Problems with purchesing Unlock App on Android TV Setup BOX

SteelCat

SteelCat

Hello,

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere or I posted in the wrong section, but I search a bit on the forum, but everything I found is related in a way, but not specifically the same as my issue, so I decided to create a topic.

The thing is that my sister cannot use Emby App on her new Samsung TV. The app unfortunately is not available in the TV store, I tried to trick the TV and make the store think that Im for USA, but it seems Samsung is a little bit smarter than LG, so that didn't work. At first I managed to install the app via USB, but after she was having some issues with playback, I decided to update it and messed everything up apparently.

Now I cannot even install the new version of the app via USB, because it giver me emby.tmg, invalid app package for security check failed! error. I tried all sorts of USB types and sizes, even tried to format it to FAT16 and FAT32, which is nearly impossible on Windows 10, because it's not available as an option on bigger sizes of thumb drives. So I installed an Android TV version on hers TV setup BOX.

Everything was fine and dandy, but little as I know I found out that Emby for Android TV is not free. I chose to get the Unlock App feature (I cannot use Emby Premiere, my comp. and server are too weak for transcoding and I don't watch podcasts and other stuff), the app doesn't detect the credit cards in hers G-pay account.

Here is a screen shot of her account which shown there is nothing wrong with the credit card that are in there, but the app just don't go further, if I push It's done it just stays on the same menu.
I even try to change the language, region to United States, but it doesn't help.

Any one had something like that or has some suggestion on what else I can try?

Thank your help.

Regards,
 Steel

kEcld.png

Hi. Once you get to the payment step, you are no longer in our app.  You are then in the Google Play Store app.  Is this box a certified Android TV box with the Google Play Store on it?

SteelCat
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi. Once you get to the payment step, you are no longer in our app.  You are then in the Google Play Store app.  Is this box a certified Android TV box with the Google Play Store on it?

Hi,

tnx for answering. I get to the point where is asked me: go to g.co/managewallet on you your computer and add a valid payment method, once your done return here and compete the payment. If I click "It's done" button it just reloads the same page. 

As far as I know yes. It's a TV BOX, that you get from your ISP to be able to watch IP TV. You connect one end with your network cable to your main router / modem and the other with a HDMI cable to your TV.

OS is Android and you can log in with you Google account and go to the store and install Apps that are on in store. However you cannot install your own apps, or change anything system like on it (like upgrade the firmware,....), that is done by the ISP tech Team remotely.  I can try and get the version and build of the OS next time when I visit my sister if you thing that would be useful. I will also try another crack at the USB app, I saw it a couple of minutes a go that a new version was published on github.

Regards,
 Steel

Hi.  I would ask the provider of that box about purchasing In-App items via the Google Play store. 

SteelCat
20 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I would ask the provider of that box about purchasing In-App items via the Google Play store. 

Hi,

thanks for the suggestion, I will check this information as well. Before I installed Emby from Google Play store onto the device I called their support and asked if this is even possible / permited since it is generally their device. They replied: If the app is published on the official G-play store yes. Of course I didn't thought about asking if that only works for free apps or payable as well. Sorry if I unintentionally qualifed Emby as payable, because on some platforms (like LG or Samsung) is not. I'm not even sure if an In-app purchase alone qualifies an app as payable?

I will post updates, when I get them.

Tnx for help.

SteelCat
11 hours ago, Luke said:

@SteelCat are you still having an issue with this?

Hi Luke,

tnx for your concern. I have followed Ebr's advice and called my sisters ISP, last Thursday. After explaining my issue to all 3 level's of tech support, the last one said that it's very unlikely that the device is locked for installing payable apps, but since they haven't had that kind of issue before, he forwarded my issue to the developer team, just to be sure.
They haven't called me back yet. 

As for trying to install the latest version of Tizen app, that was released on 15.01.2021, via USB, I haven't visited my sisters house yet.

I'll wait for another 2-3 days before, I'll call ISP's support again. 
I'll get in touch as soon as I get new info.

Regards,
 Steel

Edited by SteelCat

• 1 month later...
SteelCat
On 24/01/2021 at 19:50, Luke said:

Ok thanks for following up. Let us know how you get on.

Hello,

I apologize for a very very long delay in my response. I have been a little busy. It now certain that I will not get any answer from my sisters ISP, I called back and told them that I haven't got any feedback from them in 14 days, and there reply was: We are very sorry, it not clear why your report to our R&D hasn't been taken yet, but,...

Anyways, I have finally managed to make some time, visit my sisters and try the steps I said I would do. Unfortunately the version of the Tizen app, (uploaded 15.01.2021), still does not install.
Here is a couple of screenshots. I', sorry for the reflection in the TV, hope you can read the text and that my hairdo looks good enough. 😂

Regards,
 Steel

01_Install_error_SamsungApp.jpg

02_Update_SamsungTV.jpg

03_About_SamsungTV.jpg

04_About_AndroindBox.jpg

05_Unlock_Emby1.jpg

06_Unlock_Emby2.jpg

07_Unlock_Emby3.jpg

SteelCat
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Did you add a payment method to Google as indicated on that last screen?

