Backup / Restore Actors - Beta with local or web based restore.

mickle026
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

Commerzpunk

45 minutes ago, mickle026 said:

Is the stupid gray actor images thing an image or embys card?

Please take a look on the thread i linked 2 postings ago, there the the very first post on the first page.
Its exactly what happens there, and happens to a lot user, and emby itself cant repair this since ever.

So maybe you and your great plugin are a bit hijacked by this because it brings a solution in. And maybe thats why i use this plugin not as intended to use. ;)

Thank you very much for your detailed and friedly answer!

I will try this and report back.

Commerzpunk
59 minutes ago, mickle026 said:

Is the stupid gray actor images thing an image or embys card?

I cant tell you, but i can tell how it looks:

grafik.png.de98313d4f2f923b6d7869fff80fea3c.png

Can you run this from the reports tab874380355_Screenshot2022-02-10at05-57-06Emby.png.a3d0e9288f8faac20ed78d4de396b10f.png

If you cannot see reports, click the last tab and they will scroll.

Did it, report created without errors.

Also get the ID of a person that has the stupid grey card from the browser ie "/web/index.html#!/item?id=4365&"

Thats exactly what wont work, because as soon as i click a person, it will show up the persons page and the image is shown correctly.
When I then return to the movie page and reload it, this single person shows up correct too.
And this bevavior is the problem.

then from with LOGS

1735715085_Screenshot2022-02-10at05-59-47Emby.png.05326a7d88bad307cd4d31c5d23bffe3.png

you will have this file, find the ID of the Actor , and send me the image from your drive and this log with the checksum. zip it and upload it or pm it to me.

If you cannot do this the please screenshot it so at least I know what it looks like.

I can do this, if you think it will still help in this situation. As far as I understand, if I follow your procedure, it will look as if there is not problem because after clicking the person the image that I send you will be intact and OK.

Whats the next step? ;)

mickle026

OK this clarifies a lot.

The image in the post above is Emby's normal "no person" actor card.  They all have that when there is no image available.  You probably do not have any images assosiated with this person.

If you have then you need to refresh the metadata, and if your 1st provider in priority has this wrong on their website, youll have to do it manually using identify.

Therefore the movies or tv shows probably have not been automatically identified with the proper provider id's.  Do you have a lot of movies like this?

This is the image you need from the film vidocq (2001), I think this is what you must have taken the actor card from..

1974903557_Jean-PierreGos.jpg.fcbe98cdd4e48901f1caf523c396124b.jpg

My plugin is not going to find anything wrong, because nothing is.

What you have to do is either of these,

1/ Use identify and identify the movie.  TMDB's id is 9597 https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/9597-vidocq ,The reason Emby cannot do this one is because there are about 4 movies with the same name and it cannot determine which one to use.  If you have the the movie database plugin (and enabled in the library settings) and identify with that id, it will pull these images.
Other movies that he is in can be found here:
https://www.themoviedb.org/person/41206-jean-pierre-gos  you can click the image names , the identify id is in the web url. https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/9597-vidocq

514423642_Screenshot2022-02-10at12-14-35Emby.png.a2a3300e25db357e1a803fc3b24eb02b.png
321627168_Screenshot2022-02-10at12-17-01Emby.png.3d9f06535bd568ecf675d252307113c8.png
359075112_Screenshot2022-02-10at12-17-12Emby.png.ff5e49c1bb1cd8df9dcb810926ec084f.png

click it, and it will grab everything you need.

1023524115_Screenshot2022-02-10at13-23-26Emby.thumb.png.6323b77614a43c9cd54f72036742ad40.png

2/ Add these images manually.

Edited by mickle026

mickle026
9 minutes ago, TallBoiDez said:

Did you get the back up feature to work on Linux machine

I haven't had time yet to get another machine running to test the last fix I put in place (and try and trace the error), but its on the agenda.  So busy this week.  Did you check any of the latest builds? - is it still the same?

Edited by mickle026

TallBoiDez
23 minutes ago, mickle026 said:

I haven't had time yet to get another machine running to test the last fix I put in place (and try and trace the error), but its on the agenda.  So busy this week.  Did you check any of the latest builds? - is it still the same?

