Emby Beta MKV with FLAC 7.1 playing in 5.1

ClutchFan

ClutchFan

Hi all, this is related to my other thread about 5.1 being played in stereo:

I'm hoping this forum is the right place to report issues with the Emby Beta app.

I installed the Emby Beta app on my Roku Ultra the other day, and to my surprise I saw that the option to convert AAC / FLAC was already there, so I turned it to Yes and played my Skyfall backup, and happily, it played in 5.1 surround (I can hit a button on my receiver to make it show the input channels and output channels)

So after Skyfall I moved on to the next film in the series, Spectre, which I'd backed up with FLAC 7.1. Unfortunately, this one seems to be sending a 5.1 signal to the receiver.

Not a huge issue of course, but I wanted to make note of it

If the application reads from the device information of your Roku that your audio equipment can support Dolby AC3 surround that will be the chosen codec when transcoding. This will help retain your surround channels. The Roku will downmix on the device anything sent to it in AAC/FLAC 5.1 into 2.0 stereo. We must transcode on your Emby server to keep surround. Otherwise you would only hear stereo sound.

Does this answer your question?

Roku only supports 7.1 with ATMOS when using E-AC3 (Dolby Digital+). At this time we cannot transcode to E-AC3 in 7.1 nor keep ATMOS metadata. We can only do AC3 (Dolby Digital) in 5.1.

Edited by speechles

ClutchFan

Thanks @speechles, I think the last thing you said about E-AC3 is the issue in my case, as my receiver can handle 7.1 and has played it before from other channels on the Roku. Any idea if E-AC3 is possible for the future?

Just now, ClutchFan said:

Any idea if E-AC3 is possible for the future?

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/3595

First there needs to be support for it within ffmpeg. Until that time we have no ability to encode 8 channel E-AC3. Apologies.