High CPU usage when playing movies

johnbajer

4 minutes ago, johnbajer said:

Is there any way to avoid transcoding? Even when I open H264 file it transcodes.

It's probably for another reason. Did you explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

johnbajer
Playback Info

Player:
Web Video Player
Play method:
Transcode
Protocol:
http
Stream type:
HLS
Video Info

Video resolution:
678x513
Dropped frames:
Corrupted frames:
Transcoding Info

Video codec:
H264
Audio codec:
AAC
Bitrate:
4.4 Mbps
Transcoding progress:
6.5%
Transcoding framerate:
615 fps
Reason for transcoding:
Container not supported
Original Media Info

Container:
mkv
Bitrate:
2.1 Mbps
Video codec:
HEVC Main
Video bitrate:
2.1 Mbps
Video framerate:
29.97003 fps
Audio codec:
VORBIS
Audio channels:
Audio sample rate:
48000 Hz

Mkv is not supported by your browser. Most browsers don't support mkv (only Chromium-based browsers such as Chrome).

Additionally that's also hevc so the same answer as before - your browser does not support it, therefore Emby Server transcodes on the fly.

Happy2Play
54 minutes ago, johnbajer said:

Is there any way to avoid transcoding? Even when I open H264 file it transcodes.

Only having media in a browser friendly format, otherwise Emby does what it is designed to do transcode on the fly to deliver your media.

2 hours ago, johnbajer said:

You mentioned linux earlier.... if you've got a linux system you could look into Tdarr. It can convert your media to any format. I use it to convert my library to HEVC mkv, but you could easily configure it to do the exact opposite. MP4 x264 with 2ch AAC audio should be pretty universal and direct play on most systems.

johnbajer

I will install Jellyfin on my NAS as it does the same without requesting payment. Emby turns to be useless unless premier account is purchased. I have already uninstall it. Thanks for the support.

1 hour ago, johnbajer said:

I will install Jellyfin on my NAS as it does the same without requesting payment. Emby turns to be useless unless premier account is purchased. I have already uninstall it. Thanks for the support.

I installed Jellyfin 3 or 4 weeks ago to see if it would be suitable to replace my Plex server that I use as a backup server. I kept it for all of an hour. It reminded me of a stripped down version of Emby from about 3 years ago. Since it's a fork of an old version of Emby, I'm sure it's got many of the same capabilities, but wow does it ever look crappy.