I have tried the one you posted yesterday, but for the most the results are the same 

mickle026

Small update on progress

I have the machine from the attic and working now, just need to install linux and emby on it.  But off to work very shortly.  No day off till Monday :(

Commerzpunk
5 hours ago, mickle026 said:

OK this clarifies a lot.

Thats good :)

The image in the post above is Emby's normal "no person" actor card.  They all have that when there is no image available.  You probably do not have any images assosiated with this person.

If you have then you need to refresh the metadata, and if your 1st provider in priority has this wrong on their website, youll have to do it manually using identify.

Thats the problem, none of any availible options to refresh metadata or anything else brings the picture to appear.
The only working way is to just CLICK the empty actor card and the image appears and is repaired automatically. No scrape, not refresh, nothing.
I (and many many other users) just dont like to search and click thousands of actors manually.

Therefore the movies or tv shows probably have not been automatically identified with the proper provider id's.  Do you have a lot of movies like this?
This is the image you need from the film vidocq (2001), I think this is what you must have taken the actor card from..

The movie is exactly the one you guessed, and its prefectly tagged and scraped, imdb ID is there thdb ID is there, all the details and most of the actors are there.

Yes, I (and many other users) have many movies with this problem.

My plugin is not going to find anything wrong, because nothing is.

What you have to do is either of these,

1/ Use identify and identify the movie.  TMDB's id is 9597 https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/9597-vidocq ,The reason Emby cannot do this one is because there are about 4 movies with the same name and it cannot determine which one to use.  If you have the the movie database plugin (and enabled in the library settings) and identify with that id, it will pull these images.
Other movies that he is in can be found here:
https://www.themoviedb.org/person/41206-jean-pierre-gos  you can click the image names , the identify id is in the web url. https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/9597-vidocq

click it, and it will grab everything you need.

2/ Add these images manually.

Well, thats sad, because others report (in the thead i mentioned above) that your plugin repairs that (maybe not as a function, but as a side effect). Did you read that?

There is need to find or identify the movie, thats all perfect. Its just the actors that keep grey until you click them - and no way to do that automatic for all.

so sad

mickle026

My plugin will fix broken thumbnails, thats not what you have, you have a metarefresh problem.  Others mention my plugin because it does fix broken thumnails that was caused by OMDB, and MovieDB updating to a new system at that time.  OMDB was still at that time linking to dead links. 

I mentioned identify because that will replace everything with new, just like meta refresh should do but isnt doing.  I know you dont need to identify the movie, but doing so again, should replace the Actors and actor cards for you.

Anyway I try to help so:

I built it again with a new function (please try this one), to force a refresh on cast members in movies, this worked on my test server where Embys menu refresh did not.

790225412_Screenshot2022-02-11at05-58-34Emby.png.d0b1a22e593415c258cb3bddcaaad3fc.png

Threr will be a roprt in logs of which actors it tried to refresh

747641875_Screenshot2022-02-11at06-07-00Emby.png.74e0dcdadaf1b1a504c2c08e5f4d73c4.png

Edited by mickle026
  • Like 1

Commerzpunk

Thank you very much!

I will try this in a moment.

Just to make more clear whats the basic problem here, i did a few more invenstigations on my system.

Still the movie Vidocq, still the actor Jean-Pierre Gos.

It is scraped by Tiny Media Manager freshly a few days ago, the actor is identfied, has a tmdb ID and a scraped image:

grafik.png.20067bb80ca4e3fa06c6007d0f5340c5.png

Even in my filesystem, in the .actor directory, there is the correct picture:

grafik.thumb.png.fc7165c0c69534cfd0743f14d7013c15.png

Just Emby simply does not show it, it just the grey card:

grafik.thumb.png.6f157c23352d3fc853f5304f952b8045.png

As soon as you click the actor, it shows the correct picture and from this moment on in the movie overview too. But its a thing you haev to to actor by actor and no refresh or rescrape inside emby can do it. This is an issue since many years, for many users, and i simply cant understand why its not fixed.

Therefore i ended up to meet you here ;) because thats a chance to fight it!

And thats why i try to explain again and again, and for years, that this is a a problem of wrong or incomplete scraping, its just Emby not showing things that are alreaddy there!

Now, i try your new plugin option.

