Stop Freezing, Slow Screen Loading & Internet Problems.

OnyxUK

Hello Guys, 

I would like to share with you all a way where you can speed up your pc server to help stop freezing, slow performance and many internet problems with one little fix. This has worked for me like a treat and i hope it works for others as well. their is no downloading other software either. 

To achieve the best results possible run a speed test using this link Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test first to see what your connection is like. you normally look straight at the upload and download speeds don't worry about these just yet, your main focus is the PING speed, as you can see this was mine before i started with the next step. 

636288508_speedtestping114ms.png.d8adb66c9a9a4be6b60196cfdce0caf3.png

Notice I have a PING of 114ms. this is really bad and needs to be as low as possible, Basically PING is what sends information to one server to the next, having a lower PING speeds will give you better performance with streaming to other tv's, xbox and other devices. this helps with a lot of things such as loading, screen freezing, playback freezing, internet speed, and many more.... 

Okay so what we need to do is DISABLE NETWORK THROTTLING.

DISABLE NETWORK THROTTLING

Windows has a built-in setting that limits your bandwidth to what your computer can handle.

Results will vary and it might cause more harm than good, but it’s worth playing with the settings to see if it works for you.

We’ll need to play with some internet Windows settings, so follow carefully.

Step 1. Search Windows for Regedit.

Step 2. Follow the the following program path, using the arrow next to each folder to to open the next: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile.

Step 3. Whilst you have the SystemProfile folder selected, double click on NetworkThrottlingIndex.

Regedit 2018 03 30 20 54 36

Step 4. Change Value data to ffffffff (fx8 times) with the Hexadecimal base still selected.

Regedit 2018 03 30 21 35 08

If you want to switch back, the default value is hexadecimal a.

Once these steps are complete close everything down and Restart your pc. Once everything is rebooted these setting will take place and you can now run the speed test once more to check the new speeds, as you can see in the picture below i achieved a massive difference having PING 114ms to PING 11ms.

119669643_speedtestping11ms.thumb.png.2bbd9d2bf64e34e11738acdd6ace3ef5.png

With this being lower i then checked all my devices (phone, tv,pc and xbox) all with massive speed and performance increases. I hope this helps anyone that is finding bad connects, low performances, freezing and slow loading. 

Best Of Luck and hope this helps 

Onyx   

Don't mean to rain on your parade but you need to select a specific server to test against.  Using 2 different destination servers doesn't tell you much.

You may also want to reconsider changing this option.

When active it allows network throttling to restrict and slow network traffic when regular (not multimedia) traffic is transferred.

So basically enabling this makes other traffic equal to your media streaming which probably isn't what you want to do.

hey cayars 

like i put in the main description, this is what worked for me. im not tech savvy but this seemed to fix a lot of problems for me and on my end so i thought i would share with everyone else. 

Sure, always good to try things.  But all I'm saying is the "evidence" you showed doesn't prove anything as you PINGED two different servers which will have different internet routes as well as different servers.

Try again if you want manually choosing a specific server both times.  Also try to ping and tracert to specific servers like 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS).

You may also want to check your router to see if QOS service is enabled and try it both on and off as well.

One thing to remember is that a faster time isn't always a good results in the throttling/QOS world.  With media streaming and running these commands you would expect to see the numbers worse as that can indicate the streaming media is getting the benefit of the bandwidth vs the other apps.  So results aren't always to be taken at "face value".

okay thats understandable, if you feel that this would make things worse then please delete this from the forums. like i said before im no where near tech savvy but found something that worked for me personally. and thought i would share it 

Oh no, not saying that at all.  Changes like this are always worth trying.

Doesn't matter what a test shows.  If a change fixes or helps your streaming then that's a test in itself right?

• Like 1