automatically create movies collections by actors

newtester

newtester

Hi, is there a plugin or script available that would allow users to automatically create movie collections by actor, based on the cast/actor fields metadata in the NFO files? Thanks!

Did you know you could click on a person and see all their media pertaining to them? You can do this on-the-fly by clicking on any person on an items "Cast & Crew" row found on the items detail screen. Once you click into the person it will generate rows with all the items in your library that relate to that person. This also works with Music Artists to allow you to see all their albums, songs, albums they are in with others, as well as any music videos you may have with them.

You also want collections created by person too?

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

newtester
3 hours ago, speechles said:

You can do this on-the-fly by clicking on an person on an items "Cast & Crew" row found on the items detail screen. Once you click into the person it will generate rows with all the items in your library that relate to that person.

You also want collections created by person too?

Thanks for your reply!  What I mean is to automatically build a collection (let's name it "Actors"), so that this collection will display under Collections menu, and when I click on the "Actors" collection menu item under the Collections menu on the left side of my Emby page area, a collection page will appear that contains clickable thumbs of actors and actor's name, clicking on any actor's thumb image will open up a page that includes all movies by that actor.

and yes, the "Cast & Crew" data is pulled from the "People" filed in NFO files.  My question is, is there a plugin/script that would automate the creation of such collection.  I do not want to click the "Cast & Crew" row in a movie details page to open up such page.

[edited: corrected typo]

Edited by newtester

rbjtech

You get an 'auto-collection' now based on that actor as @speechles said above - I don't see how having a collection based on every actor is even remotely feasible ? 

If you don't know what movies that actor has been in to find them in the first place - then just search for them using the main search and then click on them to get the list of their movies etc.

If you REALLY wanted to - you can then manually select all the movies and create a collection if you so wish - but a) this is not automatic and b) you can get this anytime you like with a few key presses anyway.

tom1.PNG

tom2.PNG

• Like 1

newtester
8 hours ago, rbjtech said:

You get an 'auto-collection' now based on that actor as @speechles said above - I don't see how having a collection based on every actor is even remotely feasible ? 

"remotely feasible" ? check these out:

1. A collection of "people" in your libraries:

upload_2021-1-25_15-13-34.thumb.png.c917d444de80f103f362a5f0fc90f034.png

2. Clicking on any image of an actor/actress, all movies by that actor/actress will show in the resulting page:

upload_2021-1-25_15-17-47.thumb.png.dcc4c60fc7ad79d03b97194319cbb909.png

I don't want to having to search for an actor first then clicking on the single actor's page to get to movies by that actor, I want a collection that automatically populates all actors in the "people" database, this function is currently not a native function in Emby, but many people have developed scripts that do exactly that, the images I showed are a proof that it is not "even remotely feasible", but it is a reality already.

I don't want to "get this anytime you like with a few key presses anyway", I want just one single click on the "people" collection and get the results I wanted as shown above.  If you don't think that has any value to you, fine, but it has great value for me! and I am looking for help to write my own script to accomplish this.

Edited by newtester

Happy2Play

No there currently is not anything that makes Collections by Actor.

The closest thing currently is smart playlists but you have to build the variables, so not automatic.  But this is a playlist of every item that contains said actor.

New Plugin: Smart Playlists - Plugins - Emby Community

newtester
37 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

No there currently is not anything that makes Collections by Actor.

The closest thing currently is smart playlists but you have to build the variables, so not automatic.  But this is a playlist of every item that contains said actor.

New Plugin: Smart Playlists - Plugins - Emby Community

Thanks! but no, that is not what I am looking to accomplish, I believe that a collection by actors will be a very useful feature to have, and I am looking to develop my own script (or find a script that is already made) to accomplish this goal.

1 minute ago, bakes82 said:

The code to do it is pretty simple.  But seems kind of a niche use case.

Can you make collections from tags?

It's arguably unnecessary because in 4.6 tags will have most of the same features as collections. So in that sense, why bother creating a collection when you can just click on the tag.

5 minutes ago, newtester said:

I am completely lost.  How do use tags that "have most of the same features as collections"?  

If you can browse a list of tags, click on a tag and see the content, then I don't think you're gaining much by duplicating all of that into a collection.

newtester

Forgive my ignorance for I am new to Emby (new to all media server programs, no prior experience with Kodi, Plex, or Jeelyfin either), how do I browse a list of tags?

9 minutes ago, newtester said:

Forgive my ignorance for I am new to Emby (new to all media server programs, no prior experience with Kodi, Plex, or Jeelyfin either), how do I browse a list of tags?

You can't currently. I'm just saying it's in process of being built up.

• 3 months later...
zuikongbu
On 1/26/2021 at 4:07 PM, newtester said:

"remotely feasible" ? check these out:

1. A collection of "people" in your libraries:

upload_2021-1-25_15-13-34.thumb.png.c917d444de80f103f362a5f0fc90f034.png

2. Clicking on any image of an actor/actress, all movies by that actor/actress will show in the resulting page:

upload_2021-1-25_15-17-47.thumb.png.dcc4c60fc7ad79d03b97194319cbb909.png

I don't want to having to search for an actor first then clicking on the single actor's page to get to movies by that actor, I want a collection that automatically populates all actors in the "people" database, this function is currently not a native function in Emby, but many people have developed scripts that do exactly that, the images I showed are a proof that it is not "even remotely feasible", but it is a reality already.

I don't want to "get this anytime you like with a few key presses anyway", I want just one single click on the "people" collection and get the results I wanted as shown above.  If you don't think that has any value to you, fine, but it has great value for me! and I am looking for help to write my own script to accomplish this.

Hi buddy, this is exactly what I want to have as well. Have you found anything viable? As you quoted "many people have developed scripts that do exactly that, the images I showed are a proof that it is not "even remotely feasible", but it is a reality already.", I have been digging over the weekend and haven't found a solution

zuikongbu

Actually I saw this request is being asked already.. 

And this is a feature pre-existed! Please bring it back, maybe as a optional feature or plugin

rbjtech

I think you are misunderstanding what I previously said.

If you wish to create a collection based on a certain actor - then great, that is possible today - lets say you do a search, highlight the items, add to collection.  Lets say they have been in 20 films - so your collection now has 20 items. Great.  If that was automated - then even better.

Now do that for the 10,000+ actors in a typical emby database - that's 10,000 collections - each one have one or more films in it.   THAT is what I mean by not feasible.