Edited by Commerzpunk

Commerzpunk

Okay, this ran without errors and showed a very fast "Finished" in the Web UI.

I produced a log file with 17.008 lines, so it did pretty much spmething. ;)

The interesting part is now, that it logged only exact these actors that have the missing (but existing) image. - Jean-Pierre Gos is not in the list because i accidentally clicked, ant therefore repaired, him in my previous investigation.

Just it does not change anything, still the grey cards. (did a Emby Server restart too before and after)

11.Feb.2022  -  07.46.25 Forcing a refresh for: Vidocq & Moussa Maaskri
11.Feb.2022  -  07.46.25 Forcing a refresh for: Vidocq & Pitof
11.Feb.2022  -  07.46.25 Forcing a refresh for: Vidocq & Jean-Christophe Grangé
11.Feb.2022  -  07.46.25 Forcing a refresh for: Vidocq & Isabelle Renauld
11.Feb.2022  -  07.46.25 Forcing a refresh for: Vidocq & Jean-Pol Dubois
11.Feb.2022  -  07.46.25 Forcing a refresh for: Vidocq & Gilles Arbona
11.Feb.2022  -  07.46.25 Forcing a refresh for: Vidocq & Jean-Marc Thibault
11.Feb.2022  -  07.46.25 Forcing a refresh for: Vidocq & François Chattot
11.Feb.2022  -  07.46.25 Forcing a refresh for: Vidocq & Fred Ulysse
11.Feb.2022  -  07.46.25 Forcing a refresh for: Vidocq & Elsa Kikoïne

Edited by Commerzpunk

mickle026

aha !

I see what your issue actually is now!.

".actors"  folder is a reminant from kodi, its a hidden folder within your media.  Im not sure that Emby even uses that.

What I will do is code that in to the plugin on a new button to detect and assign them for Emby to use if they exist.

Please bare with me as I might not have time to do that today.  Setting up a linux sytem today.

Edited by mickle026

GrimReaper
38 minutes ago, mickle026 said:

Im not sure that Emby even uses that.

It doesn't, as far as Emby is concerned it is as that folder doesn't exist at all. Up until 4.5.4.0. People Backup plugin could be used to import those, but development of that plugin has been kinda on a hiatus and not updated for 4.6+ or 4.7+, so implementing same within your plugin would be of utmost usability.

mickle026

Added the Kodi compatability function for you.
This will use ALL the images from your drive and replace any images you may have from other sources. (only .jpg).  This function is in the reapir tab.

It also drops a LOG, which could be huge if you have a massive library! 7 lines and a seperator per person.

Let me know if you want this refining to just missing images, I can add that too, but for now its Person all images

1254056109_Screenshot2022-02-11at16-01-23Emby.png.8fdc1b0b081d553a3366f30828d4a825.png
1613890941_Screenshot2022-02-11at16-00-03Emby.png.48a28d6c2529a78ff6b904dfbc14dec8.png

Edited by mickle026
  • Like 1

mickle026

@TallBoiDez

I am installing linux now on an older computer, its taking forever!
I tried linux mint which was very fast - i liked it, but the emby package fails to install the .deb with a package permission error.  So trying to install ubuntu, and dont think the older pc likes it very much, still installing .... zzzzz. zzZZZ . zzzzZZZZ.. LOL!

• Like 1

GrimReaper
25 minutes ago, mickle026 said:

Added the Kodi compatability function for you.
This will use ALL the images from your drive and replace any images you may have from other sources. (only .jpg).  This function is in the reapir tab.

Great stuff. 👏

25 minutes ago, mickle026 said:

It also drops a LOG, which could be huge if you have a massive library! 7 lines and a seperator per person.

Yep, I do have quite a big library, I could imagine how would that look like. 

28 minutes ago, mickle026 said:

Let me know if you want this refining to just missing images, I can add that too,

Please do, as that would be a primary requirement in my usage case; currently I have slightly under 100,000 persons, majority of which (I'd guess 80-85%) DO have images, as I've been keeping up with them until 4.5.4.0, and just like a month or two ago did a somewhat long workaround with 4.5.4.0>People Backup plugin>4.6.7.0>Migration plugin to bring them up to date with all my .actors subfolders. But it really took some time - and it doesn't solve the problem of newly added content - which implementation of "missing only" in this plugin certainly would. 👍

mickle026

Hold on there is a problem if Emby gets the image aswell !  See image, need to fix that! - Probably need to cache them to metadata folder

Removed the download so you dont corrupt your systems, until I find out whats going on here!

