Does Emby content stream using local network connection or needs to stream over the internet?

davesurfer
Go to solution Solved by Sammy,

davesurfer

Hi! I'm setting up an Amazon Fire Stick and will want to use the Emby app to stream content from my Emby server. I'm not familiar with how apps generally work in this manner, but does the Emby Amazon Fire app stream content using the local network or does it have to use the internet? I'm hoping it can connect to the Emby server locally as I wouldn't want it to waste Internet bandwidth to stream from my own local server. Let me know thanks! :)

• Solution

You need a Internet connection but Emby streams over your LAN if both the server and client are on the same LAN.

jrwalte

technically you don't even need an internet connection. You can connect to server manually using IP and don't need to use the emby connect feature. Good to know if your internet goes down and you still want to watch and it won't connect by using the connect feature.

davesurfer
9 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi. Please let us know if this answers  your question.

Thanks.

Very much so thanks guys! I'm thinking of using the HTPC just for the server and run the Emby app off of the Firestick, also I need a new receiver. Running Emby Theater from the HTPC is getting more and more glitchy, and I don't want to have to deal with some of the Windows/PC problems and need something that's more reliable.

Edited by davesurfer

54 minutes ago, Sammy said:

You need an internet connection to use Emby Premiere so it can be validated.

This requires occasional internet access but does not require constant internet access.

• Like 1

davesurfer
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

This requires occasional internet access but does not require constant internet access.

Not an issue, the Firestick will be always internet connected. I just didn't want to have to internet-stream my own local content :)

davesurfer

Tested the Firestick, getting compression artifacts with the playback, quality is not great. I'm thinking I might stick with using Emby Theater and play content directly from the server instead of any streaming. Streaming to my laptop or phone looks great, but must be the WIFI connection on the Amazon Fire Stick. I could try getting the LAN adapter for it to see if that helps.

Did you verify your streaming settings in the server and in the app?

Does the bitrate of the source exceed the capacity of the Firestick?

Is it transcoding on thevserver?