Before Emby....

David Patt

Spaceboy
14 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

There is quite an old phrase which seems to be forgotten sometimes (including by me) - you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

right but the prelude to that saying is that in theory you can please all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

But not with things like combining "Next up" and "Continue watching." They are slowly but surely moving to make it more "Your media Emby's way. 

Do you think it is fair to convict us while the trial is still in a preliminary hearing?

Gilgamesh_48
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Do you think it is fair to convict us while the trial is still in a preliminary hearing?

Fair? Probably not! But since when is "fairness" expected on the internet.

It could be considered that right now I have nothing but the "preliminary trial" to judge on and so far that trial looks REAL bad. I however have not made any judgements based on promises and speculations and, so far, even what is promised looks bad. You are solving a problem that did not exist and you are scrambling to justify the choice to combine two well working lists into a jumble of a single list. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

You are solving a problem that did not exist

It may not have existed for you, but it did for others.  Unfortunately, not everyone voices their opinion when they are pleased but there are even several posts in the forums stating that they did not like the separation and are now happy it is gone.

CBers
9 minutes ago, ebr said:

It may not have existed for you, but it did for others.  Unfortunately, not everyone voices their opinion when they are pleased but there are even several posts in the forums stating that they did not like the separation and are now happy it is gone.

Where are these "several" posts and what about the people that are unhappy that it is gone? 

There are 25 pages containing posts from people that don't like it. 

I think your 80/20 rule has become the 20/80 rule. 

Don't introduce changes without having options already in place. 

Thanks. 

1 minute ago, CBers said:

There are 25 pages containing posts from people that don't like it.

With most of those posts by the same people saying the same thing over and over...

But, please do not continue to derail this discussion with that one.

CBers
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

With most of those posts by the same people saying the same thing over and over...

But, please do not continue to derail this discussion with that one.

And still you take no notice!!

OK, back on topic now. 

Thanks. 

pwhodges

Before I had Emby, I watched videos either by clicking on them in Windows Explorer or downloaded to an iPhone or iPod using iTunes, or on an Android pad using MX Player Pro.  I listened to music either the same way (using playlists in VLC) or when on the move using an old iriver H340 (upgraded from 40GB to 240GB disk) portable player running Rockbox (because the stock firmware supported neither the size of my library nor the largest disk I ended up with) with a customised playing screen.

Emby has enabled me to stop being reliant on the memory size of my devices (thus saving me spending the extra cost of getting the largest memories), or having to prepare for watching by copying things around.

I first came across Emby as a plug-in for FreeNAS which seemed easier to use than the Plex one also offered.  It quickly became apparent that my FreeNAS hardware was not up to the job anyway, so I built a new computer just for streaming.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
Cyberbob2021

New Member here,  First post 

Firstly thank you to the creators of EMBY, in my view the only way to go for me now.  Its like having your own Netflix in your living room but better. Wife said that not me. 

I've been into media as a hobby for a very very long time, & I think it was around 2003 i started playing with my first HTPC media players.  could have been before that though, as i was into my avi's going way back to windows 95. xvid dvix ect ect

I really cant remember the years of what when how, but used something called media portal for a while, & Windows media centre edition, there was another i think it was early mame type thing xmb, been too many years,  anyway, i ended up with MCE for years i mean years, i just left it,  it was wife friendly and just worked, it must have been 2011 it failed. lucky never lost the media drives,  so with a break and usb media players used for a few years, around 2014 picked up a couple of 3TB nas drives, and just used it as a DLNA server as the tv supported it no bells and whistles but worked, i have tried kodi on a firestick, which worked fine tbh, then something changed messed everything up & i was like i aint setting that all up again to much effort, anyway i liked it as a media player. that must have been 2017, 2018 just used tv media player, and playing our stuff has become very stale now, so 2019 picked up a Roku plus stick, was very impressed, used there media player with all my mp4 tagged files with embedded artwork, started to feel the HTC love again, 2020, lockdowns here, now the media is really being checked and worked, something we have not down since the early years,  ps i spent 2 months converting naming id tags tidying my rather messy collection. to work with the Roku media player,  and although it works well its bland. so I started the search. nope cant use this on Roku cant use that on Roku, so it turned out basically I had 2 choices, Plex or emby, so i went reading, plex plex plex was shouted, so I gave it a go, honestly within an hour i had had enough.  right lets look at emby, OMG set server up, pointed to media & off it went, i left it for the night come back in the morning, set up the Roku app, signed into the server, & the shock i could not believe it had sorted 95% of collection few faults, but easy to figure out why, couple named wrong and 2 series in a folder, anyway. how impressed was I, should i say we, phoned my lad up said you seen this, he is a smitten as me.  anyway what a great little system it is, im early days tbh & at the using it stage now.  with such a user friendly GUI & fantastic backgrounds and cast all there, it looked amazing with very littler effort, now tying to get head round it all in a bit more depth now, where's this how's that, and yet to rollout to the other TVs in the home. looking forward to that part.  Now just to make sure when i upgrade my NAS i get a emby friendly one :) oh and its working in tandem with my Roku media player so while testing setting up can still carry on as normal.  what a fantastic little set up it is. 

