Before Emby....

David Patt

David Patt

Hello , i use Emby short time (like half year or so). Before that i dont really like HTPC software like Kodi or Plex. I try it use it but there was always something that dont feel right. I try Emby too. It was sluggish, slow as hell so i denied all of that types of software. Then i found out Eazy Flix Pix. Great software, cheap , great support. It has its bugs but i can live with them. It has many functions i miss a little at Emby now. But everything good must end. Author of software ended its support , shutdown validation server so when my SSD disk crash and i install it again it just dont actived. And i was stuck with trial version. Few month i search alternative then one day i try Emby again. It was good. I was little baffled i cant play my own videos from local storage and was thinking about Jellyfin instead. But after few unsuccesfull atempts i decide try out Emby more. I install Android TV app and after week i decide to buy lifetime premiere key.  Now after half of year i am glad i did it. Great support, very patient admins , i even reccomend Emby to my friends. 

I was first scared what if it end same as previous software and i will be lockout again but Emby has few years and more people to develop it so i just hope that if that case somehow in future happen devs will push last update which open Emby forever without internet validation. 

And so what do you use before Emby ? And your satisfaction ?

• Like 1

Hi.  Glad it is working out for you and welcome back!

Before Emby, I used MediaBrowser 😁 and before that (in like 2007) I had a 300 disc DVD changer.

• Haha 1

SHSPVR

Then i found out Eazy Flix Pix. Great software, cheap , great support

Really when it to bad it DOA and no long being support and can't even buy a key for it.

Edited by SHSPVR

Gilgamesh_48

Before Emby I used a simple browser for a while then I used an app called "Roksbox" that require an Apache server. Then I moved to an app called "Chaneru"  these were all for players on the Roku platform only. Later I moved to trying both "Plex" and "MediaBrowser" I pretty much stuck with "Plex" because at the time it was the more full featured and more stable application.

Plex then started behaving like "Media Nazis" so I moved to "Emby" because of the support and the developers that actually seemed to interact and listen to their users.

Now "Emby" is appearing to move toward being "Media Nazis" like Plex and I may have to look for something else. However I have no idea where I could move as the alternatives do not look at all promising. And NO "JellyFin" is not a viable alternative as when I have tried it I spent more time maintaining it than I did watching media.

• Like 3

TeamB
3 hours ago, SHSPVR said:

Really when it DOA and no long being support and can't even buy a key for it

Did you read the post? That is what he said, he was using it and then it went end of life.

Gilgamesh_48
5 hours ago, ebr said:

Before Emby, I used MediaBrowser 😁 and before that (in like 2007) I had a 300 disc DVD changer.

Was your DVD player a Sony? At the time I bought mine many many many years ago (I forgot to mention that in my older post) Sony was the only offering under several thousand dollars and the Sony, as I remember, was around $300.00. It worked great (and still works although I have not actually used it for years) but it was/is clumsy and disk labeling was/is problematic at best.

As soon as I discovered that I could play from a network drive I began ripping all my DVDs and once I got them ripped I do not think I have used that player at all.

SHSPVR
1 hour ago, TeamB said:

Did you read the post? That is what he said, he was using it and then it went end of life.

I update it my error

• Like 1

adamstewiegreen

Before Emby I had a Boxee box.  Went in a (somewhat) similar direction.  It got bought and absorbed into Samsung, support ended immediately and I heard that Samsung fired everyone about a year later.

It was a great product for the time.

clarkss12

Yup, still have my Boxee Box, but it has to phone home, but the occupants moved out years ago.......

TeamB

In 2002 I wrote my own media manager software to view my ripped DVD collection and my svcd recorded TV collection. It used vlc as the player and I connected my pc to my 32 Inc 16:9 CRT Sony via s-video. I had about 50 titles in my collection.

In about 2004 the first media software I used was Meedio, it was bought out by yahoo and within the year was not supported and the site and forums were shut down, thus was about 2005/6 I think. I had about 200 in my collection, just movies, not much TV at the time.

I switched to XBMC in about 2009, still only had one client playback device and my collection was about 300 movies but now I started to collect TV shows as well, mostly ripped box sets. This setup lasted me a long time.

I tried out a bunch of clients and media server software and even wrote some myself over the next few years. I used plex for a while and some other open source servers. I tried xbmc/kodi in the shared dB setup but that had issues. I eventually tried emby a few years back and wrote some plugins and addons for kodi and that is what I have been using since.

seanbuff

2007 - MyMovies + myTV (little known MCML app for TV Series only)
2009 - Video Browser for MCE (the original Media Browser)
2010 - Media Browser
2015 - Emby

wow where has the time gone? 😄

Gilgamesh_48
7 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

wow where has the time gone? 😄

Depending on your frame of reference it has gone everywhere or it has gone nowhere or it has never changed but our access to it has just moved. 

Actually I do know the correct answer but I cannot tell you because it would create a paradox and it would violate the "Temporal Prime Directive."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

arrbee99

VHS, DVD, Bluray, 4K. We had Harry Potter in every one of those formats. Tried something called Mezzmo, then MediaPortal, then Emby just as it was moving to the central server model (I think).

Used to have a bluray changer as well, think it called My Right Arm.

Gilgamesh_48
7 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

VHS, DVD, Bluray, 4K. We had Harry Potter in every one of those formats. Tried something called Mezzmo, then MediaPortal, then Emby just as it was moving to the central server model (I think).

Used to have a bluray changer as well, think it called My Right Arm.

5 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

I always though TPD stood for Toilet Paper Dispenser. Oh well, you learn something new...

