DLNA playback from Onkyo TX RZ-820 inconsistent

bls_fanatic

bls_fanatic

Hi guys,

I have been experiencing intermittent problems with DLNA playback of my Emby library in the last few months.  I cannot pinpoint exactly when the problems started but I can say that over the summer when I relied heavily on this feature to play music outside in my backyard I had no issue.

I have an Onkyo TX-RZ820 (faily recent bought in early 2020) that I control through the Android App Onkyo Controller.  I have the Net option and within that the Music Server option that uses DLNA.  My Emby server v4.5.4.0 is configured with DLNA enabled, DLNA logging, Blast messages, etc. (see screenshot).

The problem is I will go in the Music Server and will see my Emby library, drill down into it and start playing music without problem.  However when an album is over I will go back to queue another one and the Emby Server will no longer show, or briefly show me an error Access Denied By Server.  At that point I am unable to play anything.  Sometimes this can happen in the middle of an album of after playing multiple ones.  Restarting the Emby service does not change anything.  Unplugging the Receiver and restarting it will usually solve the issue for about a day.  Restarting my wireless router can also fix the issue for about a day.

Troubleshooting this problem I have updated my Orbi RBR50 wireless router to the latest firmware, my receiver to the latest firmware, played with pretty much every setting in the router but without finding the root cause.  UPNP is enabled in the router.

I am attaching logs from yesterday.  There are a lot of PortMapper errors that seem to be related to UPNP but I don't know what to make of them.

In the 1st log embyserver-63746674304.txt you can follow my session:

2021-01-19 16:29:58.062 I turned on my receiver 192.168.0.106 and browsed Emby library and started playing music

2021-01-19 17:24:41.319 Playback stops.  The album is finished.  At that time I try to go in the app to queue another one but received Access denied by server and eventually trying to go back to the Music Server shows No server available

2021-01-19 17:31:33.357 I use my phone 192.168.0.109 to log in to Emby and restart the service

In the 2nd log embyserver-63746697601.txt (after service restart)

2021-01-19 17:39:50.319 I am trying to get to the library from my receiver but receives No Server available

Can anyone get anything from the logs that could explain the issue?

Thanks

DLNAOptions.JPG

embyserver-63746674304.txt embyserver-63746697601.txt

bls_fanatic
10 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, where do you see access denied?

Hello Luke,

Thanks for taking a look.  I see this error in the Onkyo Controller App on my Android phone.  This is where I browse my Emby library using DLNA and queue the music.  After the music stops, I go back in the app and hit the back button to go back up a level in the library hierarchy since I am down into Music, Album Artists, Album.  This is when I see the error Access Denied by Server.  I can try to navigate all folders and will see that error.  Until I go back up to the root level and then I will simply see No Server.  I cannot see anything related in the server log.

Thanks

Just seconding this issue. I have an Onkyo TX-NR676 and have an identical problem. It happens as well with WMP and other devices. I temporarily installed Twonky server and use that. I prefer Emby and it's organizational structure so hopefully this will resolve. Thanks to the dev team for all of the work; there are so many moving parts it must be tricky.

That's strange because I don't see that with windows media player, but we'll try to chase it down. Thanks for reporting.

• 5 weeks later...
bls_fanatic
16 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, this should be much better with Emby Server 4.6. Thanks.

Thanks for the update Luke.  I have continued testing and have new results to share.  I have brought down the blast alive message value to every minute for testing purposes.  This definitely alleviates the problem since my Onkyo amp only stops seeing the Emby server about once a week now (as opposed to once a day before).  I do not see any drawback from this even though it certainly generates more traffic.

Another point to note: whenever my Onkyo is no longer able to see the Emby server, I fire up Bubble-UPNP on my android devie (connected to the same network).  In Bubble-UPNP, I can see Emby with no problem.  On the Onkyo, Bubble-UPNP shows up right away.  As soon as I shut down Bubble-UPNP, my Onkyo can see the Emby server again.

This work around allows me to keep playing music until I can try Emby server 4.6.  I can see it is in beta now, any idea when you plan to move it to the stable channel?

Thanks