a different  IP address on my router but by inputting the wrong one in Cloudflare and rebooting the router my wrong one should get automatically updated by my Dynamic DNS Service built into my router and dnsomatic.

Edited by Sammy

rbjtech

There are two stages to this :-

1. Setup DDNS - so a DNS name (provided by the DDNS provider) points to your Public IP.

Once you get your public IP back from a DNS query (nslookup) - then you can use this DNS Name (not IP!) in the Cloudflare config.

2. Set the 'IP/Hostname' in Cloudflare - to be the above DNS Name.  Can't help here as I don't use Cloadflare - so over to the experts... 

Cloudflare wants to manage the DNS so you need to change it here.

dnsomatic.com can directly change the IP address for a host record in Cloudflare so that's the most direct and foolproof method.

mastrmind11

and it will work.  no particular reason to test it, this is a pretty well documented/tested procedure, and based on your previous posts you have my stamp of approval, it will work.

• Haha 1

rbjtech

Have you established DDNS is working ?

You should be able to 'nslookup mychosenDDNSdomainname.DDNSnamedomain.com'

and it should resolve to your public IP address.

Until this works, there is no point trying to setup cloudflare as it uses this dns record - probably via CNAME's to re-direct to your home router but I'm not 100% here.

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Have you established DDNS is working ?

You should be able to 'nslookup mychosenDDNSdomainname.DDNSnamedomain.com'

and it should resolve to your public IP address.

Until this works, there is no point trying to setup cloudflare as it uses this dns record - probably via CNAME's to re-direct to your home router but I'm not 100% here.

Can you help with defining the wild cards here? 

mastrmind11
29 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Can you help with defining the wild cards here? 

wildcards where?  cloudflare?

Just now, mastrmind11 said:

wildcards where?  cloudflare?

nslookup mychosenDDNSdomainname.DDNSnamedomain.com

mastrmind11
Just now, Sammy said:

nslookup mychosenDDNSdomainname.DDNSnamedomain.com

nslookup emby.yourdomain.tv

• Like 1

Okay. That's what I did.

The IP address returned from that is not the same as that returned by typing what's my ip in the browser address bar. Google returns four ip addresses, 2 ip4 and 2 ip6 addresses.

mastrmind11
Just now, Sammy said:

Okay. That's what I did.

The IP address returned from that is not the same as that returned by typing what's my ip in the browser address bar. Google returns four ip addresses, 2 ip4 and 2 ip6 addresses.

so youre probably getting back Cloudlfare's IP, which is fine.  You mentioned that you can hit your FQDN from an external device and it sends to your emby right?  I think you're probably ok.

• Like 1

I just checked here at work. My work's url returns a different IP address than What's my IP too. This should be fine as it is re-directed.

• Like 1

mastrmind11
Just now, Sammy said:

I just checked here at work. My work's url returns a different IP address than What's my IP too. This should be fine as it is re-directed.

yep, seems like youre good to go.

emby.mydomain.tv loads my emby server just fine. I've set it up as it should be and have been blessed by mastrmind11 so I'm good to go!

mastrmind11
16 minutes ago, Sammy said:

emby.mydomain.tv loads my emby server just fine. I've set it up as it should be and have been blessed by mastrmind11 so I'm good to go!

👍  not sure who your ISP is, but if you have a modem, just unplug it for 10 mins and plug it back in to get a new IP.  If youre on fiber, you can do the same with the ONT but you have to go find it.  Verify the IP is updated in dnsomatic (theres a notepad icon that will show you the timestamp it gets updated).  Happy streaming.

• Thanks 1

mastrmind11
5 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Spectrum. It is a DOCSIS 3.1 Modem.

ok yeah, shut it down for 10-20 mins, get yourself a new IP and test the update, even overnight if you're quiet overnight and plug it back in with a cup of coffee..  should propagate fairly quickly.  you should see something like this in your dnsomatic log where the new IP Address matches your new IP Address (but more importantly that the date is today

image.png.4fc49d637bd3058a6c319ed734dfb827.png

Edited by mastrmind11

My wife falls asleep every night with Columbo re-runs served up by Emby so turning it off at night is not an option.. Well I could get her to watch something on Netflix.. Hmm.