High CPU usage when playing movies

johnbajer

Happy2Play

That is expected behavior when a item need transcoded.  Or should I say until the item is completely transcoded.  Only way to slightly change it is "Enable throttling" on Dashboard-Transcoding.

I don't believe FireFox does not support HEVC or the subtitle

&TranscodeReasons=SubtitleCodecNotSupported

Hi, to prevent this high cpu usage, try any of the following:

• Turn off the subtitles
  • Use external .srt subtitles
  • Use an Emby app such as Emby for android, iOS, or windows that can direct play the subtitles without transcoding

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, johnbajer said:

Hi all, even without subtitles and with throttling enabled it reaches 100% cpu usage.

Hi there, can you please provide a log example from that? Thanks.

2 minutes ago, johnbajer said:

how to get another log? I got the one I have uploaded from Emby screen.

Hi, from the same place  you got the first one, right?

johnbajer

I have the following specs:

Truenas 12

Intel 3770K with 16gb RAM

Emby keeps the processor bussy almost al the time 10% minimum without doing anything.

johnbajer

When using this program   https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/emby-theater-bin on Manjaro it works fine. The issue is with with any browser used. I have tried Chromium, Firefox and Opera with same results. I have to stop Emby to drop from 95 or 100% CPU usage.

ffmpeg-transcode-dba31593-dde7-42ca-82e3-3206c64fe7cc_1.txt embyserver-63747140792.txt hardware_detection-63747140797.txt embyserver.txt

Happy2Play

You can go to a site like html5test.com to see what your browser supports, but lots of systems do not support HEVC in Browsers.  So transcoding in required and is normal for that process to max your cpu.

That CPU appears to have Quick Sync so if you are premiere user you could enable Hardware Acceleration to assist in some cases,

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, johnbajer said:

where to find HEVC on that site?

As you can see in my Browser test it does not support HEVC/H265.  But these are browser and system specific.

browser.thumb.jpg.acc928a41925311697e4dccda27b50f9.jpg

8 minutes ago, johnbajer said:

so emby is useless  for video streaming unless I have the premium account, right?

Far from useless. But if your only use-case for Emby is to stream HEVC encoded files to a browser without wanting to pay for premiere to add hardware accelleration then I guess you could say that. But I'd wager that's likely an edge-case scenario and not going to be your every day use.

Premiere does add some key features and only costs a portion of the cost of that processor you're using :) Although I will say hardware acceleration on FreeBSD/FreeNAS is still something that's hacked together and not exactly an easy process. This is because of limitations in FreeBSD.