Photo thumbnail creation in one folder is incredibly slow 15000ms vs 50ms in other - need help in debugging please

bigcookie

ROBOCOPY Source_folder Destination_folder *.* /S

We are worried about copying to any specific spot, just if load times going on for the files copied.

bigcookie

Sorry - I didnt see the second page appearing, thus being late.

I had to fire up a virtual machine with Win10 on a Macbook Pro for now. Folder access via Samba. Executed your commandline. Currently running.

I would say roughly 1s for a 2MB file to be copied. As I understand, this means reading from Samba and writing to Samba including overhead. All over Wifi, same location as when using Emby - but it is not the best spot in the apartment. When moving close to the route, it is about a 7-8MB images per second, which is successfully copied.

Will post the result when done.

BUT

I noticed something, which might be an issue: Somehow my online file browser didnt show the extension so that I noticed it. The images in this folder I do get from foreign camera and some of them are HEIC images.

Could this be the issue? I am happy to share some via PM...

Edit: CPU on NAS stays at <10% during the copy process

Edited by bigcookie

bigcookie

OK, here we are. PLease note:

- robocopy cunning on a virtual machine using parallels on a macbook pro

- Folder has been connected via Samba

- Network connection was Wifi in a mid optimal spot via 5GHz (in between I moved to an optimal spot, which showed clear increase of speed)

- folder size is 4,4GB

Folder contains JPG and HEIC images (the HEIC images I overlooked prior)

Screenshot 2021-01-29 at 17.34.52.png

Edited by bigcookie

bigcookie

I removed the HEIC and CR2 images from the folder and rescanned the library and navigated to the folder to generate thumbnails - didn't make a difference for generating thumbnails.

I navigated to another folder with a big number of JPG and the thumbnails still get created fast - BUT the CPU load touches 100% on that job too, but not really blocking everything. Navigation felt still normal and as stated thumbs have been generated fast.