Select individual folders to use folder view

leandypandy

leandypandy

I think it would be great if you could set "view mode" on individual folders in a library. Either with a setting in GUI or with a file (similar to .ignore file). So if you have a folder in your library tha cannot be identified you can select to always view it as files and folders. Maybe it could use a .folderview file in the folder or a setting in the GUI. It would ignore any metadata.

Hi.  What are you actually trying to accomplish?  You could just use a library type of home videos to achieve folder view or use the folder view from the UI for whichever library you wish.  There would be no way for part of a library to be folder view and other parts not...

leandypandy
2 hours ago, ebr said:

There would be no way for part of a library to be folder view and other parts not...

Which is why I made a feature request :)

I have a folder structure like this:

• TV (HDD label)
    • Show A (folder)
    • Show B (folder)
    • Show C (folder)
    • Show X (folder)

I have created a TV library for the HDD named TV which works fine for most shows. But as it turns out there is no way to identify Show C. Its my own digitized media that cannot be identified. Its identified automatically by Emby as something its not and its now not possible for me to stream anything in folder "Show C" at all. Even if I create a separate library with "Home videos" with only that folder in it, it still shows the "identified" content.

The only way (as far as I know) to solve this in Emby is to change folder structure to something like this:

• TV (HDD label)
    • Shows
      • Show A (folder)
      • Show B (folder)
      • Show X (folder)
    • Other
      • Show C (folder)

But that would mean completely changing around my whole storage (that is used by several other things) to fit Emby. And I would have to keep manually on disk move around folders and files anytime Emby is unable to identify the content in a folder. Or chose to completely ignore it.

I daily use Kodi which has a solution I like for this. In Kodi I can specifically select folder "Show C" and ignore it (which also removes the metadata). Then I can in the main menu select "Video -> Files" instead of "TV" and browse the files to find the file I want to play. I can traverse the folder structure instead of the library. Its a very simple solution to a problem I would guess many have. Local or really old TV is not guaranteed to exist on online metadata services.

tl;dr: I want to browse my libraries files without involving any metadata.

4 minutes ago, leandypandy said:

I want to browse my libraries files without involving any metadata

This is accomplished in Emby with a home videos type library.

5 minutes ago, leandypandy said:

Even if I create a separate library with "Home videos" with only that folder in it, it still shows the "identified" content.

You must have also moved a NFO file with the identification in it.  Eliminate this and it won't be a problem.

We will leave this feature request here but I think the real solution to your issue will be to either separate these home made shows to another library OR create custom metadata for them that is correct and then lock them so they don't get changed again.

leandypandy
1 minute ago, ebr said:

This is accomplished in Emby with a home videos type library.

Not if the folder is within another library and has already ben wrongly identified as I described. This seems to only work if the libraries are folders that are completely separate.

1 minute ago, ebr said:

You must have also moved a NFO file with the identification in it.  Eliminate this and it won't be a problem.

As far as I know I don't use any metadata savers that save data alongside the content. That is quite simply because I don't want emby to have any control whatsoever over the files. Simply read access.

2 minutes ago, ebr said:

We will leave this feature request here but I think the real solution to your issue will be to either separate these home made shows to another library OR create custom metadata for them that is correct and then lock them so they don't get changed again.

Unfortunately its not one or two series or something. It's a lot of different kind of content. So custom metadata is not an option.

It's quite frustrating that whith all the advanced and fancy features Emby has it cannot play a video file.

The ideal solution would be an option in the menu on libraries: "Show as files". And you open a basic browser that shows folder and files based upon the library location. Just like the Metadata Manager. But that shows the files in the right pane. And you can click to stream individual files.

I guess this request will be rejected either way but it's worth a try.

28 minutes ago, leandypandy said:

The ideal solution would be an option in the menu on libraries: "Show as files".

Hi.  We already have that option.  It is the "Folders" tab in each library.

leandypandy
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We already have that option.  It is the "Folders" tab in each library.

Yeah I saw that. Looked to be what I was looking for at first. But then I realised that "Folders" may work when a folder has not been identified at all. But since my folder has been incorrectly identified what is shown when opening it, even when using the folder option, is the identified version where it tries to collect sub-folders into seasons and such. For example, I have some old fishing videos digitized from VHS like this:

• TV (HDD label)
    • Show A
    • Show B
    • Documentaries
      • Fishing
        • My fishing video
    • Show C
    • Show D

In this case folder "Documentaries" has been incorrectly identified as some random series, and now I cannot find "My fishing video". Fishing folder is considered a season or something and random files are grouped together.

emby.png

pwhodges

Do you have in your folder structure any folders that contain both subfolders and a video file?  I don't know definitively if that is a problem in video folders, but it is in music folders (until the current beta, which has changed this).

Paul

If he's putting home videos in a TV Show library, these problems will happen regardless because it is going to try and match the contents to a TV show.  The only solution right now will be to manually provide metadata or put them in a home video library.