EMBY "its wife friendly (Happy wife happy life)" :)

EMBY "out of the box is something else" 

EMBY "Brings your media to life"

EMBY " It's Like Having your very own Netflix server" 

Hello Jake if you read this :) hope yours is going well too 

DISCLAIMER I OWN ALL MY OWN MEDIA ON DVD AND BLURAY. hence I have an extensive library.  

149019712_254228396156288_3261538607752285277_n.jpg

151106185_250095703256053_7119287048639199663_n.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Cyberbob2021 said:

New Member here,  First post 

Firstly thank you to the creators of EMBY, in my view the only way to go for me now.  Its like having your own Netflix in your living room but better. Wife said that not me. 

I've been into media as a hobby for a very very long time, & I think it was around 2003 i started playing with my first HTPC media players.  could have been before that though, as i was into my avi's going way back to windows 95. xvid dvix ect ect

I really cant remember the years of what when how, but used something called media portal for a while, & Windows media centre edition, there was another i think it was early mame type thing xmb, been too many years,  anyway, i ended up with MCE for years i mean years, i just left it,  it was wife friendly and just worked, it must have been 2011 it failed. lucky never lost the media drives,  so with a break and usb media players used for a few years, around 2014 picked up a couple of 3TB nas drives, and just used it as a DLNA server as the tv supported it no bells and whistles but worked, i have tried kodi on a firestick, which worked fine tbh, then something changed messed everything up & i was like i aint setting that all up again to much effort, anyway i liked it as a media player. that must have been 2017, 2018 just used tv media player, and playing our stuff has become very stale now, so 2019 picked up a Roku plus stick, was very impressed, used there media player with all my mp4 tagged files with embedded artwork, started to feel the HTC love again, 2020, lockdowns here, now the media is really being checked and worked, something we have not down since the early years,  ps i spent 2 months converting naming id tags tidying my rather messy collection. to work with the Roku media player,  and although it works well its bland. so I started the search. nope cant use this on Roku cant use that on Roku, so it turned out basically I had 2 choices, Plex or emby, so i went reading, plex plex plex was shouted, so I gave it a go, honestly within an hour i had had enough.  right lets look at emby, OMG set server up, pointed to media & off it went, i left it for the night come back in the morning, set up the Roku app, signed into the server, & the shock i could not believe it had sorted 95% of collection few faults, but easy to figure out why, couple named wrong and 2 series in a folder, anyway. how impressed was I, should i say we, phoned my lad up said you seen this, he is a smitten as me.  anyway what a great little system it is, im early days tbh & at the using it stage now.  with such a user friendly GUI & fantastic backgrounds and cast all there, it looked amazing with very littler effort, now tying to get head round it all in a bit more depth now, where's this how's that, and yet to rollout to the other TVs in the home. looking forward to that part.  Now just to make sure when i upgrade my NAS i get a emby friendly one :) oh and its working in tandem with my Roku media player so while testing setting up can still carry on as normal.  what a fantastic little set up it is. 

EMBY "its wife friendly (Happy wife happy life)" :)

EMBY "out of the box is something else" 

EMBY "Brings your media to life"

EMBY " It's Like Having your very own Netflix server" 

Hello Jake if you read this :) hope yours is going well too 

DISCLAIMER I OWN ALL MY OWN MEDIA ON DVD AND BLURAY. hence I have an extensive library.  

149019712_254228396156288_3261538607752285277_n.jpg

151106185_250095703256053_7119287048639199663_n.jpg

Hi, welcome and thanks for the feedback !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
CharleyVarrick

To answer the OP question (what I used before Emby).

2000 Windows file explorer, it worked but what a sad and barren interface for media. Not having just yet a dedicated htpc, I had to burn files onto dvd, to pop into dvd players.

