VPN and LiveTv, a few questions

Yodikko
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

Hello. I'm actually running an Emby server on my Lubuntu laptop with a VPN always on. So with all the device i connect remotely, with the TV too. I was wondering if I watch live TV on the TV (without VPN because my TV doesn't have any softwere to do it, but still the VPN is on on the laptop/server) is safe? I mean do i "send" the ip of the server to the providers or the ip of the television? Do I have to turn on VPN on all devices I want to see live TV on to be safe and mask my ip or my server with his VPN mask already. 

It maybe is a super dumb question, I know. 

So if I got this correct your laptop is running a VPN client connected to a public network.  On this laptop you also have Emby Server running.  
Now on the same LAN you have a TV you want to connect to Emby Server correct?

Should be nothing wrong with this setup as your Emby Server will have a LOCAL IP shown in the Dashboard as well (possible) a remote address.  You just use the local IP and set that up for all in house clients including the TV.

All in house connections to your Emby Server will not care about the VPN connection as it's not be used for them.  The VPN connection will only be used by the Emby Server for Internet traffic but not local traffic.

Hope that helps.

Sorry I'll explain better because I'm afraid I didn't understand well. 

My laptop/server is running at home with a VPN always connected.

From every single device I connect to Emby, I do it remotely, not locally. So my question is, if with one of these device with my real IP, I connect to the server and then the IPTV, will the IP of this device masked to the provider? 

In this case you likely want to setup Emby using the VPN remote IP you get and either get a static IP from the VPN provider or use a DDNS or Emby Connect.

As long as all communication is going through the VPN the provider will have no idea what services your Emby Server or users are using as they won't see any traffic expect the encrypted VPN traffic.

Did that answer your question clearly?

I guess..no I'm sorry. That's just me that struggles with english and those networking things I don't understand. What you mean by :

57 minutes ago, cayars said:

In this case you likely want to setup Emby using the VPN remote IP you get and either get a static IP from the VPN provider or use a DDNS or Emby Connect.

The server is already running with the VPN on a static IP with the port 8069 opened. And i connect from any device by the remote IP. Is what you said there?

I'm so sorry, I'll read again but I still don't get it. 

So if any connection go through the VPN of my server, the IPTV provider will see always the same IP of the VPN and not my real IP? (just server with VPN not the device connecting).

• Solution

Yes ignore it as you have it setup correct.

Yes to your second question as well.

Your setup is correct for what you want to do.

• Like 1

Thank you!

So just to be sure, you are sure that I can remotely connect to the server with a device without the VPN and the ip will masked to the IPTV provider thanks to the VPN running on my server? You know just to be 101% sure!

Edited by Yodikko

Here is how you can tell for yourself.

Login into your Emby Server web dashboard.

Now look at the REMOTE IP being show.  If this IP belongs to your VPN provider then that is the IP that will be used.

• 2 weeks later...
groenator

Not sure if this would help with your case. I have IPTV and I wanted to be configured behind VPN. What I did was configured nextPvR with IPTV, the nextPVR sits behind VPN. Emby (which is not on VPN) has access to nextPVR via the local IP. So now when I play a channel from TV it goes via nextPVR and then out using VPN. All my stuff runs inside docker containers. 

Is this something you are looking for?

4 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

i did similar except i use xteve as the proxy rather than nextpvr. its just much simpler and lightweight.

I've helped users remotely doing exactly this same thing so you can selectively run only your m3u streams through the VPN and it's perfect for that using split tunnel.

Edited by cayars

groenator

True! I used to use xteve too, I moved to nextpvr because in nextPVR I don't need to configure any stream buffer. And I would know dor sure that my emby client connects via VPN.

Edited by groenator

Wait, I didn't do any of these things. I just run the emby server on a laptop with a VPN always on (i connect remotely with other devices). Is it the same thing, right?

Spaceboy
8 minutes ago, cayars said:

I've helped users remotely doing exactly this same thing so you can selectively run only your m3u streams through the VPN and it's perfect for that using split tunnel.

i put xteve, the vpn and a little script that pulls down and does some initial editing of the m3u on a virtual machine with a £5 windows licence off ebay running in Hyper V. i wasnt very successful with tunnelling/selective routing and this works well with a kill switch on the VPN too

• Like 1

Spaceboy
2 minutes ago, Yodikko said:

Wait, I didn't do any of these things. I just run the emby server on a laptop with a VPN always on (i connect remotely with other devices). Is it the same thing, right?

yes, just if you want the machine to do other things (such as for example downloading certain things....) then the speed of that will be hit by the VPN, separating it stops that

Edited by Spaceboy

5 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

i put xteve, the vpn and a little script that pulls down and does some initial editing of the m3u on a virtual machine with a £5 windows licence off ebay running in Hyper V. i wasnt very successful with tunnelling/selective routing and this works well with a kill switch on the VPN too

Not all VPN provider's split tunnel feature are on par with each other.  I use PIA VPN which handles this well on the same machine.  This also works well for those using Vuze like programs.

Edited by cayars

3 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

yes, just if you want the machine to do other things (such as for example downloading certain things....) then the speed of that will be hit by the VPN, separating it stops that

Oh, is it easy to separate it?

Spaceboy
43 minutes ago, Yodikko said:

Oh, is it easy to separate it?

see cayars post. personally i didnt find that way reliable and it only cost me £5 to build a VM that provides 100% security. with the authorities taking over iptv servers and recording clients acessing them in the UK i need 100% security

4 hours ago, Yodikko said:

Oh sure ahm..but wich post?

Two ways to accomplish this.

1) Use VPN service that has split tunnel functionality so you can pick/choose which programs run through VPN and which do not.
2) Use a different machine (real or virtual) to host everything running through VPN

#2 is what spaceboy is doing and will work with any VPN service and is pretty fool proof and doesn't cause you grief when VPN reconnects or glitches.

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1