Shield Experience 8.2.2

CBers

CBers

Enhancements

• Adds support for new Xbox Series S/X and Playstation Dual Sense controllers
  • Adds support for Control4 home automation systems
  • Adds option in advanced sound settings to disable volume control notifications

Bug fixes

Display:

• Resolve issue where flashing color band would be visible when viewing video in portrait mode
  • Resolves corruption issue observed at the bottom of the screen when upscaling content to 4K displays

Network/Storage:

• Fixes bug where password for sharing folders on SHIELD over network would reset after upgrade
  • Fixes bug where sharing folders on SHIELD over network would not work after upgrade if space is present in username
  • Resolves issue where user could not re-enter Wi-Fi password for low power APs
  • Resolves issue where some USB connected drives would not reconnect on wakeup

Accessories:

• Resolves issue where holding volume up/down would not be detected by some devices
  • Resolves issue where SHIELD Controller 2017 would not recharge

Audio:

• Fixes bug where manually setting Audio output formats was not working correctly
  • Fixes bug where audio from USB DAC would not function properly when switching between PCM and Dolby source
  • Resolves issue where system volume was still being controlled right after IR volume control configured

Other: Restores ability to take screenshots in 4K (requires display set to 4K)

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/428527/shield-experience-upgrade-822released-1192021/

• Like 5

vdatanet

There are still high bitrate content playback issues on Shield 2019 (Tube). 

A curious thing, it seems to be that it only affects Plex and Emby, they both behave identically. But it seems that it does not affect the Jellyfin client, although I do not like that client at all, it seems Emby a couple of years ago, I have played Vertigo (my highest bitrate movie, over 80 Mbps) without any problem. Yes, I have made sure that the playback was direct. What could be happening? Can someone else check it out?

They use an older exoplayer version, can it be relevant?

implementation("com.amazon.android:exoplayer:2.11.3")

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

vdatanet
39 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

There's nothing to attach. While direct playing high bitrate content (HEVC HDR more than 20-30 Mbs) on both Plex and Emby, playback freezes and the device stops responding. On the other hand, other players like Jellyfin and Kodi, do not have that problem.

18 hours ago, sammy2 said:

Why no response to this question? I have the same problem. Yes, other apps can play the content such as Kodi.

This was identified a while ago by NVidia as a memory leak in their firmware.  No idea why it hasn't been addressed.  Maybe it isn't really a leak but, rather, a limitation of that particular hardware.

raven-au
10 hours ago, ebr said:

This was identified a while ago by NVidia as a memory leak in their firmware.  No idea why it hasn't been addressed.  Maybe it isn't really a leak but, rather, a limitation of that particular hardware.

Or hard to find bug(s) in the Android garbage collection etc.

vdatanet
On 1/28/2021 at 1:52 PM, ebr said:

The memory leak is supposed to have been fixed (although I doubt it), but my question was why affects Plex and Emby, but using Jellyfin Android TV app, playback is perfect. I can play a 80 Mbps movie in a row. In my opinion, the device is capable, but who knows what is wrong with it? My answer is nobody.

Edited by vdatanet

RandomBlackCat

Does this problem only appear with shield tube version? Because I have similar issues with my shield pro 2019 and it acts odd whenever I try to play extremely high bitrate content.

vdatanet
4 hours ago, vdatanet said:

The memory leak is supposed to have been fixed (although I doubt it), but my question was why affects Plex and Emby, but using Jellyfin Android TV app, playback is perfect. I can play a 80 Mbps movie in a row. In my opinion, the device is capable, but who knows what is wrong with it? My answer is nobody.

More testing, if in jellyfin client I force the player to Exoplayer instead of auto, I get the same behavior than using Emby and Plex. So I guess the issue is with exoplayer, Google or Nvidia? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RandomBlackCat said:

Does this problem only appear with shield tube version? Because I have similar issues with my shield pro 2019 and it acts odd whenever I try to play extremely high bitrate content.

What exactly is "acts odd" and "extremely high"?

vdatanet
3 minutes ago, RandomBlackCat said:

Only with 2019 Tube, with 2019 Pro and 2017, I hva no issues with high bitrate content.

RandomBlackCat

So it starts kind of buffering and stuttering completely intermittently. Bitrate where I start noticing issues is 60mbps and up. In the same time my shield is directly attached to Ethernet and Speedtest with server reaches 1gb down

Just now, RandomBlackCat said:

So it starts kind of buffering and stuttering completely intermittently. Bitrate where I start noticing issues is 60mbps and up. In the same time my shield is directly attached to Ethernet and Speedtest with server reaches 1gb down

That sounds like there is probably a bottleneck somewhere in the system.  The issue referenced here crashes the entire device.