I almost forgot about my VHS library and VHS player array I had before I got my DVD changer. In fact I once had a a BetaMax and I remember the beginnings of home video tape players. I even once had a real to real video tape player/recorder and used a camera to capture videos off a TV screen. Recording a TV show was "interesting" with that device. I even clearly remember the fist color TVs with the huge round tube. Even small color TVs had huge tubes. One of our neighbors had a 15 inch TV that was almost 2 1/2 feet long. 

In the last 60 or so years all segments of video recording and replay have come a VERY long way but I am still waiting for the direct neural interface so that videos can be directly downloaded into the brain.

So you see in my frame of reference I have successfully, so far, traveled 70+ years into my future hence my concern about telling too much.

vdatanet

When I was a child, at late 70s, I got my father to buy me a video recorder to record live tv:

Video Recorder 241 Color VR241 Sonido-V ITT Schaub-Lorenz (radiomuseum.org)

It was one of the first to arrive in my area and my friends could not believe that I was watching something on the television that was not broadcasting, they said that I was lying, until they could see it at my house. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then. 

Then came Betamax, VHS, DVD and Bluray. In the basement I still have a pile of betamax tapes, vhs and dvd jars.

I started storing digital media on a Popcorn hour A-100. It quickly became too small for me and I ventured out with a Synology NAS with Plex pre-installed. I finally made the leap to using a more powerful dedicated server and looking for alternatives to Plex, I discovered Emby and here I am.

• Like 2

kanipek
On 1/21/2021 at 9:58 AM, ebr said:

...and before that (in like 2007) I had a 300 disc DVD changer.

I have one of those collecting dust in the closet....🤨

jachin99

Everything but plex pretty much.  My favorite has always been and still is wmc but I understood the benefits of moving on so now I use emby and kodi clients.  My favorite thing about my emby and kodi combo is that I rarely have to fix things.  If I ever get back on a kick where I want to you around with computers again I'll get to spend my time learning about something with a future instead of fixing things.  I learned A TON about wmc over a few years and it feels like it's all a big waste.  I'm not doing that again

• Like 1

I used to watch everything the old way by manually putting my DVDs on the player, until i found a strange menu on my Xbox 360 that said "Media Center" by digging in that feature i discover an entire new world of personal media managers. So i started to use WMC with the Xbox 360 as an extender, then i found Media Browser plugin, after that i followed the path from MB to Emby.

I'm like many of you...transcended the time of only 3 network OTA channels back in the late 60s and 70s to today. I went through the Betamax/VHS wars, then the DVD/HDDVD/BluRay wars and now to hard drive based and streaming media today.  I too was an avid WMC7 user during its time.  Which is how I ended up on Emby.  I fell into WMC after having tried BeyondTV, SageTV, MediaPortal and many other 10ftUIs. The quest started after all that I wanted to do was replace my NTSC hard drive DVR with an ATSC one. Hardly anyone was making an ATSC DVR at first except for TiVO, DirecTV and the cablecos.  I wanted to ween off of pay TV and just go OTA.  I had already been through the pocket gouging bundles of both cable and satellite (and then TiVO wanted you to pay for their service on top of that).  I just wanted something that would record OTA ATSC signals with minimal fuss and a remote control.  It eventually came down to WMC (at the time on XP and Vista).

Then finally the cable gods opened up the OCUR standard and let us get cable card for the masses.  It was finally enough to convince me to sign back up for a cable package/bundle.  So by way of WMC7 and all of that forever seeking the best eye-candy experience we could get I went through MyMovies and settled on Media Browser.  Media Browser became Emby and moved to the server/client model.

Then 3 years ago we physically moved (sold our house).  The new digs did not have service for cable TV and for once I was glad to tell the cable TV company to get lost.  Here in the sticks we can only get DirecTV, OTA and 25mbit 2-wire AT&T broadband.  I'd already lost the taste in my mouth for DirecTV/Dish so I signed up for streaming service (AT&T TV Now, YouTube TV trial previously).

So with Emby to take care of all of my owned media (personal and commercial) and streaming accounts with AT&T TV, Netflix and Disney+, an HDHomeRun OTA, A Channels DVR account to get my streaming channels into Emby and Android TV boxes and Rokus throughout the house, I think I'm pretty much set for the foreseeable future.

At least until something NEW comes along, of course (haha)

• Like 2

justinrh
On 1/21/2021 at 11:34 AM, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Now "Emby" is appearing to move toward being "Media Nazis" like Plex

How you mean?  Can you elaborate?

Gilgamesh_48
1 minute ago, justinrh said:

How you mean?  Can you elaborate?

Emby used to be "Your media your way." But not with things like combining "Next up" and "Continue watching." They are slowly but surely moving to make it more "Your media Emby's way. 

They still have a long long way to go to be true "Media Nazis" but the more often they move in the direction of "less choice" the closer they get to becoming just like Plex. A "worthy" goal they seem to have set for themselves.

Of course they are way better than Plex most ways but several recent movements has just a bit closed the gap. A gap that I believe they should be striving to widen.

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Emby used to be "Your media your way." But not with things like combining "Next up" and "Continue watching." They are slowly but surely moving to make it more "Your media Emby's way. 

They still have a long long way to go to be true "Media Nazis" but the more often they move in the direction of "less choice" the closer they get to becoming just like Plex. A "worthy" goal they seem to have set for themselves.

Of course they are way better than Plex most ways but several recent movements has just a bit closed the gap. A gap that I believe they should be striving to widen.

Just a reminder: 

arrbee99

There is quite an old phrase which seems to be forgotten sometimes (including by me) - you cannot please all of the people all of the time.