TrueHD behaving strangely on my hardware

Lazyace

rbjtech

46 minutes ago, speechles said:

@Lazyace Is there an "Instant Game Response" setting on your TV in some setting somewhere? That is what is causing the issue with your random pop ups.

Interesting - presumably you aren't watching on the Game profile (I hope..) but this pools the HDMI ports peroidically so maybe it's glitching the Shield HDMI connection?   Good possibility @speechles

re files - here is a good source.

https://thedigitaltheater.com/dolby-trailers/

Nope. I only use ISF or Film Maker mode for movies. The former for SDR the latter for HDR.

Regarding notifications. If you turn Atmos off on the TV set instead of the Atmos logo a large appears saying "enable Atmos for best quality". This message then repeats each time instead of the Atmos logo, in the same place the Armos logo would appear. I've check it out and it isn't possible to disable notifications completely. 

I've also tried 3 different hdmi cables including a brand new ugreen 2.1 one and the issue persists. Even weirder it stopped doing it for a whole play through of Cabin in the Woods remux. When it came to the end I replayed it and the Atmos issue started again. I checked before and after play as I've been so anal about settings and nothing altered on the network or TV so I'm baffled why this happened. I think it is the Shield element of the network chain where the issue lies. I'm aware this is an Emby forum but the issue persists in Plex too. In Kodi and MrMMC there isn't an issue but I believe this is because whatever player Kodi and MrMMC use doesn't identify the audio stream as TrueHD, I confirmed this in the settings when playing TrueHD on those two applications. 

3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Interesting - presumably you aren't watching on the Game profile (I hope..) but this pools the HDMI ports peroidically so maybe it's glitching the Shield HDMI connection?   Good possibility @speechles

re files - here is a good source.

https://thedigitaltheater.com/dolby-trailers/

Okay so on one of those clips 'Nature's fury' the same issue occurs! Not only does it show the logo but the sound actually briefly cuts out. I have a feeling it could be the 'HDMI passthrough' option on Plex, but with that off it doesn't okay some of my content and doesn't actually recognise Atmos. I then tried the clip on the Plex app on WebOS on the LG CX (so no Shield included) and it doesn't recognise Atmos - and the logo doesn't display. Which seems odd to me. 

So I guess it does appear to be the Shield and the HDMI pass through options of Emby (and Plex). Any ideas what passthrough should be set to on the Shield? I'm just going Shield to TV via HDMI. Looking at the details when I take Passthrough OFF, it says audio is transcoding and is not supported by the device - is this referring to my Shield or the TV?

I should probably also ask, should Emby, or indeed the TV, recognise TrueHD as Atmos? 

Edited by Lazyace

I can't seem to find the passthrough settings in Emby? I've checked again and it's 100% the passthrough settings causing the issue! using Kodi I can mess with various settings and get TrueHD to play and be recognised properly without the prompt constantly appearing. In Emby I cannot find any passthrough settings, can anyone point me in the right direction?

17 hours ago, Lazyace said:

I can't seem to find the passthrough settings in Emby? I've checked again and it's 100% the passthrough settings causing the issue! using Kodi I can mess with various settings and get TrueHD to play and be recognised properly without the prompt constantly appearing. In Emby I cannot find any passthrough settings, can anyone point me in the right direction?

This is controlled in the device's audio settings and then the app reacts to that.

11 minutes ago, ebr said:

This is controlled in the device's audio settings and then the app reacts to that.

Okay. On Kodi, it is still controlled in the Shield's audio settings but I can change it independently to make everything work correctly. Similarly in Plex (while I don't have as much control) I can turn it off or on independently of what the Shield is doing. Is there no such option in Emby for Shield? 

26 minutes ago, Lazyace said:

Okay. On Kodi, it is still controlled in the Shield's audio settings but I can change it independently to make everything work correctly. Similarly in Plex (while I don't have as much control) I can turn it off or on independently of what the Shield is doing. Is there no such option in Emby for Shield? 

Not at this time, no because, more times than not, that just let's users get themselves in bad situations :) that then we have to spend time troubleshooting.  We rely on what the device is telling us.

2 hours ago, ebr said:

Not at this time, no because, more times than not, that just let's users get themselves in bad situations :) that then we have to spend time troubleshooting.  We rely on what the device is telling us.

No probs. Thanks for the update. I'll cancel my Premiere sub as don't think it's for me at the mo. Would be back though as appreciate the support in the forum. Thanks all. See you around Cheers :)