Audio sync issues

Corteq
Go to solution Solved by justinrh,

I know Thomas64 has a topic on this, but it doesn't seem to have been resolved so I thought I should start a new one with my specific issues.

Audio playback is fine for the first minute but video then starts lagging behind by about a second. Clicking rewind results in everything syncing again but only temporarily. My system includes:

1. Emby Server located on Windows 2012 Virtual Server

2. Client machines include 1 x high end (office) AMD Ryzen 3950X, RTX2080, 64GB RAM and 1 x mid range (lounge). Both systems Windows 10 Pro 20H2.

3. Issue happens using Edge Chrome, Chrome.

4. Network is local GB Wired LAN.

Emby Theatre is not affected.

Chromecast to my bedroom TV from Apple phones and iPads works without problem!

This has been happening for 2 or 3 months. I think this coincides with update to latest Windows version, 20H2, maybe prior.

I would appreciate any help with this. Attached are logs etc. Let me know if I can provide further details.

Screen.jpg

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-ce2a8306-6a8b-4d99-ab2f-c98a5a6d90e2_1.txt hardware_detection-63747306552.txt

Edited by Corteq

TheMonkey
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Hi, is this a file you recorded via Emby?

I can't speak for them, but I'm also having the same issue with blu-ray rips that I've already transcoded and compressed.  The file is fine in VLC, and the stream works fine on TV boxes, it is just messed up with Windows 10

Just now, TheMonkey said:

I can't speak for them, but I'm also having the same issue with blu-ray rips that I've already transcoded and compressed.  The file is fine in VLC, and the stream works fine on TV boxes, it is just messed up with Windows 10

Hi, Open a new thread and post and

1 hour ago, cayars said:

Hi, is this a file you recorded via Emby?

No, this is one from my DVD rip collection.

Do you have any tools to remux a file?
If so can you try remuxing this and then trying it again?

2 hours ago, cayars said:

Do you have any tools to remux a file?
If so can you try remuxing this and then trying it again?

Thank you for your suggestion but no this is not the answer. The files play back fine in EMBY Theatre and Chromecast, also VLC. There is nothing wrong with the files. I have over 3000 of them in the library. I have been using DVDFab to create mkv files using PASSTHROUGH to get the best result. They have been playing perfectly for many years. As stated, it has only been the last couple of months that these are not playing correctly through Edge or Chrome.

I just tried Opera and had no problems. As a temporary workaround I could use this, but it is not a solution.

You don't know this isn't the answer without trying it.  Some players are more finicky then others.
But yes I agree it's likely not the issue (still worth trying on a file or two since it's so fast to do).

• Solution
justinrh

Seems Chrome has had this issue before.  There is even an extension to fix it.  Have you tried Firefox?  I know, you probably don't want to change browsers, but it could be an easy fix.  (And, you might like the better browser experience 😉 )

3 hours ago, justinrh said:

Seems Chrome has had this issue before.  There is even an extension to fix it.  Have you tried Firefox?  I know, you probably don't want to change browsers, but it could be an easy fix.  (And, you might like the better browser experience 😉 )

Thanks justinrh. Yes this is definitely a Chrome issue. As New Edge is based on Chrome it figures that this is a core issue and not some setting or extension compatibility. I have been testing other browsers. Firefox and Opera have no problems. I tried the YouTube extension fix you suggested and it causes a pause every 20 seconds or so. I gave up on that  but I did appreciate the link, it was worth a try.

So, my conclusion is to use Firefox or Opera for Emby, at least for the time being.

I am a little puzzled as to why we are not getting a lot more posting on this issue. From what I can see it should be consistent with anybody patched to current levels. If you are reading this topic because you are having audio sync problems I would find it helpful if you would submit a comment.

Thank you cayars and justinrh for your input. Every comment helps to find a solution.