2003 I then bought a premium ($$) media organizer/collector program (Movie CollectorZ, or something like that).

2005 I switched to PLEX and it was love hate relationship (mostly hate)

2007 switched to XBMC, but I had to run 2 instances of it, and never managed to "sync" them

2014 Fed up with the constraints of XBMC, now Kodi (as a stand alone app), I discovered Emby, and was blown away with the ease of server clients configuration

2015 to this day, Emby remains the back-end, and I use embyweb for managing my collection, and use Emby for Kodi 99% for viewing media.

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick
On 1/28/2021 at 7:14 PM, arrbee99 said:

There is quite an old phrase which seems to be forgotten sometimes (including by me) - you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

The local variant being "You can't please everyone and your mom"

• Like 2

CharleyVarrick

By the way, this thread is REALLY fun to read, all those older names that come back to mind.

Anyone venture a guess when we'll have holographic screens ( a la Matrix) ?

Edited by jlr19

Gilgamesh_48
1 hour ago, jlr19 said:

Anyone venture a guess when we'll have holographic screens ( a la Matrix) ?

Well all forms of 3D that have been tried have basically failed, they died without even a whimper. Because of those numerous failures I believe that holographic displays are also going to fail. We may, eventually, have screens that have "depth" but they will not be "holographic."

I think the problem is, and will continue to be, viewability. No holographic system I have seen, or seen reasonably postulated, has even close to decent quality. Right now holographic displays are at about the same point relative to where it needs to be as television was in 1930. (TV pretty much began in 1926)

There is also the issue of available content. I do not think there is any holographic content and no one is showing much interest. It would be a huge endeavor with great expense and ultimately not worth the effort. 

One has to remember that the current markets for new formats are not like it was for TV. There is already a huge market for TV/movie content and holographic systems would require new hardware and it is doubtful the the content for "Holovision" could be backward compatible. So new expensive content would start, and remain for a period of time, being produced for a very limited market.

I have joked about it before but I would expect TV beamed/connected directly to the optic and auditory nerves thereby dispensing with the cumbersome display totally would be more likely than Holovision.

Well that was more than I intended to say when I started, sorry.

CharleyVarrick
2 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

There is already a huge market for TV/movie content and holographic systems would require new hardware and it is doubtful the the content for "Holovision" could be backward compatible. So new expensive content would start, and remain for a period of time, being produced for a very limited market.

When progress is not backward compatible, I tend to call it out as botched (rushed-by-marketing-dept.) kinda progress.

Gilgamesh_48
17 minutes ago, jlr19 said:

When progress is not backward compatible, I tend to call it out as botched (rushed-by-marketing-dept.) kinda progress.

The problem with that thinking is it, sometimes, means that progress gets stymied. Often it is necessary, if the new technology/device/idea is important or innovative enough, to junk the idea of backwards compatibility. 

And I was saying that "Holovision" falls short of being really "important" or "innovative" to any real extent.

But, as I also mentioned, something like "Brainstorm" could happen and THAT would not need backward compatibility particularly as said/implied in the movie,  in the adult market.

But anything can be sold, as you implied, by a good marketing team. Think recent politics...

CharleyVarrick
2 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

But, as I also mentioned, something like "Brainstorm" could happen and THAT would not need backward compatibility particularly as said/implied in the movie,  in the adult market.

I LOOOVED that movie.

I could have nuanced my botched progress statement, as indeed its obviously not always the case. 

I guess what drives me nut is the endless nonsense cycle of buying the latest and greatest, and a year later (often less) its "obsolete" so all the little lambs line up at the store at 4am to buy v.148.

From a company's marketing dept, its a dream come true. "Hey, we don't even need to build this to last, they'll all come back next week for the next new and improved"

• 3 weeks later...
mrfragger

I tried to buy a Panasonic (I think it was) 400 music disc changer for $800 back in 1995 I believe. Wife wouldn’t let me. 

I gave my Sony 200 disc to my mom, when I started ripping CD's...

Somewhere.. in Junior High school I was listening to tapes.. I remember popping in 8-tracks.. into the dash of a vehicle when I was really little... RECORDS.. OMG... never die.. even now Vinyl Rips.. There s a lot of stuff to fill in as far as media progression...

BUT.. before Emby I have tried a lot of things.. even before we used cloud storage I was writing my own website, using several backend types and services.. This part is media related... but also had to do with being portable without toting around a laptop and heavy equipment.. Days of Windows XP... I had started ( and lost on multiple ocassions ) an archive. I had many types of files and resources that I need to be able to take a USB stick with me and use apps on a pre-existing system... At this time, no services existed out there for this sort of thing..

