Hevc Main direct play on client

Jason'sEmby

Jason'sEmby

Hi why would a hevc main 720p TV show direct play on Plex but not on Emby via the same Roku device? Without transcoding enabled it won't even play at all on emby. 

2 hours ago, Jason'sEmby said:

Without transcoding enabled it won't even play at all on emby

We need to look at an example but it may not really be direct playing in the other guys either.

Do you have a sample you can share with me on DropBox, GoogleDrive, or similar?

What does the stats for nerds within the Roku app indicate is the reason for transcoding? Was it the bitrate?

The difference will be shown on the stats for nerds. It might be that the audio codec was unsupported, there were subtitles/captions enabled that needed to be handled via HLS, or some other reason. I guarantee you if the other guys can direct play it so can we. There is some other factor causing this that should be revealed by the stats for nerds transcoding reason.

Edited by speechles

Jason'sEmby

Good morning guys. Here's some images of the file. I disabled transcoding so it wouldn't play at all. If I enable transcoding then it will play but I can't do that because then my live TV buffers and live TV is more important to me:). Eventually, hopefully we can separate live TV and movies / TV shows on two separate graphics cards as that was my game plan originally switching back. But back to the topic LOL, sorry I get sidetracked. When enabling transcoding it will work. On Plex with transcoding disabled as well it will play with no problem. Same device, same connection, same location. Might be something I just don't understand how to set up.

Screenshot_20210122-091231_Emby.jpg

Screenshot_20210122-091247_Emby.jpg

Screenshot_20210122-091253_Emby.jpg

What does the Roku stats for nerds say the reason for transcoding that file is?

I KNOW what it is.

It is those ASS subtitles and you've turned on the option to burn these into the video inside the Emby Roku app settings? Is that it? :)

Those ASS subtitles are marked as default so will most certainly turn themselves on automagically.

Edited by speechles

Jason'sEmby
2 minutes ago, speechles said:

What does the Roku stats for nerds say the reason for transcoding that file is?

I KNOW what it is.

It is those ASS subtitles and you've turned on the option to burn these into the video inside the Emby Roku app settings? Is that it? :)

Checking, if I can find my Roku remote for my test device LOL

Edited by Jason'sEmby

1 minute ago, Jason'sEmby said:

Checking

I love detective work. I have no doubt that we shall get to the bottom of this, Mr. Watson.

Edited by speechles
  • Haha 1

Jason'sEmby
12 minutes ago, speechles said:

I love detective work. I have no doubt that we shall get to the bottom of this, Mr. Watson.

😆, found my remote,  that's the burning SSA subtitles that should be no correct? That's what it's up to now. On my test device it plays fine, but on his Roku TV it does not (remotely). I'll check his settings when I get there. 

The only other thing I can think of, which I don't know if it has anything to do with it is, his TV is not 4K(newer)mine is?

Edited by Jason'sEmby

Yes. You only enable that for ANIME to get the subbers exact look they wanted for that film. They may use colors, fonts, weird angles on text, etc. But each subbing group has their own talents. Those talents can only be shown when burning in the ASS/SSA subtitles.

When this is NO those ASS/SSA subtitles will be run through the munger. The munger strips everything out that is not text. But this also means it can destroy all the text and you see nothing at all. It tries to just strip tags and attributes but it does get aggressive. It might strip all the text and you see no subtitles at all. At those times burning them in with the option is the only way to even see the subtitles.

Those are really the only 2 reasons to ever enable that option. For anime and when the subtitles do not show due to the aggressive munger Roku uses.

Edited by speechles
  • Thanks 1

Jason'sEmby

I should have an update this evening. Just waiting for him to get home, he's getting ready for a military leave and had a couple errands to run today. 

Jason'sEmby

Okay I think everything is fine now. We checked all the settings. They look fine so I went ahead and had him unplug the roku TV and I rebooted the server. After that he reopened the show and it said content unavailable, or something to that effect, but then it played with the subtitles. So it seems to be working fine now. It's reason for transcode if enabled (same thing with live TV) is exceeds maximum bitrate. That's why I disabled transcoding and everything plays fine, generally 😂.  Thank you guys for your help. Now I know about the subtitles for the future.

@Jason'sEmby Glad it finally works as it should. Disallow transcoding will have other detriment like subtitles cannot be extracted and side-streamed externally when you force direct playing. The Roku app works much better when you allow it to transcode and use the stats-for-nerds to see why it transcodes. This is so you can be your own detective. The best detective is the one who has their hands closest to the metal. You are your best detective. I am glad you solved the case. Any other issues, nags, or concerns you have with the Roku app please let us know. Thanks. ;)

Edited by speechles

Jason'sEmby

@speechles

Thank you! Yes my plan is to re-enable transcoding as soon as I'm able to separate the live TV from movies, just don't want my live TV buffering. I know it's been an ongoing issue, I thought having two graphics cards would fix the issue. But under advanced transcoding it doesn't work exactly the way I thought it would. Maybe one day. Have a great Sunday!!