Playlists not working with 4.6.0.20 beta

steveblair

steveblair

After upgrading to the latest beta, playlists no longer seem to work on the Roku client. When select an existing playlist, it shows the correct total number of items that are supposed to be in playlist (directly below the title), but then just shows "No Items" where the playlist should be.

Clicking on "Play All" gives me a "Playback Error".

The Playlists work fine on the web client and android (and were working fine on the Roku previously).

Reference: Issue #1043: Playlists not working with 4.6.0.20 beta

We will see what is happening and make adjustments to correct it. Thanks for spotting it. Any others you find please let us know. Thanks. :)

It currently looks like the app is only supporting audio playlists so I don't think this would have ever worked.

The application supports both video and audio playlists. The detection of which is which may be off. If there is not a mediaType for the playlist it will assume it is audio. I am suspect playlists lost their mediatype and now video playlists are not report as mediatype = video. If the mediaType field is empty this used to be how audio playlists presented themselves they had an empty mediaType field. This is why it may incorrectly assume it is an audio playlist.

I have not updated to this beta version yet so cannot tell exactly what is wrong only take an educated guess.

I am going to make a second instance of Emby server to install this new Beta and figure this out.

Edited by speechles
  • Thanks 1

steveblair

Not sure if this helps or not, but just for interests sake, if I cast a playlist from my android phone to the roku, the playlist plays correctly.

steveblair

One more piece of info, I believe your assumption that Roku thinks these are audio playlists is correct. After getting the Playback Error, once I hit okay, it goes to a black screen with audio controls along the bottom (previous, play, forward, repeat, random, etc...) with a spinning circle that never goes away. Selecting "Play" closes Emby and returns to the Roku Home Page.

Is there a way to manually indicate these playlists as "video"? (perhaps by editing the playlist xml directly?)

50 minutes ago, steveblair said:

One more piece of info, I believe your assumption that Roku thinks these are audio playlists is correct. After getting the Playback Error, once I hit okay, it goes to a black screen with audio controls along the bottom (previous, play, forward, repeat, random, etc...) with a spinning circle that never goes away. Selecting "Play" closes Emby and returns to the Roku Home Page.

Is there a way to manually indicate these playlists as "video"? (perhaps by editing the playlist xml directly?)

The way the Roku works is a bit different. It expects the playlist to obtain a MediaType during the initial fetch. It does not yet know the contents of the playlist to know what it is composed of. The video playlists used to populate the MediaType field with "video" as the value. This made it possible to redirect to each handler: video, photo, or audio. With the MediaType now missing this makes it fall back to "audio" as the only type playlists can handle presently. We apologize.

We are working on a solution and should have one shortly. Please stay tuned.

Edited by speechles
  • Thanks 1