Somehow or other it moves to be a LOGO ??? , I didnt set it as a logo!!!

1160269457_Screenshot2022-02-11at16-42-42Emby.png.25134d0945dc668b2c090c0f7e1d9fed.png

Edited by mickle026

Commerzpunk

Your plugin looks extremly promising, i see a lo of very cool things inside there.

Seems like you work a lot on it, WOW.

I want to continue to discribe how my workflow is and what strange findings i see.

My first and most important tool is Tiny Media Manager.

Its funny that you refer to Kodi or Kodi style. TMM uses presets to match the system that the media is prepared for, and guess what i did choose? ;)

grafik.png.64d7f219cf6249079cd9cdd99d559156.png

That produces the .actor subdirectory.

I was always sure that this is the source where Emby scrapes the actor pictures from at first attempt.

Anyway, where ever it takes the pictures from, it does not explain why many pictures are just gray cards and appear as soon as you click them. Thats a mystery for me.

mickle026

Now appears to be working correctly on my win10 server (not sure about linux yet)

*Fix to ensure Image type is only the Primary Image
*Fix to not link the file on your drive but copy it to the metadata (Thus not allow Emby to delete the original)

Two options Now,

1/ Replace ALL images with those found in your folders
2/ Replace only those that are MISSING with those found in your folders

As with everything I do, test it on a test server first.  Its working on mine but as proved before plugins may misbehave on others systems.

751843306_Screenshot2022-02-11at18-42-42Emby.png.d1efce17941e16c41e962d90f2801969.png1990619269_Screenshot2022-02-11at18-42-23Emby.png.51c2ebaa21ea623741b70b8acb47f5e4.png

Edited by mickle026
  • Like 1

mickle026

Now have Ubuntu up and running with Emby Server on it, itll take a while to work out where stuff is and how to do stuff. 
Im not a linux user so although not completely new to me, its still new to me.

Ubuntu just runs there doesnt appear to be any links?

Scanning in a test library now. 
Then its install the plugin and test.

mickle026
28 minutes ago, Commerzpunk said:

Your plugin looks extremly promising, i see a lo of very cool things inside there.

Seems like you work a lot on it, WOW.

I want to continue to discribe how my workflow is and what strange findings i see.

My first and most important tool is Tiny Media Manager.

Its funny that you refer to Kodi or Kodi style. TMM uses presets to match the system that the media is prepared for, and guess what i did choose? ;)

grafik.png.64d7f219cf6249079cd9cdd99d559156.png

That produces the .actor subdirectory.

I was always sure that this is the source where Emby scrapes the actor pictures from at first attempt.

Anyway, where ever it takes the pictures from, it does not explain why many pictures are just gray cards and appear as soon as you click them. Thats a mystery for me.

I don't think Emby uses that anymore for quite a while now (probably 2 years or so, somebody correct me if i am wrong).

So the confusion seems to have been,  why are they not being used ?

TallBoiDez
44 minutes ago, mickle026 said:

Now appears to be working correctly on my win10 server (not sure about linux yet)

*Fix to ensure Image type is only the Primary Image
*Fix to not link the file on your drive but copy it to the metadata (Thus not allow Emby to delete the original)

Two options Now,

1/ Replace ALL images with those found in your folders
2/ Replace only those that are MISSING with those found in your folders

As with everything I do, test it on a test server first.  Its working on mine but as proved before plugins may misbehave on others systems.

751843306_Screenshot2022-02-11at18-42-42Emby.png.d1efce17941e16c41e962d90f2801969.png1990619269_Screenshot2022-02-11at18-42-23Emby.png.51c2ebaa21ea623741b70b8acb47f5e4.png

Custom Provider.zip 2.99 MB · 2 downloads

@mickle026i just want to say the restoring from the .actors feature you added is working well on my server.

Edited by TallBoiDez
  • Like 1

mickle026
8 minutes ago, TallBoiDez said:

i just want to say the restoring from the .actors feature you added is working well on my server.

So you dont have the path building error?