M1 macMini

quackpipe

quackpipe

Has anyone tried running the server on the M1 MacMini? Is that supported yet?

I’m thinking about taking the server off of my ryzen/RTX2080 PC and over to a new MacMini to let it run 24/7. 

thanks for your input and thoughts. 

sross44

Ive seen pictures of people running up to 6, 4k transcodes on Plex at one time using Rosetta on an M1 mac mini. I've got to assume Rosetta can easily handle Emby running in the background until native m1 support is available from Emby. @Luke this is awesome news though and I can't wait to see this happen!! 

• Like 1

analogking

I’m running emby server on a 8gb/256gb m1 Mac mini. It work great for my use (4 users).  I added a fast external usb c ssd (1tb) for download processing.  

40 minutes ago, analogking said:

I’m running emby server on a 8gb/256gb m1 Mac mini. It work great for my use (4 users).  I added a fast external usb c ssd (1tb) for download processing.  

@analogking that's great to hear. Do you use server transcoding as well?

analogking

Yes.  Transcoding 1 user works great and plays anything I throw at it.  I’m still troubleshooting my issue with hardware transcoding multiple streams (audio with subtitles).  The system looks like it is transcoding a maximum of 40fps between streams.  

The limit may be CPU. It appears to be running all performance cores near 100% and efficient cores near 95%. I’m not sure this is causing the slowdown, I would have to do more testing.

I don’t usually transcode or use subtitles, I was just trying to see what would break it before my apple return window closed.

• 3 weeks later...
MyTheater
On 1/24/2021 at 5:35 AM, Luke said:

Hi, not yet. We are working on m1 support.

Hi, that's good to know (thanks). 
will you only adapt (Rosetta support) or optimize for M1 Architecture and be more efficient ? 😍

if you developed optimized M1 system with better performance for livestream will order new Mac mini asap for dedicated Emby server 😁😁😁

thanks for you're time 

• 2 months later...

Can you please try the macOS 11.3 update with the Emby app? It appears to have resolved many of the issues that had been blocking us.

If you'd like a newer version of the Emby app and don't mind sideloading, you can participate in testing here:

Thanks.