I started with Apache HTTP Server.... using it in several ways and tricking it out to have several types of access... I ran my own online radio station as well for personal use... There was a small server I found which was tiny and allowed you to transcode/stream selected media... I had integrated the use of Plone, a CMS... of course for my own blog and webdav/ftp which throughout these were working off of the same archive/shares/drives.. wrote in access to all of my drives.. Integrated the use of a Samurize server to monitor my hardware usage.. chat server.. forum... live security feed.. you get the picture.. I went all out... I wanted to go anywhere and access my stuff even with RDP involved.. if need be.

A section or portion of that old site....

03_17.2021_081622.jpg.82dcd6ce91766a662ab9e67c7e0e7ee5.jpg

Eventually cloud services begin to emerge,  and my own personal server wasn't really needed anymore as well as exposing these things to the outside world. I used streaming services in their infancy, still wasn't as portable as I wanted and still required a computer or laptop.. Phones changed and destroyed the portable media player.. some of which had wifi capability. I went with hooking computers up to TV's ( Still am that guy ) before I would ever use an App.. or Wifi TV. 

My phone became a Powerhouse.. I love it.. I have had two phones in the last decade or so both Windows... with them all of this stuff came together.. BTW.. several Windows Tablets.. and I eventually went from Data Discs.. USB's... to External Drives.. to an NAS... ( which is its very own Cloud Server ) through the course of time and have had an NAS for the past ten years I think...

I had tried media servers over the test of time but they were glitchy and you still had to plug-in other aspects to get them to work right or used a ton of resources to work.. One right after another were uninstalled after trying them and went with a purist approach.. being my devices had the function built in and they synced across them all..

I used XBox Music.. Groove ( Never left Winamp behind either ).. and K-Lite Codec Pack w/MPC-HC... ( again another long list of programs lead me to these choices ) I tried and had to use for rentals the Movies & TV app.. Still I had an archive I had been working on and researching/trying to find.. through all of these things going on from around the turn of the century until now... I had been many places with how to handle the data and I used to throw a lot of it away.. as resources were not available ( storage ).. so many changes in files/data/media

Copyright wars.. legalities in other countries.. EVERYTHING during this time period has taught me a lot...

I had tried Emby in the past but really seen no real need for it. Sharing with others in the place I lived was not really needed nor did they have or want any capability.

I ran into some issues with file access times and listing of my files on a Linux-based NAS.. which I fixed but it removed some capabilities. I actually a 'large icon' view of my movies and selected what I wanted to watch right from windows explorer... right-click Media Info for description.. and YES.. still !@#$%^& using Winamp.. 😜 fastest gun out there.. Three days to load my music archive into Groove... at the time that I did it.. Two- three minutes to load everything I had into a playlist.. about three hours to build it (database) and import it into the Media Library... It just functions like I need it to..

SO... once I started polishing off my archive with new found time on my hands.. ( I always said I needed to get it done but really was always working or trying to recover from working.. )  I started thinking about Emby again... and trying mainly to find any informative and intuitive way to view and use my videos mainly... and music IF...

Installed it last year and have been playing with it ever since.. finding things to trick it out.. and understanding the best way of and how I want it.. using the the WebUI for my own personal access. It makes sense of all of the data.. easy to make an informed decision on a movie, presents it well.. and has WORKING methods that allow it to be compatible cross platform.. and streams when needed. Became the only choice for appearance, options, and usability... by itself.

I am using the free version as it is only me.

Before Emby ...this wasn't a 'life story'... and can you believe I left a ton of stuff out you guys don't know about.. 🤣

A lot of things have went on in the media world since I have been around... Emby is today's status...

1 hour ago, mrfragger said:

I tried to buy a Panasonic (I think it was) 400 music disc changer for $800 back in 1995 I believe. Wife wouldn’t let me. 

I bet it was more like $1500...

mrfragger

Yeah pretty sure it was $800 (80,000 yen) in Japan. Remember in 1997 when we returned to America bought a DVD player for $300. I believe either 1995 or 1996 Japanese otakus were snatching up DVD players for $700. Most Americans waited till they dropped down to $200. Mini DV camcorder I bought in Japan in 1995 was $2,200 I thought was future proof forever. I’m was an idiot and come to think of it still am. 

Some tech gets us... Plasma TV.. $10,000US when they were new.. store I worked in bought 2 of these for displaying media.. Price dropped in six months...

Replaced by the led thats WAY cheaper.. but plasma screens died.. kicking and screaming...

Pays to be smart sometimes... and stay in the loop new tech can have there considerations hidden as far as development is concerned.