• Like 1

raven-au
7 hours ago, RandomBlackCat said:

This is all interesting.

I have done quite a bit of testing with the tube and I have a Pro as well.

Some observations I have made are:

1) Movie encodes are not all equal.

For example Mission Impossible I (recent HDR, DV release) originally caused a lot of problems at a fairly low bitrate, I didn't take note of the original bitrate, probably was in the 20Mbps region.

Re-encoding with DVDFab to get the DV resulted in an encode that wants a bit over 50 Mbps (questionable whether I should use the original video track but that's a different question) and it plays fine on the tube.

I've seen this pattern several times now with HDR movies so I've concluded that some encoding apps don't do a very good job when playback resources are scarce or bitrate is high enough to not allow sufficient buffering to smooth out variations in delivery of video for playback.

2) Server load can adversely affect playback.

I have been able to cause problems, even for the Pro, by increasing server load.

It's not yet clear if that is both IO and CPU load and whether it's a particular device driver that is behaving badly.

Certainly using a VM on my QNAP NAS (VirtIO storage driver) and doing stuff that results in high IO can cause playback problems for both the tube and the Pro.

I have had the impression that CPU may also do this but can't confirm it.

I have also seen this when IO is a bit high and my VM is not involved at all.

From this I've concluded that latency introduced by load (eg. file system locking) can cause playback problems with high bitrate movies because, if the buffer can't build up enough frames to handle the latency, the playback app must wait for more frames that can take too long to arrive for smooth playback.

The reality here is that there shouldn't really be a problem with movies in the region of 100Mbps because that really shouldn't be too hard to deliver over a network but the playback app doesn't seem terribly good at dealing with it.

Other thoughts are I don't have any real evidence:

1) Memory leaks or memory re-claim.

It's very likely there are memory leaks in Andriod, that's not going to change any time soon.

There's also the Android garbage collection system.

Given the data volumes involved here it's quite possible that the Andriod garbage collection system will kick in when the playback app tries to allocate new storage that will introduce latency and the playback problems that come with it. Larger pre-allocation at app startup should help with this but can really only help if the app can read the data coming in fast enough which it should be able to do.

I may be saying things that people already know and saying this probably isn't going to help much but I thought some might find it useful since I don't have much problem with tube playback myself but my movies are all less than 60Mbps so maybe it's not surprising.

One lat thing I have found is that it appears that Plex sometimes does strange things to the Shield during play back so it's necessary to be careful when testing because use of Plex can adversely affect Emby playback (terminate Plex app and reboot is mostly adequate) leading to false negative results using Emby. It's my impression so far that Emby works better than Plex with this problematic playback but maybe I' mistaken, ;)

Ian

Edited by raven-au
  • Like 1

raven-au
59 minutes ago, raven-au said:

One lat thing I have found is that it appears that Plex sometimes does strange things to the Shield during play back so it's necessary to be careful when testing because use of Plex can adversely affect Emby playback (terminate Plex app and reboot is mostly adequate) leading to false negative results using Emby. It's my impression so far that Emby works better than Plex with this problematic playback but maybe I' mistaken, ;)

That is to say when Plex playback goes bad it seems to affect Emby playback, it doesn't seem to be a problem if Plex playback works ok.

vdatanet

Another interesting thing, setting playback buffer to small, problem is gone away. Playing Vertigo at 84 Mbps without issues! Maybe the Tube can't handle larger buffers.

Edited by vdatanet

raven-au
1 hour ago, vdatanet said:

Another interesting thing, setting playback buffer to small, problem is gone away. Playing Vertigo at 84 Mbps without issues! Maybe the Tube can't handle larger buffers.

Right, I did see reports about that which sounded sensible, but I also had the issue of encodes that aren't up to scratch for playback which I encoded to a higher quality and ended up with a higher bit rate and they play fine without changing this setting. That sounds counter-intuitive but it's what I've seen. I suspect I used a different application to encode the problematic titles.

So I have the same issues with playback with Hi-Bit rate MKV's  how ever its only on EMBY, not with PLEX.  PLEX plays back just fine.  Every thing up to date and both servers are on the same PC.  Not sure why.  I started a new thread before I read this one.  LOL

2 hours ago, mpg732 said:

So I have the same issues with playback with Hi-Bit rate MKV's  how ever its only on EMBY, not with PLEX.  PLEX plays back just fine.  Every thing up to date and both servers are on the same PC.  Not sure why.  I started a new thread before I read this one.  LOL

We'll help you in your topic that you opened. Thanks.