Yes, that's done. I thought of adding .txt to each picture after I posted so I apologize if my last post is missing any key info. 

Here is a picture from the beginning of the thread. :) 

And the same account is also used in the Play Store on the Android Pie device. The issue here is that if I press "It's done" it just keeps returning to the same menu.
So either there is something wrong with an app / TV not being able to recognize the payment method being put in or G-pay doesn't work in my country at all, which I doubt, because I know many friends, that buy stuff on G-Play without problems.

The idea of buying something that I will never be able to use, doesn't sound quite good to me, as I or my sister do not own any other Android device.  We're both kind a Apple fans. :P 

kEcld.png

One more thing every software version (TV, STD box) is on the latest version. I mean I updated every thing before I tried to install Emby Tizen app.
And I should point out, that Emby was installed on this TV before. I removed it as per instructions before installing the new one. 

Well as it turns out I broke the first rule of IT: Don't update if it's not completely broken. 🤦‍♂️ 

Regards,
 Steel

Edited by SteelCat

So, as a recap, you found an Android TV ROM and installed it on a provider's set top box and that is what you're trying to run our app on?

SteelCat
1 hour ago, ebr said:

So, as a recap, you found an Android TV ROM and installed it on a provider's set top box and that is what you're trying to run our app on?

No, unfortunately I do not have that kind of knowledge about Android systems.

The ISP's STD box came with the Android OS installed. All I did was update it via in build settings menu. The box checked for updates and installed it.
I was surprised to be able to that at all. But I guest this provider do not have too many "what does this button do" cases open or they don't care, or don't know how to lock their systems properly or it cannot be done.

I don't have a picture before the update, I'm sorry. But the Unlock App didn't work before either, so I don't think I messed it up more by pushing the update button. :)

Regards,
 Steel

• 3 weeks later...
SteelCat

Hi,

I have did a quick check on Google Pay Help pages and my country is not in the list where Google Pay can be used for online payments or in apps. https://support.google.com/pay/answer/9023773?hl=en&ref_topic=7625138#zippy=%2Cpay-online-or-in-apps 

I will however contact them via mail from my sisters Google account just to make sure.

Regardless of how that will turned out, did any of you know why I cannot install Emby from the USB no more? The screenshots are all above in previous posts.

Thank you for you help,

Regards,
 Steel

2 hours ago, SteelCat said:

I have did a quick check on Google Pay Help pages and my country is not in the list where Google Pay can be used for online payments or in apps. https://support.google.com/pay/answer/9023773?hl=en&ref_topic=7625138#zippy=%2Cpay-online-or-in-apps

Let us know how that comes out.  Thanks for reporting back.

• 1 month later...
SteelCat
On 30/03/2021 at 20:46, SteelCat said:

Regardless of how that will turned out, did any of you know why I cannot install Emby from the USB no more? The screenshots are all above in previous posts.

Any ideas on my second issue?

Edited by SteelCat

4 hours ago, SteelCat said:

did any of you know why I cannot install Emby from the USB no more?

Exactly what are you trying to do here?  This app has never installed from  USB (unless, I guess you manually put the APK on a USB drive and connected it).

SteelCat

I have two separate issues, one let to another. :)

1. I'm trying to manually install a Tizen app onto my sisters Samsung TV.  I allready had one installed like that, but then I was trying to update it and managed to erased the old one and now I cannot install the new one (all the screenshoots are above in previous posts).

2. Because I cannot use the official Tizen App I installed the Android App onto her TV box, but unfortunately that version isn't completely free, and as you all ready know I'm having issues with buying the unlock app via G-play.

Regards,
 Steel 

Edited by SteelCat

Okay, so the best course of action here is probably for you to figure out how to get the Tizen app back on the TV.  Please create a new topic in that forum for help on that issue.

I don't believe there is going to be a way to get by whatever purchase wall we're hitting on that set top box.

Or, of course, you could get Emby Premiere and then you wouldn't need to purchase the unlock :).

• 1 year later...
Sneldo11

I’m having a very similar issue to this where I have purchased to unlock the Emby app but I’m still having issues with device limit reached errors. When I click restore unlock it says I haven’t purchased but when I click unlock app it says I’ve already purchased?

19 hours ago, Sneldo11 said:

I’m having a very similar issue to this where I have purchased to unlock the Emby app but I’m still having issues with device limit reached errors. When I click restore unlock it says I haven’t purchased but when I click unlock app it says I’ve already purchased?

Hi.  Are you using your server or someone else's?